Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

George Jennings will be a great signing.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah seems like a good replacement for Suli, now who do we get for Addo Carr?

I know Usain Bolt tried his hand football/soccer, maybe rugba leeg might interest him too?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jennings is a fine stop gap but hopefully we're still looking for more options. Relying on a guy who hasn't cracked a permanent spot in the NRL at 27 isn't ideal.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:44 am Jennings is a fine stop gap but hopefully we're still looking for more options. Relying on a guy who hasn't cracked a permanent spot in the NRL at 27 isn't ideal.
I'd been surprised by the positivity on here in regards to his potential signing. This assessment is more along the lines of what I'm thinking.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blazza18 and Lucas what were your thoughts when Easts Tigers and then Storm signed three times NRL "reject" Brenko Lee? I felt the same about Lee when he was signed as I do hearing about Jennings. Lee has been good for us and I think Jennings will be similar.

As long as Jennings is willing to put in the hard work.

Remember he is currently behind Sivo and Ferguson at the Eels.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Scooter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:44 am Blazza18 and Lucas what were your thoughts when Easts Tigers and then Storm signed three times NRL "reject" Brenko Lee? I felt the same about Lee when he was signed as I do hearing about Jennings. Lee has been good for us and I think Jennings will be similar.

As long as Jennings is willing to put in the hard work.

Remember he is currently behind Sivo and Ferguson at the Eels.
Lee was signed as depth. He's forced his way into the side, which is great.

Jennings is being signed to replace one of two absolute star performers.

If our wings/centres next year are solely made up of Olam, Seve, Lee, Jennings, Momorovski, Earl and Lumelume, we really need Lumelume to have a breakout season.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't think Momirovski will be here
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:02 pm Don't think Momirovski will be here
Yeah maybe not, makes my point even more prevalent though.

I hope like hell we have another wing signing up our sleeve.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was far more ok with Brenko cause as Lucas said he was signed for depth and just taking a chance on his attacking talent. He's mostly been fine overall which given his contract and defensive liabilities in the past it's been a positive gamble.

Am also fine with Jennings being signed if it's for depth/competition for spots. Hell bring in the younger Jennings also lol. Trust the system to get the best out of him but do hope we're looking for a better, younger long term option.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure Lee was really a depth signing, we didn't really have an abundance of centres for the second spot given Chambers and Scott left. Our other options for that centre spot were Seve and Momirovski. I rate Momirovski, Seve's defence is solid and attacking game needs improvement.

So don't think he was necessarily a depth signing. That centre spot was open and whoever did better would get it long term. Yes injuries caused issues for Seve and Momirovski.

Maybe I am on my own with these thoughts, but I think Jennings, like others before him, if he puts the work in during pre-season with Bellamy simplifying his role, will be able to do his job. Remember Vunivalu debuted with the Storm (admittedly during a time of lots of injuries) and Addo-Carr had played 9 games before he played with Storm.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thinking back, hard to come up with established outside backs who've come to the club in the last 10 years...

Addo-Carr 9 games
Maurice Blair 48? Games
Cheyse Blair 30? Games
Hughes 2 games
Koroibete 25? Games
Waqa 6 games
Momirovski 18 games
Leutele 128 games - played 1
Sa'u 90-100 games - played 4

Debuted:
Duffie
Fonua
Hampton
Drinkwater
O'Neill
Papenhuyzen
Olam
Scott
Tonumaipea
Kennar
Vunivalu

Seems like Bellamy doesn't like throwing huge amounts at outside backs from outside the system and so far it's worked.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Time will tell with Jennings, I think he is a solid signing, as he would be a starter in most sides in the comp. And as mentioned already looked at Brenko Lee, from nobody to a starting centre in a top-2 team.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm aware we haven't signed (m)any big name outside backs. But we've gone on record in saying we won't release JAC unless we get a like for like replacement. I'm hoping that that's not Jennings. He's fine as backup but I was hoping for better than that as a JAC replacement.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:27 pmMaybe I am on my own with these thoughts, but I think Jennings, like others before him, if he puts the work in during pre-season with Bellamy simplifying his role, will be able to do his job. Remember Vunivalu debuted with the Storm (admittedly during a time of lots of injuries) and Addo-Carr had played 9 games before he played with Storm.
You're right to be positive about any player coming here and fitting into the system. If he earns a role down here he'll be fine.

Just remember how young and inexperienced Suli and JAC were compared to Jennings. Those two were sort of like a blank piece of paper Bellamy could turn into what they are. Jennings will come down needing to prove he belongs.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Pole wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:22 am Yeah seems like a good replacement for Suli, now who do we get for Addo Carr?

I know Usain Bolt tried his hand football/soccer, maybe rugba leeg might interest him too?
Don't forget the nuances of "rugba leeg"! ;)