Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chase Stanley is probably too past it with injuries
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:55 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm What are our thoughts on Mansour? Apparently Penrith have told him he's free to go or he'll play NSW cup.
Mansour would be a 1 year (or 2 max) option if Storm couldn't identify suitable long term replacements for Suli and Foxx.
Whilst I don't think Mansour is probably the best option, I have no issue with signing players that we can get value out of for only a couple of years. This idea that we have to sign someone that will be around for 5+ years is noble in principle, but not realistic with the much shorter contract lengths.

We got just over two years from Koroibete.
2 years from Tino.
2 years from Blake Green.
3 years from Cheyse Blair.
2 years from Vave.
2 years from Jaiman Lowe.
3 years from Todd Lowrie.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Toronto Wolfpack's bid to rejoin the Super League in 2021 has been rejected, does this mean Leutele stays in Melbourne?

Do we really need him? Could he shift to the wing? Probably not IMO
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Pole wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:13 am Toronto Wolfpack's bid to rejoin the Super League in 2021 has been rejected, does this mean Leutele stays in Melbourne?

Do we really need him? Could he shift to the wing? Probably not IMO
I think he has an opportunity to stick around as centre depth. We don’t bat too deep there - especially with Seve’s ACL. Who comes in with an injury to Olam or Lee?

Eisenhuth looked slow there and Nicho looked average defensively.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What are the chances that Hynes is a winger next year?
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am What are the chances that Hynes is a winger next year?
A lot of dominoes to fall before we know I think, but I see it as a possibility.

My initial thought for next season sees Nicho as the bench utility with Brandon starting at lock. Just leaves the question of who starts on the bench out of Jesse, Dale and Christian. I would think one of the latter two.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disappointing to see the Toronto Wolfpack be voted out of Super League. Not good for the expansion of the game.

I would love to sign Ricky Leutele. As others have said we don't have a lot of depth in the centres.

I am a fan of Leutele, I actually think after a pre-season with the Storm I think he would leapfrog Brenko Lee in our starting line up. As good as Lee has been this year I think Leutele is better.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here is my best 17 / questions for 2021:

1. Paps
2. Probably Lumelume / maybe Jennings dependent on JAC.
3. Brenko
4. Olam
5. Either JAC (doubt he sticks despite reports, to me a ploy to force a teams hand, hope he stays though) or the replacement player, I don't see both Lumelume and Jennings in the same side)
6. Munster
7. C-Smith (To me makes Hughes expendable despite a fantastic 2020, for what it's worth I see Cam playing on. If he doesn't then Hughes stays in 7, apparently wants 700K a year going forward, hence expendable)
8. J-Brom
9. Harry (I just can't not play him in the 9, so integral for the next five years, must play here, no loaning out again)
10. Welch
11. Kaufusi
12. K-Brom
13. B-Smith
14. Nicho (Can play any of 1-6 plus 9)
15. Dale (Just adds a different dimension to the bench compared to Welch if he were not starting)
16. Tui
17. NAS

Big questions are clearly whether Cam plays on, what is going on in both wings and where we fit Jahrome in with Harry's inclusion.

That side - especially if Cam plays on, is capable of back to back. It is very versatile.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Still quite a few things up in the air, isn't there? I mean Brenko remains unsigned I believe, and Jesse has a player option for 2021 and 2022, which I assume he takes up? On top of all the above.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brenko signed for 2 years initially, so signed for 2021
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Going forward - loads of players are out of contract at the end of 2021 / have options - I don’t see any of the above not being there for 2021, except for JAC and Jahrome possibly.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think we should change from anything Victoria related on the guernsey to simply
“we make ‘em, they take ‘em”.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:50 pm Going forward - loads of players are out of contract at the end of 2021 / have options - I don’t see any of the above not being there for 2021, except for JAC and Jahrome possibly.
Bellamy is very likely to step down as head coach at teh end of 2021, whihc makes me nervous. Hopefully he stays on a while longer as a director of coaching or something along those lines.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jennings official - 2 years
Lee and Johns re signed for 2021
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:14 pm Jennings official - 2 years
Lee and Johns re signed for 2021
Great singing in Jennings. I am hopeful, even optimistic that this one will be a success.

Also very happy with Brenko and Coops re-signing.