Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 pm Is basically says Kulikefu Finefeuiaki from the cowboys to the dolphins cowboys looking at Jack howarth to replace Kulikefu Finefeuiaki and storm looking at Stefano Utoikamanu to replace Jack
thanks sallymay..

Well that's the zinger. isn't it.

Securing Howarth to a long contract means he's Storm's to deal...so if a decent front rower becomes the necessity (which it is), there's a backrower to trade.

You'd have to think that Jack's days at Storm might be limited.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We wanted him in an Olam swap before the Blore one went down months later didn't we?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:58 pm
sallymay wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 pm Is basically says Kulikefu Finefeuiaki from the cowboys to the dolphins cowboys looking at Jack howarth to replace Kulikefu Finefeuiaki and storm looking at Stefano Utoikamanu to replace Jack
thanks sallymay..

Well that's the zinger. isn't it.

Securing Howarth to a long contract means he's Storm's to deal...so if a decent front rower becomes the necessity (which it is), there's a backrower to trade.

You'd have to think that Jack's days at Storm might be limited.
Except what do the Tiggers get out of this ?

Maybe it's just about freeing up cap space by moving Jack on to make a play for Stefano Utoikamanu
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

After all the preamble with Howarth with the contract, if they are hoping to move him on, where are his deficiencies? Is it ability or attitude?
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

It is also probably a little unfortunate if I post a comment straight after Storm Spirit, especially when you look at SS's location!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Black Dot wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:42 pm It is also probably a little unfortunate if I post a comment straight after Storm Spirit, especially when you look at SS's location!

Under the black dot.....well ...that is unfortunate :lol: :lol:

I'm no expert when it comes to Jack Howarth...others will know a heap more than me....but from the limited amount I've seen, he looks to be regularly gassed after normal efforts and doesn't appear to have that tenacious urgency that other players seem to have.

But that's just my impression.....there's every chance he could prove to be a later bloomer and we might regret letting him leave.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:19 pm We wanted him in an Olam swap before the Blore one went down months later didn't we?
You're on the right track blazza.....seems to have been at least a 2 year pursuit....if not longer.

It goes as far back as Brandon Smith announcing he was leaving Melbourne Storm...

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brandon-sm ... 6da369d6a8
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for that. At least I was on the right track.

I think you're spot on with Howarth too. He doesn't really stand out as a player who is willing to do any hard work. Coming up you'd see him make good runs but then you don't see him for awhile. Now those runs are even less flashy and he still doesn't do the hard work.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just published on the Daily Telgraph website:

Rival clubs are keeping a close eye on the immediate playing future of Kiwi star Nelson Asofa-Solomona amid suggestions he faces a fight to win back his spot in the Melbourne Storm starting pack this season.

Asofa-Solomona has missed the opening two weeks of the season with a hamstring injury and the expectation is that when he makes his return - most likely next week - he will be forced to do so via the Queensland Cup.

An indifferent pre-season prompted whispers Asofa-Solomona had fallen out of favour with the Storm’s top brass. Rival clubs, aware that the 28-year-old has dropped down the pecking order in Melbourne, are watching closely as they size up a move for the New Zealand international.
While the relationship is understood to be repairable, Asofa-Solomona will have to prove himself through the lower grades if he is to win back support at the club.

Asofa-Solomona has been a mainstay at the Storm since making his debut in 2015. Only last year he inked a four-year contract extension to make him one of the highest paid props in the game worth about $850,000 a season.

That’s a lot of money out of the Storm’s cap to not be playing in the NRL. The Storm aren’t exactly flushed with middle forwards.

Josh King continues to be one of the most improved players in the game while former skipper Christian Welch produced a strong performance against Penrith despite his demotion from not only the captaincy but to the bench.

Welch has apparently been faultless despite being relieved of the leadership job. A host of clubs remain on the lookout for a marquee middle including the Warriors, St George Illawarra and Canterbury.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That’s the biggest bullsh*t article I’ve ever read

You don’t give a guy a 4 year contract then get rid of him a year later
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was not aware of any suggestion that a fit NAS is not in the best 17?

That’s crap journalism there.

You could write the same thing about Munster if you wanted.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mean he is on a lot of money and doesn’t exactly perform to that standard like at all. A lot of dribble in the article though so hard to tell if any actual reporting has gone into it or not.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sounds like typical Sydney dribble to me
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Announcement by north Sydney bears

As our season kicks off we are excited to announce two new signings in our Knock-On Effect NSW Cup squad, Jayden Yates and Harradyn Wilson. "Two young players on the way up who we have identified as potential NRL players." stated Head Coach Pat Weisner who also manages the team's recruitment.

🔴 Jayden Yates has 71 career games for the Parramatta Eels, is a skillful Hooker and ball playing Lock Forward with neat kicking game.
⚫ Harradyn Wilson debuted in the Queensland Cup at 18 years old and played in the Queensland U19s team in 2022.

Welcome to the Bears Jayden and Harradyn!

#KnockOnEffect #NSWCup #NSWRL #NorthSydneyBears #BEARS2024

I wonder if this is with Storm in mind or they just believe they are that good?

Thoughts
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS is the kind of person who would put up an Instagram post with something calling out the journalist and that it's fake news if these rumours were false.

So far we have an insta story made 3hrs ago on a purple background with a hand waving. That's enough to me to feel like these rumours might actually be true.

Maybe Olam's exit left a bad taste in his mouth? Or perhaps the unusual absenses from pre season and team photo day was too much for the managers of the club given recent years (no Vax etc).