SOO vs STORM

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i dont blame origin for the boys being tired, im thinking it was a hard pre season and they put in too much in the WCC and first 8 rounds. they were untouchable early on and couldnt keep it going for the rest of the year.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I'm not sure what the right option is on resting them. I definitely don't think resting training has helped with cohesion over the past few years. We've just look horrible the last 2 years during and after origin. Only problem is will the rep players want to sit out ?
Nope, they won't want to sit out. Origin is something players aspire to achieve. It's catch 22 - if you want origin standard players, you have to let them play origin, as they won't go to a club who doesn't support them achieving goals.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think it's a fair compromise in this stage of their careers.....either no more origin, or have a couple of extra games off during the origin period, I'm sure their bodies would appreciate it. I prefer the second option, as long as they are the best choice for origin, they should be playing it - just not to the detriment of the club, they aren't getting any younger - an extra two weeks off might get us an extra two weeks in next years finals!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I'm not sure what the right option is on resting them. I definitely don't think resting training has helped with cohesion over the past few years. We've just look horrible the last 2 years during and after origin. Only problem is will the rep players want to sit out ?
Nope, they won't want to sit out. Origin is something players aspire to achieve. It's catch 22 - if you want origin standard players, you have to let them play origin, as they won't go to a club who doesn't support them achieving goals.
Yea exactly. So it really will just come down to the NRL actually giving a crap about its players and sorting out a better origin schedule. Player welfare is a massive issue in the NRL.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm will never deny a player from playing rep footy. The mere thought of it is ridiculous.

The NRL don't give two ****'s about player welfare. And nor does their master, channel Nein.

The rep players should be informed that they will not be selected to play on the weekend immediately following a rep game. They should be encouraged to take pride in mentoring the younger players to perform well in their absence. Something similar to the old 'baby Broncos' mentality.
storm77
Squall
Squall

I get that the Storm would never ask but here is the thing.
How many rep games do you have to pay in. How many SOO series do you need to win in a row.
If there was such a thing as a HOF (and why there isn't after 105 years is mind-boggling) then all three would be first ballot selections.
I do wonder if you don't get to the point where your just playing for the sake of playing because it isn't like it is going to matter if they play another game for Australia or win another SOO series.
At the end of the day they get payed a lot of money to play for the Storm. Yes I get that they get payed to play rep football as well but at some point I wonder if you start putting your league team ahead of everything else.
Look at JL. He chose manly over NSW and he is considered the best center in the game.
I guess my concern is that they care more about playing for Queensland then they do the Storm and I would actually be disappointed in them if they chose rep football over us if they were asked to do so.
Not that they will be but I wouldn't mind if they stood down themselves.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think using Jamie Lyon as an example is what you want to be doing....he's not, not playing rep footy for the sake of his club...the guy is all about himself - always has been, not that i think that's a terrible thing....but he made the decision for himself, not for Manly.

As i said previously, if you're the best suited to play origin in your position, you should be playing (Lyon included) but when it's blatantly clear it has negative effects on your club, something really should be done - I'm with the majority who think all 3 (if good enough....and of course they will be for a while to come yet) should keep playing origin....but also believe they should have some regular season games off - their pride may get in the way of that happening, but i believe it's for the best for everyone involved. That said, i'll be one of the first to celebrate a retirement from rep footy announcement from any one of the 3 mainstays (and i'm a QLD supporter!).

It's not a matter of how many rep games they play, series they win or even money they make......It's validation that they are the best at what they do, and they deserve the recognition - and if i was them, i'd keep playing origin until i couldn't play anymore, or someone better comes along (pffft...unlikely!! :lol:)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's also different for QLD players. They never want to let down their state, guys like Lyon and other Blues players only care for themselves. It's pretty much known how badly this current QLD team want 10 in a row, I can't see any of them wanting to retire before they do that. Although Cronk might find it hard to keep his spot with how well DCE is playing.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:Although Cronk might find it hard to keep his spot with how well DCE is playing.
That's a bit harsh on the reigning Dally M Medallist isn't it???
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not really. Meninga will eventually want to move DCE into the starting team, he's had an unreal finals series and if he keeps it up will pressure Cronk even more.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Blazza you are forgetting about the combination of Smith/Cronk/Slater. DCE does not have this. This is one of the reason NSW went with a team combination 6/7 this year and it nearly got NSW home.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

You're also forgetting the fact Cooper had paid his dues, waiting behind Lockyer/Thurston for his crack at the number 7 jeresy....that's where DCE is now (and personally...i don't buy into his hype)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We'll see.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Coops' downfall is that he's clinically boring. He has a mental telepathy thing happening with Cam & Bill, a terrific 40/20 strike rate, and pinpoint accurate kicking game.
When he does what he does he makes it look easy, and so many think it is.
Other great halves don't share the same methodical skills, but often pull off some soectacular off-the-cuff pieces of play which make them appear like superman.
The reality is the high percentage stuff mightn't look as spectacular, but it wins more games than razzle dazzle.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Queensland are big on playing the incumbents and it would take a fair decline in form for Coops to be dropped. If he can play consistently well the there's no way he'll be dropped and the spot will be his for at least the next couple of years, especially if QLD continue winning, they also don't like tinkering much with a winning formula unless they have to and why would you?

Of course DCE will be the next QLD halfback but until CC starts showing signs of decline and doesn't deserve the spot he's still got a while to wait yet. Just as Coops had to.