SOO vs STORM

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm77
Squall
Squall

For all the talk about what happened to us this year I though I would pose this question:

Is it time for our boys, especially Billy and Cam, to withdraw from representative football?

They themselves talk about how it gets more draining every year and after all these years and after all the extra games they have played between SOO and finals I am wondering if they can no longer handle the workload.

If you think about manly for Example. JL doesn't play SOO. BS has actually missed a lot of games as well as many NRL games because of injury while DCE has just started playing and KF never will. Which means only AW has played any kind of consistent SOO series in recent times. Hell even GS hasn't been much of a factor.
The Roosters really haven't been affected either.
So is it time we actually asked our guys to put the Storm ahead of Queensland?.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a good question but I honestly don't think so. We just have to be better with managing their workload around origin and also get better around them so we don't have to rely on them so much.

By everyone else getting better we wont have to rely on the big 3 so much.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As a Victorian, I hate Origin, I don't care beyond hoping the Qld wins because it p*sses off NSW and it stuffs up my team!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Our big 3 have had to play at least 30 games this season. 3 SOO.. WCC and Test game against NZ plus 2 finals and at least 24 NRL games. Add all the travel and that is a huge workload for our Champions. Now they have to load up again for the World cup. I hope they don`t play SOO next season.Will the nrl load up the chooks or manly in the first 3 or 4 rounds next season like they did to Storm this season.I don`t think they will.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It might be just me but as much as i love the Storm watching the NRL season i honestly couldn't give a toss about the world cup. IMO it's only a token event with only 2 realistic chances of winning it and i see it more of a hindrance to our boys and stopping them from getting the rest they deserve and need.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a necessity though to grow the game internationally
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:It's a necessity though to grow the game internationally
While i can understand the potential benefits in that respect, call me narrow minded and anything similar but for me personally and at the risk of copping it i honestly couldn't care less how big the game gets internationally. That's not a knock on you Matt or anyone who does think that's important, it's just all i care about is how the Storm do in the NRL and that's all.

I'm one of those weird types that follow the AFL as well (although follow NRL/Storm much closer) and AFL does just fine without the international presence. I can't remember the last time i even thought about anyone who watches the game OS, we've got a shitload more to do in our own backyard in Australia to grow the game before we worry about any other country IMO.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

oh please,

Roosters had 4 players involved in SOO and look at them, proper management and focus got them to the GF.

SOO was not to blame for our end of season fade out
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:oh please,

Roosters had 4 players involved in SOO and look at them, proper management and focus got them to the GF.

Gotta agree. Origin obviously affects us at the time but I think we rely too much on it as an excuse sometimes.

We have had to deal with this for a long time now. Our players and coaching staff have been through it year after year and put a lot of time and effort into managing workloads. If anything, the guys probably get a bit too much time off over Origin. Each year we here that the Origin players do very little training over that 10 week period and then have reduced schedules for a few weeks afterwards.

Cohesion obviously suffers.

But even putting that aside, an Origin hangover did not affect us in September last year. IMO it didn't affect us this year. Our issues were there for us all to see. You can't really blame poor completions/dropped balls, defensive lapses, lack of passion, general laziness on Origin.

I take nothing away from those saying that Origin affects us, it obviously does. I just dismiss any notion that it cost us a Premiership shot. We have/had bigger underlying problems that weren't addressed.
storm77
Squall
Squall

Sorry but your missing the point.

It isn't about this year. It is about how many games they have played in total.
CC= 261
BS=290
CS= 322

Compare to roosters:
MP=168
MJ=164
JM=108

Even Manly:
DCE= 72
KF=107
BS=177
GS=171
AW= 279
JL= 312. But he hasn't played SOO for years and 63 of those games were in England which isn't like playing in the NRL.

With the exception of a couple of guys on that list our guys have played a hell of a lot more footy then the other key players on other teams.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storm77 wrote:

With the exception of a couple of guys on that list our guys have played a hell of a lot more footy then the other key players on other teams.
Some pertinent points there and ones that can't be ignored. Not sure if your stats include international games as well but the simple fact is when you've played Origin years on end, international games in the off season which also cuts into their break all on top of 10 years in first grade it's near impossible for it not to have an affect, even more so given the boys aren't getting any younger. They aren't robots.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storm77 wrote:

Sorry but your missing the point.

CC= 261
BS=290
CS= 322

Compare to roosters:
MP=168
MJ=164
JM=108

Even Manly:
DCE= 72
KF=107
BS=177
GS=171
AW= 279
JL= 312. But he hasn't played SOO for years and 63 of those games were in England which isn't like playing in the NRL.

Nailed it.

Brilliant.

This is why 2013 died in the arse for Storm.

40% of the salary cap tied up in 3 very tired boys.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm with Nacho on this. It is the team's cohesion that suffers most as a result of the origin, not the rep players.
Cam, Bill, Coops and Hoffy cannot be blamed for form slump. They didn't have exceptionally poor games attributable to origin fatigue.
Our problem is that our rep players, unlike most other clubs, are our entire spine. So to train without them and then play with them is just ridiculous.
I reckon we should rest the rep players on game days, but keep them at training around the origin period. This is also a better mentoring opportunity for their 'under study's' to learn their trade.
Worst case scenario is we lose a handful of games around origin period, games we are losing anyway.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure what the right option is on resting them. I definitely don't think resting training has helped with cohesion over the past few years. We've just look horrible the last 2 years during and after origin. Only problem is will the rep players want to sit out ?
storm77
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:
storm77 wrote:

Some pertinent points there and ones that can't be ignored. Not sure if your stats include international games as well but the simple fact is when you've played Origin years on end, international games in the off season which also cuts into their break all on top of 10 years in first grade it's near impossible for it not to have an affect, even more so given the boys aren't getting any younger. They aren't robots.
Yeah, SOO and Kangaroos games (not counting something like PM's team).