To stay or not to stay...that is the question...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Worth every cent... and then some. Drive a truck filled with cash up to his house.

He is worth a $mil+ just for the brilliance he offers on the field. Add in what he offers off-field and we will still be getting a bargain. Consistent, intelligent, articulate (rare for a footy player), a true leader, the type of player that attracts sponsorship (personally and for the club), attracts other players to the club for less cash JUST to get to play alongside him, the driving force behind our club culture (which has to be the pride of the NRL)...

If ANYBODY has earned the right to huge coin in the NRL, it's Smith.

Purely in my opinion... a must keep.

As everyone is aware, family is the driving factor as suggested by Smith (and there is no reason to suggest it isn't). He has said that he will decide who he wants to play for and where, then worry about the money.

If he decides to go, I will be crushed but still always support him. He deserves to do what is best for his family.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

$3.3 million over 3 years? I wouldn't hold it against him if he took their money - we all know he looks great in purple....but thats crazy talk (seriously, how would they have that much free? Would Cam be getting all the extra cap money?)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Broncos gains and losses for 2014.

GAINS: Ben Barba (Canterbury Bulldogs) Martin Kennedy (Sydney Roosters) Todd Lowrie (New Zealand Warriors) Daniel Vidot (St George Illawarra Dragons) Stewart Mills (Cronulla Sharks) Marmin Barba (Gold Coast Titans) Zach Strasser (Redcliffe Dolphins)

LOSSES: Corey Norman (Parramatta Eels) Luke Capewell (Penrith Panthers) Delroy Berryman (Manly) Peter Wallace (Penrith Panthers) Scott Prince (Retirement) Dunamis Lui (Manly Sea Eagles) Caleb Timu (Mormon Mission) Lama Tasi (Salford City Reds) Scott Anderson (Wakefield Wildcats) Nick Slyney (Redcliffe Dolphins)

RE-SIGNED: Jake Granville (2014) Ben Hunt (2015) Matt Gillett (2016) Jack Reed(2016) Ashley Taylor (2016)

Off Contract: Dale Copley, Kurt Baptiste, Aaron Whitchurch, Mitchell Dodds, Lachlan Maranta, Joe Bond, Cameron Cullen, Luke Dalziel-Don, Liam Georgetown, Brendon Gibb, Jordan Kahu, Denan Kemp, Chris McLean, Francis Molo, Corey Oates Jarrod Wallace.

We all know they are picking up Anthony Milford in 2015, although likely for 2014 as well the way that one is playing out.

Broncos Off Contract 2015.
Dale Copley, Cameron Cullen, Mitchell Dodds, Jordan Drew, Jake Granville, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Lachlan Maranta, Stewart Mills, Corey Parker, Francis Molo, David Stagg, Jarrod Wallace.

I don't know how they have that much spare cash to throw at Cam but that has never stopped them before. The broncos wrote the book on creative accounting... the pricks just wouldn't share their secrets with us ;)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lockyer was on $250k for the last few years ;) So they'll be able to do it. Cap also keeps going up the next few years too which makes it easier.

The only part that concerns me over keeping him as a Storm player is at what cost ? The team needs more talent around the big 3 now, what is it going to be like in 2-3 years ? A million a season is a lot of money to give to someone who is getting on with age, no matter how good they are.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cam was quoted as saying he would make the decision before he looked at the contacts, because itsnt about the money. I'm not saying that it isn't about the money but he is saying he could stay here for less
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think the BIG 4 will finish off their careers altogether at Storm.. Cammy, Billy, Coops and CB.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like Cam's Mum wants him to stay put in Melbourne. If family is the reason he is considering a move up north then surely hearing from his Mum that she believes he should stay with us will give him some ease in making the decision

http://www.nrl.com/cam-smiths-mum-says- ... fault.aspx
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've never though family reasons would be the reason for him to leave, even if the media keep reporting it. He's been down in Melbourne for over 10 years, I think he's ok with being there.

I still think money will be a part of his decision. IF Brisbane really are offering $1.3 million a season it would be extremely difficult to turn down for any player. The good thing though, is we're clearly his best chance for him winning another premiership, even if we do need a little more around him.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know the media (News limited) do it all the time, but this story is a waste of time, them for writing and people for reading it. It does not say anything about player coming to Storm to replace Smith, it is just made up. All it is saying is the Gold Coast player is not happy. Big deal.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

OK, so I am travelling overseas a month or so ago and I went to a newsstand and grabbed the Storm book for a read on the plane.

I hand the book to the woman serving and she says, "You a fan of Storm?" Absolutely I replied. "What do you think Cam Smith will do?" she asked. I replied that I thought he'd stay and be a one club champ.

She goes on to say, "No, he's going back to Brisbane". I asked her what made her so confident in saying this. She explained that her and her husband are personal friends of Cam and Barb and they've said they are definitely going home to be close to their families.

Take that how you will.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why would she ask your opinion you if she already knew the answer.......doesn't make sense, if you now something you don't ask another person, you tell them.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I guess she was just grandstanding a little. That's all I can put it down to. I can tell you she was adamant. I still said I don't believe he'll go. I hope he doesn't.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No doubt it went down exactly how you've said Kettles and by the sounds of it she sounds adamant but i'm still not convinced. The only reason being is that if he's definitely made a decision then why would he have not announced it yet? Especially given Bellyache came out a week or two ago saying that he hoped he would make his decision ASAP so the club can plan either way.

I think we all agree that there's no way in hell that Cam would make the club wait a any longer his decision given how much love and respect he has for it so if he's already made up his mind to leave then i'm sure he'd have told them. Unless he has and for some reason the club didn't want it to get out just yet so they could find a replacement? That's the only reason i could think of but whatever it may be i've said all along i'm confident he'll stay and i still am. I might be wrong of course but it's just my feeling on it.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

There is nobody good enough to replace Cam Smith.