Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:58 am Now, Melbourne, ffs, you now have the opportunity to totally overhaul the idiocy that is our captain(s) set-up. An abject failure in 2021 and a great opportunity to set things right, moving forward.
Is it a failure if we win the Premiership?
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

As much as I love dale if losing dale means we keep cheese I’ll take that any day.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm more disappointed seeing him go now than I was at the start of the season. Four years for the player he is is insane though and I wonder if the Sharks and Tigers were the only teams offering that.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Mstorm1999 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:16 pm As much as I love dale if losing dale means we keep cheese I’ll take that any day.
Amen. Smith and Grant hooker and lock combo. Magnificent!!!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am
Lucas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:25 am
Itzbek the Purple wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 am So do we look at keeping Tepai Moeroa and spend more time on getting Howarth up to NRL level?
I'd like to hear where Moeroa is at. Hasn't been able to play many games at all since joining our system.

Howarth needs to be persisted with regardless of what happens with Dale.
Howarths highlights from school look phenomenal. David Fifita meets NAS, I'd be looking long term and investing heavily into him and Loiero as I think Felise (while reliable) may need some competition for his position and light a fire under him.
We need someone to light a fire under J Brom more than Felise, my opinion of course.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:57 am Interesting who will be captain next year now - do they leave it as J Brom or someone younger?

White Rhino? Munster? K Brom?
Tough call as you would assume Welch is another flight risk/target given we realistically were able to keep him due to injury.

I'd go Hughes. Let Munster play with no off field responsibility.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm
Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:58 am Now, Melbourne, ffs, you now have the opportunity to totally overhaul the idiocy that is our captain(s) set-up. An abject failure in 2021 and a great opportunity to set things right, moving forward.

That's not the deciding factor. The fact is, we have seen bugger all 'captaincy' from either this year... and if any other team was interested in the other, I'd sell him in a heartbeat. Just look at the enthusiasm when Pene hit the field with immediate impact, last game. Now, he's off too.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 pm
Lucas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm

That's not the deciding factor. The fact is, we have seen bugger all 'captaincy' from either this year... and if any other team was interested in the other, I'd sell him in a heartbeat. Just look at the enthusiasm when Pene hit the field with immediate impact, last game. Now, he's off too.
It's not the deciding factor? How else do you measure leadership if not level of success achieved?

Not sure what Pene leaving has to do with anything, either. Was he going to be our next captain?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Bullucked wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:36 pm
nacho wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 am
Lucas wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:25 am
I'd like to hear where Moeroa is at. Hasn't been able to play many games at all since joining our system.

Howarth needs to be persisted with regardless of what happens with Dale.
Howarths highlights from school look phenomenal. David Fifita meets NAS, I'd be looking long term and investing heavily into him and Loiero as I think Felise (while reliable) may need some competition for his position and light a fire under him.
We need someone to light a fire under J Brom more than Felise, my opinion of course.
Given the improvement of Welch and Tui this year, I'm not sure how much more fire under him we can administer. It might just be that a bloke on the wrong side of 30 who has achieved everything may not have heaps more left to give.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well, you clearly know everything. Just how has JBrom's captaincy gone for you this year? I'll tell you something, he has been well below par this year, almost going through the motions. As much as he's been brilliant over the years, 2020 an 2021 have not been vintage years. As Nacho said, he'd be putting a fire under his backside before Kaufusi. And as good as Finucane is, he's hardly what you'd call captain material. You're better off picking from a 6, 7 or 9 as directional playmakers, not guys who spends a lot of time off and on the bench.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:00 pm Well, you clearly know everything. Just how has JBrom's captaincy gone for you this year? I'll tell you something, he has been well below par this year, almost going through the motions. As much as he's been brilliant over the years, 2020 an 2021 have not been vintage years. As Nacho said, he'd be putting a fire under his backside before Kaufusi. And as good as Finucane is, he's hardly what you'd call captain material. You're better off picking from a 6, 7 or 9 as directional playmakers, not guys who spends a lot of time off and on the bench.
I was asking you questions, so not sure where the childish "you clearly know everything" snipe comes from.

My opinion on Jesse's captaincy is that I couldn't care less if he was the worst captain in the history of world sport, as long as we win the Premiership. But, if we do win the Premiership, it will be because we are very well led. And I don't just mean Bellamy.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Not sure what Pene leaving has to do with anything, either. Was he going to be our next captain?

Excuse me? That's the pot (Lucas) calling the Kettle black.

I'd suggest you look up the dictionary definition of the word 'Captain'.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Not sure what I have done to upset you, pal. Beside from disagree with you.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster should be nowhere near the captaincy. Great player who can create something out of nothing, but he would have to be up there with the worst options possible for captain.

Welch, Hughes or Paps for me.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

End of the day a captain is the spokesperson of the club, they are the culture leaders. You develop culture from continuity of captaincy and experience. You can never replicate what Cameron achieved as captain but I feel the club shat the bed with their appointments this year. It's not just about results. You could have no captain and the club would still be succeeding but right now as the competition is circling the drain and we are so far ahead of the pack.

Results mean very little in the scheme of things to a fan of the CLUB and what it stands for.

Again I recommend Hughes as a captain. Always performs, always communicating, has signed a long term deal which will see him peak at the club, not a flight risk.