Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm have announced re-signing of Young Tonumaipea for two years and announced signing of Vincent Leuleuai from Roosters and PNG winger Justin Olam until end of 2018.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Turpin doing very well at hooker for QU20 so far. Lock him up or someone will take him.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote:Scott to 6 makes sense if the Club is desperate to retain him and play him long term. Good ball handler...tall...fast...athletic..perfect fit if his footy brain is up to the 6...
A new, modern day Scott Hill?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Josh Kurr signed with Manly for next year...good player
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:Apparently Josh Kurr signed with Manly for next year...good player
Dragons deal fell through?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry your right it was the dragons
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Reports that Hampton will sign for the Cows after we offered him a two year deal. Meh....
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Read that article this morning. He'd play the same role with the Cowboys as he does with us but apparently the Cowboys will give him more opportunities to play NRL?

Anyone know how much longer Finucane's under contract? Feel we need to lock him in for the next few years now before he becomes a rep player.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Finucane activated his option for next year, meaning he is off contract end of 2017. Management already in talks to extend his contract as he and his partner have settled here and he wants to stay.

Once all the immediate players off contract are signed or released, I'd expect an announcement but might not be till after season ends.

Interesting that Nick Smart (HS reporter generally pretty good with info) said he thought Hampton was already a done deal despite reports. But if freeing up Hampton ensures NAS isn't poached than cya later....
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep he confirmed it a couple months ago he's staying for next year. Great news as he's one of my favorite players and with any luck we'll tie him up for longer. Judging by what he says below he's more than happy here so i'm pretty confident we will.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pre ... 8f147724d5

Melbourne lock Dale Finucane has exclusively revealed that he’ll be staying at the Storm for at least another season. Finucane has officially activated an option in his favour for 2017 but Market Watch can reveal the club is hopeful of extending his deal even longer.

While talks will continue to advance throughout the season, the Country Origin representative said that he feels like he’s found a home in Victoria. “When I signed down there it was ‘15 and ‘16 with ‘17 being in my favour,” Finucane told foxsports.com.au. “I’ve just activated that year for ‘17 and now I’m focusing on football.” While the one-year deal secures his short term future, Market Watch can reveal the Storm have had preliminary talks with Finucane’s management about extending his stay even further.

The 24-year-old made his NRL debut for Canterbury in 2012 before leaving for Melbourne in 2015 where he’s spent the last two seasons. It was a move he made in search of more game time and the opportunity to grow his game under Craig Bellamy. “I’m really enjoying it,” he said.

“I wanted the opportunity to play bigger minutes and play in a starting role. “To play with guys like Cam Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater — being around that environment and the professionalism they have and Craig as a coach — I’ve really enjoyed that. "I’ve just bought a place with my partner. It’s home for us now.”
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Beauty! I do remember reading that now.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Antony Stewart from Channel 7 Townsville is reporting Ben Hampton has signed a 3 year deal with Cowboys.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just watched the Redcliffe Dolphins v PNG Hunters from last weekend here are my observations on Justin Olam, who played left centre:
He picked up a loose ball and ran 80 metres to score a try at about 55 minutes. He made one other really good run of about 15 metres. He almost scored a try chasing a grubber kick which was knocked dead just before he arrived. He didn't get a lot of other chances in attack. He made 4 or 5 really good tackles, although PNG Hunters were caught out a couple of times in defence on both flanks.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Hampton signed again earlier this season??
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There was an article in Herald Sun in June that Young Tonumaipea and Ben Hampton were both set to re-sign. But there was nothing official from Storm re Hampton.