NYC, SG Ball, Harold Matthews + Scholarships 2014

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Nelson Asofa-Solomona was our other try-scorer.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stat rankings from this weeks big league

Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 20 offloads 3rd in the league.
Nelson Asofa-Solomona - 67 tackle breaks. 2nd in the league
Rhys Kennedy - 70 decoys 2nd in league
Christian Welch - 64 decoys 4th in league
Billy Brittain - 655 receives 5th in league
Josh Minhinnick - 12 line breaks 3rd equal in legue.
Josh Minhinnick - 12 Tries 4th equal in league.
Billy Brittain - 8 try assists tied 2nd in league.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Nelson's stats there in offloads and tackle breaks are very good but I still feel like he's being underutilized. I watched him against the Dragons and he was basically a passenger, except for the three times I saw him receive the ball in the second half where each time he created havoc for St George's defensive line.
Gaiscioch
Squall
Squall

Inglis#3 wrote:Nelson's stats there in offloads and tackle breaks are very good but I still feel like he's being underutilized. I watched him against the Dragons and he was basically a passenger, except for the three times I saw him receive the ball in the second half where each time he created havoc for St George's defensive line.
I've had this thought for a while, it's like all to do with safety and gradual step up for some of the younger players, but I'm unsure if Melbourne really know what they have with NAS. The sooner they use him in FG, the better off FG will be. Definitely underutilized, he should have been used in the Auckland 9's also.

But the games I have seen him play, he's just not seeing enough of the ball while hes stuck on the right side. The team is so structured he's probably instructed not to get involved till the ball is set to go his way.

Wonder how Dean Britt will go with the Sharks and sounds like Munster had played well for the East Tigers.
Anyone know if Eli Voli will be involved again, and any word on how Suliasli had gone in his last game as I see he and NAS scored in their last outing in a loss for the T-Bolts?
[align=]You don't take a taser to a gun fight! :lol:[/align]
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is the team Easts played yesterday in Q Cup the one we send some of our NYC players to from time to time? I heard the names Vunivalu and Tualau in commentary.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Is the team Easts played yesterday in Q Cup the one we send some of our NYC players to from time to time? I heard the names Vunivalu and Tualau in commentary.
Yes, Mattpoet Sunshine Coast Falcons is where we send some of our NYC players. Suliasi Vunivalu scored a try for the Falcons yesterday.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Omg that's awesome
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Figured it probably was but the weren't named in Big League so I wasn't sure. There seem to be a couple of former Storm NYC players in there too in Lobwein and Hansen. Good on Vunivalu for scoring too.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Gaiscioch wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote:Nelson's stats there in offloads and tackle breaks are very good but I still feel like he's being underutilized. I watched him against the Dragons and he was basically a passenger, except for the three times I saw him receive the ball in the second half where each time he created havoc for St George's defensive line.
I've had this thought for a while, it's like all to do with safety and gradual step up for some of the younger players, but I'm unsure if Melbourne really know what they have with NAS. The sooner they use him in FG, the better off FG will be. Definitely underutilized, he should have been used in the Auckland 9's also.

But the games I have seen him play, he's just not seeing enough of the ball while hes stuck on the right side. The team is so structured he's probably instructed not to get involved till the ball is set to go his way.

Wonder how Dean Britt will go with the Sharks and sounds like Munster had played well for the East Tigers.
Anyone know if Eli Voli will be involved again, and any word on how Suliasli had gone in his last game as I see he and NAS scored in their last outing in a loss for the T-Bolts?

They WILL know what they've got with him but the only stat that counts overall for Storm development are defensive ones. If his tackling is up there he will get his chance, if not he will have work to do. You are right on the whole re safety & gradual promotion...Storm nurture their future players, get them to learn their roles and have an emphasis on team play and longevity. The process is relatively gradual and the opportunity is there if the potential is. Work hard and continue to improve yourself is the motto...how many times do we hear that mantra from our star players - it's ingrained & it's the most important mindset for CB. That's what they try to instill in the younger ones - do that and they've got it all ahead of them
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Structure is exactly the reason NaS gets a cold out on the edge. I've voiced my opinion before but to rehash I'm not a fan of the youth teams playing like first grade.

You can teach them to he sound defensively but still encourage them to play football. I mean how lima lima lima duck ridiculous is it that these days coaches get 16-17 year olds and say this is what you are this is where you'll stay I.e. left or right.

IMO Craig has had too much say in the style of the junior teams since Arthur left, and let's be honest l, he won't be here after 2016 so why indoctrinate youth into a style that will probably change when he goes.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Vunivalu out of today's lineup as he is playing NSW cup.
Luther
Squall
Squall

18-12 to cowboys 23mins left
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So Vunivalu has played for three teams / clubs this year: Storm NYC, Sunshine Coast Falcons Qld Cup and Sharks NSW Cup.
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Disappointing to lose on the buzzer and to a team below us on the table.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Our best team of under 22 year olds. Snuck the 23 year old Griffin into there as we're a bit short of hooker depth. Not a bad looking side.

1. Cameron Munster (19)
2. Suliasi Vunivalu (18)
3. Hymel Hunt (20)
4. Mahe Fonua (21)
5. Young Tonumaipea (21)
6. Kurt Mann (21)
7. Ben Hampton (22)
8. Felise Kafausi (22)
9. Slade Griffin (23)
10. Jordan McLean (22)
11. Tohu Harris (22)
12. Nelson Asofu Solomona (18)