Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whilst this is about Hughes right now, I think in general any of our players looking for paydays of that magnetidue would be wise to do it before Cam retires or moves on. Once he is gone, the pretenders get found out- of which there are very little if any, but their form is largely dependant on his influence.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:33 pm Whilst this is about Hughes right now, I think in general any of our players looking for paydays of that magnetidue would be wise to do it before Cam retires or moves on. Once he is gone, the pretenders get found out- of which there are very little if any, but their form is largely dependant on his influence.
It is an interesting balance, isn't it? Once he goes there is more money available. However, at the same time, less places to hide.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:22 pm This is what's terrible about players being able to sign anywhere a year before they're off contract.

Lucas wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:41 am Jahrome is a good player but he's not worth being in the to 10-15 paid players in the comp, which that sort of money would make him. Jury is still very much out on how he'd go being the number 1 playmaker, without a Smith or a Munster to run the show for him. As you would only pay that sort of money to a player who you intended to be the number 1 playmaker.
Agree with this. He'll never be in a better position being in our system and having Smith run the show for us. The same thing can be said about Munster as well.
The further we get away from our 2020 Premiership ...the more I hope and hope and hope that Cam signs on for 2021 and 2022. He is a once in a generation player. We should never want to willingly see him leave our Club while he still wants to play. If Harry and Brando can’t make it work...well such is life.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Do we need both Harry and Brandon? Couldn't we make do with one or the other?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 pm The further we get away from our 2020 Premiership ...the more I hope and hope and hope that Cam signs on for 2021 and 2022. He is a once in a generation player. We should never want to willingly see him leave our Club while he still wants to play. If Harry and Brando can’t make it work...well such is life.
Looking forward to your such is life attitude in 2024 when we'll have none of them on the team and we're sitting 11th on the ladder.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Danger D wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 am Do we need both Harry and Brandon? Couldn't we make do with one or the other?
For mine, that question is in the hands of Brandon.

If Brandon is hellbent on playing 9 and won't play anywhere else, then yes, we'll make do with just one of them.

If he is OK to play 13 or bench utility, then we are better served to keep both.

This is of course based on the assumption that their salary demands remain reasonable.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/ ... arry-grant

Cameron Smith's Storm NRL sacrifice stuns Grant
AAP
16 Nov 2020

Dally M rookie of the year Harry Grant admits it's humbling to hear Cameron Smith did not want to stand in the way of his burgeoning NRL career.

Smith is yet to confirm his playing future but Melbourne are preparing for life without the veteran after his contract expired at the end of last month.

The 37-year-old revealed part of the reason he didn't sign a new deal with the Storm was his fear it would lead to Grant and Brandon Smith leaving the club.

"There's no way I'm re-signing for another 12 months if the club is going to lose either Harry or Brandon," an excerpt from Smith's autobiography, the Storm Within, read.

"I don't want to see the club struggle in the long term just so I can play one more season."

Grant, who has had a breakout season on loan at Wests Tigers, will make his State of Origin debut for Queensland on Wednesday.

The 22-year-old said knowing his own future had played a factor in Smith's decision had blown him away.

"That's pretty hard to take Cam saying that," Grant said.

Having become a first grade regular during his year with the Tigers, Grant had indicated he would exercise a get-out clause in his contract if he'd found himself behind Smith upon his return to the Storm.

The Maroons rookie though says he's 100 per cent committed to the Storm in 2021 and fighting to take over the No.9 jersey with Brandon Smith.

"Yeah I'll go back down to Melbourne," he said. "I think we start January 4. Get a good break, back home to Yeppoon and then get back into it."

Smith has been linked with moves to Brisbane or Gold Coast and admits he is yet to decide whether to retire or continue his vaunted career at a rival NRL club after a record 430 first grand appearances for the Storm.

"I don't know how to explain it," Smith said in his book, excerpts of which were published by News Corp Australia on Sunday.

"I just didn't feel the decline at any stage of that 2020 season. If anything, I felt better than I ever had, in all aspects of my footy."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Harry Grant wrote:I’m stunned that my repeated threats to quit the club if Cam re-signed, has resulted in him not re-signing.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith is probably equally "stunned".
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Rumours swirling of a Smith announcement coming today... who knows if it is accurate though, I've read that a dozen times in the past 6 months.

EDIT: And nothing announced at the book launch :-\
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 am Rumours swirling of a Smith announcement coming today... who knows if it is accurate though, I've read that a dozen times in the past 6 months.

EDIT: And nothing announced at the book launch :-\
You didn't say which Smith, we could have three of them next year!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:02 am
Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:17 pm The further we get away from our 2020 Premiership ...the more I hope and hope and hope that Cam signs on for 2021 and 2022. He is a once in a generation player. We should never want to willingly see him leave our Club while he still wants to play. If Harry and Brando can’t make it work...well such is life.
Looking forward to your such is life attitude in 2024 when we'll have none of them on the team and we're sitting 11th on the ladder.
No...I'll have a problem with that as well blazza.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:20 am
Danger D wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 am Do we need both Harry and Brandon? Couldn't we make do with one or the other?
For mine, that question is in the hands of Brandon.

If Brandon is hellbent on playing 9 and won't play anywhere else, then yes, we'll make do with just one of them.

If he is OK to play 13 or bench utility, then we are better served to keep both.

This is of course based on the assumption that their salary demands remain reasonable.
Yes, this makes sense. I'm wondering if they both want to be 80min hookers, which one the club would prefer to keep...
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ioane Seiuli & Kea Pere (ex Titans development players) have joined Brisbane (Easts) Tigers. Wonder if the club will offer them a train and trial deal like Brenko got?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was just think8ng Kea would be offered something