Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:48 pm Article says it’s will be his last contract he wants 4 years Storm offered 2 …gone to market in hope Storm come back and give him 4
Are you able to copy and paste the article at all please Sallymay? It’s behind a paywall .
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Done

Dolphins open war chest after Jahrome Hughes refuses Storm contract option

The Dolphins have pounced on the opportunity to talk to one of Storm’s biggest stars after he knocked back a significant contract option with the club.

Jahrome Hughes has dropped a bombshell on the Storm by rejecting a contract option in a move that opens the door for Brisbane’s new second team, the Dolphins, to pounce in a $4 million poaching raid.
News Corp can reveal Hughes’ management advised Melbourne on Monday the Storm premiership halfback will not be taking up an option in his favour.

The Dolphins have moved swiftly, with the NRL’s expansion newcomers holding preliminary talks with Hughes in a bid to bring some premiership-winning star power to the Redcliffe-backed franchise in their embryonic years.

Hughes finished the 2021 season as one of the NRL’s top 10 players. Given the shortage of quality playmakers on the open market over the next two seasons, Hughes, who piloted Melbourne to the 2020 premiership, could command up to $1 million-a-season.

There is no suggestion Hughes is quitting the Storm immediately — he is contracted until the end of 2023 — but the decision not to activate a 12-month option enables him to field rival offers from next November.

Melbourne’s champion five-eighth Cameron Munster has already been linked with the Dolphins and the Storm cannot afford to lose the most lethal running halfback in the code.

Hughes’ manager Tas Bartlett confirmed the Dolphins are in the hunt for Hughes as the 27-year-old looks to capitalise on his outstanding form at Melbourne over the past two years.

It is understood Brisbane’s new second team would consider a four-year mega deal approaching $1 million annually.

“The Dolphins are a genuine option for Jahrome,” said Bartlett of PSM.

“We’ve advised Melbourne we won’t be taking up the option at this stage for 2024.

“The Storm are in the box seat to keep Jahrome given he is already contracted, but if we can’t get a long-term deal done, we will look to the open market.

“Jahrome has gone to another level this year. He is one of the NRL’s best players.

“Any club in the NRL would have some interest in a player of Jahrome’s stature in such a key position.”

Melbourne are no strangers to a bidding war for Hughes. In March, they staved off a big-money bid from the Warriors to retain the former Cowboys and Titans utility back, who will be on $750,000 at the Storm next season.

Storm still remains the box seat to retain Hughes.
Hughes is the game’s most lethal running halfback
Ironically, the Warriors’ recruitment chief at the time was Peter O’Sullivan, who was headhunted by the Dolphins last month.

O’Sullivan has a history with Hughes, first signing him as a teenager to the Sydney Roosters’ SG Ball side a decade ago.

The challenge for the Storm is the salary cap. Munster is on more than $1 million next season and they will have to find more than $800,000 in the cap to secure Hughes, who has won a staggering 66 of 82 games at Melbourne for an 80 per cent success rate.

“The next contract for Jahrome is probably his last, so we have to make sure he does the best thing for himself and his family moving forward,” Bartlett said.

“He was a bit of a late bloomer in the NRL so he needs to carefully consider his next deal.

“He likes being in Melbourne, so if they make him an attractive offer, it could tie him down for the next four or five years.

“Jahrome is now in the top echelon of halfbacks in the game. If Nathan Cleary is the best halfback in the game, Jahrome is not far off that. If you talk to Craig Bellamy (Storm coach), he wouldn’t swap Jahrome for any other halfback.

“The Warriors were close to signing him earlier this year and Peter O’Sullivan was their recruitment guy at the time. Now that ‘Sully’ is at the Dolphins, I imagine he would be interested in a player of Jahrome’s ability.”

O’Sullivan said Hughes would be the perfect playmaking recruit in the Dolphins’ start-up years.

“Jahrome isn’t off-contract until 2024 so it’s difficult,” he said.

“We’d have to possibly look at a tradesman at halfback for our first year (in 2023) and then look to bring Jahrome to the Dolphins for 2024.

“It’s certainly something we are prepared to look at because Jahrome is a seriously good player.

“Right now, there aren’t many halves coming off contract at the back end of 2022, but the landscape can change very quickly with the player market.

“Patience is the key for us
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks Sallymay….that’s really appreciated 😉
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sounds like player management 101, price hunting through the media. I get it, going for the big payday it's just a shame we will have all of next year with this nonsense going on in the background.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Agreed Bullucked. It's very disappointing given he only signed again with us what 8 months ago and is still under contract for another 2 years. Yet here we are, listening to his manager talk to the media.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's absolutely insane that this is a thing.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

"Hughes’ manager Tas Bartlett confirmed the Dolphins are in the hunt for Hughes "

Says it all really.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 19a78fb0ec

MELBOURNE is set to strike a significant blow in the player market with Queensland star Christian Welch to ink a long-term deal to remain at the Storm.

It is understood Welch is set to commit to a new four-year-contract which will see him stay in Melbourne until the end of 2026. The deal is worth about $600,000 a season.

Welch, 27, had been linked with the Dolphins but while they were monitoring proceedings, it is understood the game’s 17th franchise never entered serious discussions with the Melbourne and Queensland front rower.

Welch has established himself as one of the game’s best props and a mainstay of the Maroons outfit. He has also become one of the most influential players in the game through his work with the players union – he is on the board of the Rugby League Players Association.

His new deal is set to see him receive a significant upgrade after he revealed that his current contract was worth $425,000.

“I’ve seen it written that I am on $480,000 and $600,000 but both those figures are wrong. I am actually on $425,000,” Welch told CODE this week.

The Storm have been under siege in recent weeks but the imminent retention of Welch is a huge post to the club.

Brandon Smith is expected to make a decision on his future once he has met the Sydney Roosters next week while the Storm also have Felise Kaufusi, Jesse Bromwich and Reimis Smith entering the final year of their deals.

Jesse’s brother Kenny and Tui Kamikamica have player and club options respectively which means they can also scope out their price on the open market while a question mark surrounds Nelson Asofa-Solomona as the club attempts to convince him to get the Covid-19 vaccination.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:16 am https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 19a78fb0ec

MELBOURNE is set to strike a significant blow in the player market with Queensland star Christian Welch to ink a long-term deal to remain at the Storm.

It is understood Welch is set to commit to a new four-year-contract which will see him stay in Melbourne until the end of 2026. The deal is worth about $600,000 a season.

Welch, 27, had been linked with the Dolphins but while they were monitoring proceedings, it is understood the game’s 17th franchise never entered serious discussions with the Melbourne and Queensland front rower.

Welch has established himself as one of the game’s best props and a mainstay of the Maroons outfit. He has also become one of the most influential players in the game through his work with the players union – he is on the board of the Rugby League Players Association.

His new deal is set to see him receive a significant upgrade after he revealed that his current contract was worth $425,000.

“I’ve seen it written that I am on $480,000 and $600,000 but both those figures are wrong. I am actually on $425,000,” Welch told CODE this week.

The Storm have been under siege in recent weeks but the imminent retention of Welch is a huge post to the club.

Brandon Smith is expected to make a decision on his future once he has met the Sydney Roosters next week while the Storm also have Felise Kaufusi, Jesse Bromwich and Reimis Smith entering the final year of their deals.

Jesse’s brother Kenny and Tui Kamikamica have player and club options respectively which means they can also scope out their price on the open market while a question mark surrounds Nelson Asofa-Solomona as the club attempts to convince him to get the Covid-19 vaccination.
I really commend Welch on his views especially his transparency regarding salary. On one hand i think it plays into other clubs which will use it to show how 'worthless' or 'undervalued' storm see him, but that contract was amidst some serious knee injuries in a stacked team.

But... Welch has just disarmed all journalists which is a great tactic. Bravo.

Honestly, the money that is rumored about Cheese SHOULD be the same money rumored for Welch. I think he offers significantly more than the Cheese.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

After going through the Storm Shop, I was wondering why there was no player focused merch available e.g. a Tee shirt with a fusion between Christian Welch and a white rhino or a block of rolling cheese and someone else.

If there was some sort of licencing agreement between featured players and club surely it could create more of an encouragement for the players to stay or opportunities to sign potential recruits. The concept would be similar to the EPL or NBA where merch sales are factored into wages.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great idea - seems like a no-brainer to me, especially for players that are signed or have committed long-term to a club.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Former Storm forward Francis Kalisolaite-Tualau has returned to Brisbane Tigers. Kalisolaite-Tualau will join the Storm's pre-season.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I knew he was back at the tigers I didn’t know he was doing pre season OMFG THIS HAS MADE MY DUCKING YEAR
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Excellent news. An incredibly important part of the team.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could Tualau be a replacement should NAS get sacked? Has NRL experience.