Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol scooter I donno why I wrote that I think I saw somthing on the first page of the thread and thought it was the last post...I know his gone

Hearing rumours KP might be Titans bound next yr...will have to wait and see
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Before Christmas Joel Romelo was listed on the QRL website as a gain for the Easts Tigers. The QRL website put up a list of gains and losses for all clubs today. Romelo is not included in the gains for Easts Tigers. Does that mean he has signed with the Storm?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He did...in dec before they went on the camp
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks Sallymay I knew he was training with us but didn't know he had signed. Haven't seen anything official. How long has he signed for do you know?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty sure it's only a year as a back up
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:Lol scooter I donno why I wrote that I think I saw somthing on the first page of the thread and thought it was the last post...I know his gone

Hearing rumours KP might be Titans bound next yr...will have to wait and see
what a way to ruin a promising career....

hope he remembers that loyalty is a 2 way street
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne have acquired the services of Joel Romelo and Ben Roberts for the 2014 season. These two acquisitions will strengthen our roster and should have us playing more competitively over the Origin period. Joel Romelo is actually what we lacked off the bench last year as a utility.
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ben Roberts was one of the worst players on the worst team in the NRL last year. Romelo is an ok utility play I guess. Both shouldn't sniff our top 20 players. If we're to rely on either one this year to play good football we're in trouble.

Must say, to me anyway we really haven't spent our money very wisely this offseason. Let some good players walk and didn't get much quality back.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Very average signings.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ben Roberts!??? FMD, we are a laughing stock. Every 8 or so games he looks very promising and totally dangerous, the other 7 he looks like a C Grade park footballer.

Not impressed with either of these pickups, especially when you consider we only have one NRL proven centre in our line-up.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think you're all substantially underrating the ability of Joel Romelo, similarly to how he's been underrated by his two previous clubs. He's a very energetic football who has the ability to speed things up around the ruck and is tough nosed.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Additionally, Roberts undoubtedly was nothing less than terrible during his stint at Parramatta but this was mainly due to him having to come up with a miracle player because of his team being abysmal. In Melbourne when he is given an opportunity he won't have to overplay his hand because of the caliber of player surrounding him and as a result will be able to chime in when he sees fit and provide a good football play.

If I'm wrong then I'll put my hand up and admit so but I see the positives coming from these signings and have the feeling we'll be playing a very attacking and up-tempo brand of football in 2014.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

What a waste of money Ben Roberts is. We need big guys
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Roberts is washed up. Hope he enjoys NSW Cup.

romelo is handy. You'd probably put him in the utility role at the expense of Griffin wouldn't you?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm glad everyone thinks the Roberts signing is a bit wtf :D

Romelo is a solid depth signing but in my eyes we're better when we play 4 big forwards off the bench so I don't see him as a guy that will play much. And if we went the utility role off the bench I'd go with Hinchy over Romelo anyway.