NYC, SG Ball, Harold Matthews + Scholarships 2014

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

I'm going to throw my 2cents worth in, was at times frustrating of the inconsistancy of performances with the Thunderbolts. But they seemed to have achieved perhaps beyond their own expectations as the squad seemed to morph into something as promising to weakend with the loss of Vunivalu to injury, Munster & Kerner to feeder teams & Lodge and Pride to other clubs.
With that said, was a fun ride following the Thuderbolts 2014 season, I dabbled in following the Warriors U20's over the years, and for years they never alter their U20's as much as I have seen what happens with this Thunderbolts team, I think this is the first year the Warriors U20's have promoted so many players beyond their own grade.
Obviously if it was a perfect world, you would do some much better having your squad more united then dispersed.

One other thing,
Fizer wrote: ... but what does the club care anyway. They give us no news and they don't care.
I totally agree with you Fizer, so many NRL Clubs take real good care of their fan's when it comes to informing everyone about their U20's. Melbourne Storm was one of the worse! Cowboys, Warriors, Titans to name a few did some great work, you can't help but envy their updates and the likes. I would do it myself for free to update the Thuderbolts if I could, that's how frustrating it is lol.
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
icu
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Another season over, same outcome. I really thought at the beginning we had a squad good enough to make it into the top 8 even with changes through-out the season. It appears bad selections played a big part in the teams failure besides injury and promotions. Better luck next year and lets hope there is also more coverage and updates on the storms website for the 20's.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

it annyed me the lack of info, I can't even accurately work out a leading try or point scorer argh!!!
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

2014 Point scores.

Tries:

Josh Minhinnick
Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Cam Munster

Junior Kirisome
Suliasi Vunivalu
Tony Tumusa

Francis Tualau - 5
L. Robinson - 5

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Jake Turpin
Rhys Kennedy

Joe Stimson
Niua Finau-Puaka
Reubenn Rennie
Una Mohi

Billy Brittain
Charlie Galo
Christian Welch (c)
Dean Britt
K. Bernard

Matt Lodge
Richard Kennar
Tremaine Jensen
Logan Haughton
Aaron Presnell

Goals:
Cam Munster

Brayden Torpy

Niua Finau-Puaka

Billy Brittain
Maxwell Fesolai

Total points:
Cam Munster -94
Josh Minhinnick - 52
Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 52
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Nelson Asofa-Solomona with 13 tries set the highest number of tires in a season for a forward for us passing 12 tries by Blake Leary in 2010.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks, Fizer, where did you find that info, everywhere I looked was incomplete. Did it list the number of games played anywhere?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/news/ ... d/2380107/

MACKAY'S rugby league stocks continue to attract attention on the national stage, and there could be a new name on people's lips.

Rising star Daniel Boyd, 17, has been invited to Melbourne to trial for the Storm's under-18s for the 2015 season.

The Brothers junior, who was also part of the under-18 Mackay Cutters squad that made this year's Mal Meninga Cup semi-finals, will fly to Melbourne this weekend for a day of training.

"I was pretty happy to get the call," Boyd said.

"I've had a pretty good season - probably the best I've had - so it'll be good to go down and see where I'm at compared to the other kids.

"I've never played against anyone from down there so it'll be interesting to see what they're like."

Boyd was scouted by former Mackay Cutter and Mackay State High School teacher Janan Billings, who is now linked to the Storm.

He saw Boyd play in Mackay earlier in the year and told him he'd get in contact regarding a trial. Boyd received a call from Billings two weeks ago, and said it came as a shock.

"I didn't believe him at first; it's kind of one of those things that you don't believe until it actually happens," Boyd said.

Boyd's dream is to play in the NRL, and while that's still a fair way down the track, he said joining a professional club like the Melbourne Storm would be a huge step in the right direction.

"It'd be awesome to play in the NRL; there's no way I'd say no to that," he said.

"But that's a long way off. Going down there to see the other players and work with the coaches at the club would be good, and that's what this is about."

Boyd and his under-18 Brothers teammates finished 2014 with a loss in the grand-final against Souths.

He said there would be "about 40 kids" trialling for the team this weekend, and expected to hear whether or not he was successful the following week.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wonder if they are trialling at strathmore again
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

NZ u18 Residents just Joseph Apikotoa named in the squad.
NZ 18s coaches have named an extended squad of players for their team to face the Taurahere Kiwis side later this month.

The squad, chosen by head coach Tom Ball and assistant Moehewa Armstrong, features eight players currently on duty with the Junior Warriors in the NRL Holden Cup playoffs.

The group will be reduced to 19 for a series against the New South Wales-based Kiwis, scheduled for September 28 and October 2 in Rotorua.

The extended squad is:

Bradley Abbey (Junior Warriors), Bunty Afoa (Junior Warriors), Joseph Apikotoa (Wellington), Erin Clark (Akarana), Vaipouli Edmonds (Counties Manukau), Mose Esera (Akarana), Mattais Heimuli (Junior Warriors), Mafoa'aeata Hingano (Junior Warriors), Jamel Hunt (Counties Manukau), Zaylin Inu (Akarana), Zion Ioka (Akarana), Nick Lui-Toso (Akarana), James Maafi (Akarana), Dre Melvin (Wellington), Christian Mika (Junior Warriors), Tyler Mohi (Counties Manukau), Marata Niukore (Junior Warriors), Ofahiki Ogden (Junior Warriors), Fabien Paletua-Kiri (Mid Central), Jordan Pinnock (South Island), Rueben Porter (Akarana), Joseph Price (Counties Manukau), Connor Purcell (Akarana), Nathaniel Roche (Junior Warriors), Cyrus Timo-Latu (South Island), Richard Timoti (Akarana), Scott Tofa-Timoteo (Akarana), Ken Tofilau (South Island), Amoni Tufui (Akarana), Fuaimamao Uta (Akarana), Tiaan Wilkins (Counties Manukau), Logan Yates (Counties Manukau), Eddie Wulf (Akarana)
Stormkiwi
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

sallymay wrote:Just saw on IG that Suli is having surgery...not sure what his done but to have surgery on a sat is strange I think anyway

Wish we got more info on our 20s

Anyone think storm might offer Francis Taulau a first grade contract...I think his pretty good and turned 20 recently

The surgery was to repair his knee which he injured in 2013 during the national 1STXV Rugby final in New Zealand which he played in. Sorry about the late reply.