Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I feel like the nrl needs to step in and make a bit of a stand on this kind of blatant poaching. Something along the lines of refusal to register a contract that's been negotiated in such a fashion.

But alas, bennet and anasta know the nrl won't do squat.... even less than usual, because they want to try and make sure the dolphins aren't a titans 2.0 type situation.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

As a last role of the dice to keep Munster though, I feel like the head honcho's should sit him down and ask what exactly he thinks it would take to get him to stay.... it may not be purely a dollar figure.

Maybe incentivise him with an offer of the captaincy and his choice of preferred position, along with a more substantial offer than we previously threw at him. He sure as hell seems to be relishing the opportunity at the back and taking on a leadership role as well.

If we could get him to extend for at least 2024, it might just be enough to get the dolphins to go after latrell instead
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm As a last role of the dice to keep Munster though, I feel like the head honcho's should sit him down and ask what exactly he thinks it would take to get him to stay.... it may not be purely a dollar figure.

Maybe incentivise him with an offer of the captaincy and his choice of preferred position, along with a more substantial offer than we previously threw at him. He sure as hell seems to be relishing the opportunity at the back and taking on a leadership role as well.

If we could get him to extend for at least 2024, it might just be enough to get the dolphins to go after latrell instead
I think at minimum we deserve that opportunity to sit him down and to have the final offer, but we also should have got that with cheese and didn’t get it.

The speculation behind it is a joke. Show me Wayne and Braiths phone records and tell me they’re not chatting about it regularly and then leaking it to their mates in the media.

I hate the player transfer market anyway. I would hate to play with a bloke knowing he is leaving. We have a bloke whom last season would bleed for the club and this year seems so passive
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The whole Dolphins/Munster thing has been a complete farce for awhile now. Feels like the NRL would be stepping in more if the Dolphins were any other club and weren’t having massive issues attracting players. As it is stands no one cares that we’re getting screwed.

Has become pretty clear for awhile now we can’t afford him. Good on him for getting the money. Hopefully we make some smart decisions in how we replace him in the squad.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldnt expect the NRL to step in. Any attempts by the league to prevent what is already occurring only hurts the bottom line - a new team in a NRL heartland would be weak and less attractive to all players and fans, while an already strong team with a monopoly in their state continues to remain dominant. There is limited upside in the NRL stepping in and increasing Storm's chances of retaining Munster.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, this is just business and I know what I would do if I had a vested interest in the success of expansion, the gloves are off and there are no rules.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Munster or his dog of a manager has rejected Storm's latest offer and will go on the open market on November 1st. His manager said he is worth more than a million a season, Storm is not in the ball pack. Storm offered $800,000 a season, even through he is happy in Melbourne he is not staying for that and Melbourne have no more room in their cap.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Let him go keep Jonah and Cooper and develop them next year
big_m
Squall
Squall

I cant see any way that munster stays. He will go for well over a million a year whether its dolphins or elsewhere, and we just cant fit that in the cap.

We need to hope that Paps can hold up for a full season next year and maybe even get meaney in the halves.

If its correct that we have offered Munster between 800 and 900 to stay and he leaves, id really like us to use that money to sign a top front rower.

Imagine welch and another top prop starting, with Nas, Tui, Tepai coming on against tired bodies.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

glennb wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:59 pm Munster or his dog of a manager has rejected Storm's latest offer and will go on the open market on November 1st. His manager said he is worth more than a million a season, Storm is not in the ball pack. Storm offered $800,000 a season, even through he is happy in Melbourne he is not staying for that and Melbourne have no more room in their cap.
Pete badel who was responsible for that story has jumped the gun or just been making shit up.
Anasta has refuted the claims, and has spoken pretty positively of the club and its negotiations. He also mentioned whilst the club aren't where they want them to be at, that Munster would be willing to take unders to stay. Just not quite the unders thay the club are currently offering.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 37707f03fb
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

big_m wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 pm I cant see any way that munster stays. He will go for well over a million a year whether its dolphins or elsewhere, and we just cant fit that in the cap.

We need to hope that Paps can hold up for a full season next year and maybe even get meaney in the halves.

If its correct that we have offered Munster between 800 and 900 to stay and he leaves, id really like us to use that money to sign a top front rower.

Imagine welch and another top prop starting, with Nas, Tui, Tepai coming on against tired bodies.
Yeah, nah.

We become the Broncos of 2019-21 if we do that, by putting too many eggs in the forwards basket whilst relying on substandard halves. If Munster leaves, we need to replace him with a good half.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

News Corp reporting that J Bromwich is on $1.05M this year. Someone, please tell me they have no idea what they are talking about. Otherwise I will feel obligated to report an absolute robbery to VICPOL.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Anasta was quite sincere in what he was saying. The prioritising resigning other players I believe is not unfair. Cam had just come off a terrible offseason and needed to be back in the system before anyone could talk contracts with him.

With that said, is Cam a million dollar player - yes. Is he 1.3 million - I don’t think any player is. I actually think 4 years at 1 mil per is really fair for him.

The real question is whether he is worth that to the Storm? Clearly the powers that be at our club have a value for players and won’t be forced to go overs. That is something that has served us well and what we have to have faith in.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:17 pm News Corp reporting that J Bromwich is on $1.05M this year. Someone, please tell me they have no idea what they are talking about. Otherwise I will feel obligated to report an absolute robbery to VICPOL.
Yeah I was shocked at that - but I wouldn’t be surprised if he took unders most of his career and this is the catch up / thanks.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yep may well have agreed to a back-ended deal in order to keep Cam Smith late in his career. We've got great value from Jesse, its undeniable.
big_m
Squall
Squall

When jesse signed that deal 4.5 years ago he was arguably the best prop in the game - it just seems like a crazy amount this year likely as its back ended and given how his season has gone, but it sounds like the figure is correct.