Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure why it’s not being talked about but keeping Howarth is by far the most important bit of news in that piece.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed Howarth is huge. If the numbers are true, 5 years for $2.5million would likely be a big commitment by storm standards. Can anyone shed light on a comparable signing by Storm?

Very happy for the young man and I hope he can build his legacy here.

Me thinks perhaps we are going hard on Howarth now to avoid a Tino situation? My god we've had some bloody good forwards come and go haven't we
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:50 pm Agreed Howarth is huge. If the numbers are true, 5 years for $2.5million would likely be a big commitment by storm standards. Can anyone shed light on a comparable signing by Storm?

Very happy for the young man and I hope he can build his legacy here.

Me thinks perhaps we are going hard on Howarth now to avoid a Tino situation? My god we've had some bloody good forwards come and go haven't we
Losing Tino was fairly unavoidable though I think. He was signed before 2020 started from memory (he also had several clubs chasing him) and offered maybe twice as much as the Storm are offering Howarth.

I didn't realise how big Howarth is either. He's 193cm tall and weighs 105kg and he's not even 20 years old.

Likely he'll probably get a look in in 2023 as a starting second-row or lock. I think we also forget the club's still got Trent Loiero too who's only 20. He's looked pretty sharp from what we've seen.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:05 pm Losing Kenny, or Jesse, or Fus, or Dale, or NAS, or maybe even Brandon, in isolation is no big deal. But to lose all those within 12 months, and who the hell knows what happens with Tui... this is unprecedented for us.

We need Josh King to be a gun and we're going to lean on Welch massively. We might have to actually deviate from our model and splash some cash on forwards.
I think King's actually going to be very good. Firstly, he'll have the opportunity to prove himself given the club's down a few players and secondly he was named the top player of that horrible military camp thing the new guys have to do in pre-season.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Pene could have really cemented a starting place if he too hadn’t p’doff.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Can anybody gain access to an article behind the herald sun paywall called "Storm defiant as poachers pick at roster" ?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm insist nothing will not stop their continuing NRL dominance
As cashed up rivals strike, offering more money than the Melbourne powerhouse has to play with, the Storm has a message for those predicting the club’s decline.
Travis Meyn
Travis Meyn
Follow
@travismeyn
3 min read
January 26, 2022 - 11:50AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

THE Storm have defiantly declared they will not be brought down by cashed-up NRL rivals as the Dolphins close in on a third Melbourne player.
Storm backrower Kenny Bromwich is on the verge of linking with brother Jesse and Melbourne teammate Felise Kaufusi for the Dolphins’ NRL launch in 2023.

The Storm have already lost Dale Finucane (Sharks), Josh Addo-Carr (Bulldogs) and Nicho Hynes (Sharks) from their 2021 minor premiership team while Dally M hooker of the year Brandon Smith will leave Melbourne for the Roosters at season’s end.

The ultra-successful Storm have fallen victim to the NRL’s salary cap constraints, with rival clubs offering more money than Melbourne can afford to keep their top players.

But the Storm insist the poaching raids will not stop their NRL dominance in the coming years.

“It is what it is, you can’t worry too much about it,” football chief Frank Ponissi said.

“Nothing will ever compare to 2010 (salary cap scandal). We went through that so everything else pales in significance.

“We’ve been dealing with change for a number of years. We’ve lost at least three of our best 17 players every year. This is no different.

It’s been magnified by the fact players are being signed so much earlier for the following season which makes it look like you’re losing more.

Our game has got to the stage where people forget about the upcoming year and think about the next year.

“We haven’t kicked a ball in 2022 and people are talking about 2023.”

The Storm have grown accustomed to their best players being targeted by rival clubs.

They have lost the likes of Cooper Cronk (Roosters), Kevin Proctor (Titans), Tohu Harris (Warriors), Jordan McLean (Cowboys), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Titans) and Suliasi Vunivalu (Queensland Reds) in recent years and managed to continue being the NRL’s most consistent team.

“After 2020 we lost Cameron Smith (retired), Tino and Suli, they were three big players along with a lot of others,” Ponissi said.

“We turned around and were minor premiers last year with a pretty outstanding season.

“It’s nothing new for us. It’s the system and we’ve got to deal with it.

“For years we kept hearing people say we weren’t going to replace Smith, (Billy) Slater and Cronk. They don’t get any bigger in the game than them and we lost them between 2017 and 2020.

“We’re not downplaying it but we’ve just got to get on with it and produce the next player.”

The Storm couldn’t match the money being offered by the Dolphins for Kaufusi and the Bromwich brothers in the latter stages of their careers.

The entry of the Dolphins into the competition from next year has injected another $9 million into the player market and put incumbent clubs under pressure to retain players.

“The difference this year is there’s an extra team with a complete salary cap to fill. It’s changed the market,” Ponissi said.

“You allow for a year of that and then after this year everyone goes back to normal again. There will be no-one with $9 million to spend.

“We will create opportunities. Every year one or two players really step up to the plate. That’s how we’ve always been.

More Coverage

Huge cloud hanging over major All Stars drawcard
KFC SuperCoach podcast: We’re back for 2022!
“If you add it up over a number of years it’s a lot of players, but on average it’s around three or four players each year.

“We’ve lost three quality players and people but we’re confident there will be three players that step up and add their own strengths.”

Originally published as Melbourne Storm insist nothing will not stop their continuing NRL dominance
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thanks Sal
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Losing the leadership and experience will matter if they’re not replaced but outside of Brandon and you can argue Nicho too, we’re not losing anyone we can’t easily replace from a talent perspective. Dale is getting old as are the three off to the dolphins.

Replacing those old heads with slightly younger old heads will be key for the club as it looks to move towards a new generation.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 pm Thanks Sal
Np
Fev fan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Hi all, apologies for the incursion. My team Featherstone Rovers who play in the Championship which is the 2nd tier behind Super League in the UK have just announced the signing of Ryley Jacks.

Having had a quick search through the forum I can see that he's probably not seen as first-grade NRL material but I wondered what his strengths and weaknesses are and how you think he'll go for a top-end Championship team?

There will be some names amongst his new team mates who will probably be familiar to many including Joey Leilua who arrived yesterday, Jesse Sene-Lafao, Junior Moors, Adam Cuthbertson, Brett Ferres, Craig Hall, Dane Chisholm and others, Featherstone are making a big push to earn promotion to Super League.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He is a good player just never gets a chance to play cause he is always behind another better player …he will do a good job
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Fev fan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:10 pm Hi all, apologies for the incursion. My team Featherstone Rovers who play in the Championship which is the 2nd tier behind Super League in the UK have just announced the signing of Ryley Jacks.

Having had a quick search through the forum I can see that he's probably not seen as first-grade NRL material but I wondered what his strengths and weaknesses are and how you think he'll go for a top-end Championship team?

There will be some names amongst his new team mates who will probably be familiar to many including Joey Leilua who arrived yesterday, Jesse Sene-Lafao, Junior Moors, Adam Cuthbertson, Brett Ferres, Craig Hall, Dane Chisholm and others, Featherstone are making a big push to earn promotion to Super League.
He's very solid defensively. Has a bit of size on him and some decent passing and kicking skills. He's never really had much of a go at the Storm as he's been stuck behind two test halves.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

And amid concerns about players leaving the Storm have re-signed Reimis Smith (until 2024) and Jack Howarth (until 2027).

From NRL.com.au:

An outstanding first season with Melbourne Storm has helped to earn outside back Reimis Smith a two-year contract extension, while former Australian Schoolboys star Jack Howarth has signed a new deal until the end of 2027.

Smith, who played 25 matches in his debut year with Storm including all 19 in the record-equalling winning streak, will wear the purple jersey through to the end of the 2024 season.

Signed from the Canterbury Bulldogs, Smith reached the 50-game mark when he played his first game in Melbourne colours.

He scored a career-high 14 tries in the right centre position highlighted by a hat-trick in the round eight victory against Cronulla.

The only game he missed in 2021 came in the final round when he was rested ahead of the finals series.

Smith said he was excited to be staying with Storm for the next three years.

“I’m extremely happy,” the 24-year-old said.

I’m very grateful to this club and what they’ve done for me so far. I’m looking forward to the future

“I wouldn’t want to be at any other club but the Storm.”

Meanwhile, Howarth’s new five-year deal comes as he continues to impress Storm with his performances on the training paddock.

Into his second year as a member of Storm’s top 30 squad, the 19-year-old from Queensland is eyeing off an NRL debut this season.

“I love being part of Storm and love living in Melbourne,” Howarth said.

“The coaching staff and the boys are great to be around and are helping me a lot with my footy and life in general.

“It’s a top class environment to be part of.

“Footywise I’m looking forward to playing a lot more this year and developing my game even more.

The dream is to wear the purple jersey in the NRL and it’s getting closer but there’s still a lot of work ahead.

“My future is sorted now with a great club for a few more years and I can fully focus in on my footy.”
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jacks and Chisholm could be a very good halves pairing at that level