Rd 23: Knights V Storm - Hunter Stadium Sun 18th August

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How good is our forward pack looking? Jesse B, Kevvie, Tohu and now Jordan McClean and Kenneath (along with our veterans like Hoffy and Noz). Jeez I hope we can lock them all in long term. They are turning into a really good young pack that could give us great service for quite a while with any luck :-D
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As the years go on I'm glad we decided to retain Bromwich over Tolman. Mcclean is going to be scary good with a couple more years of first grade under his belt.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What a surprise it must be that time of year again. Remember origin time we lost 4 of five when you didn't hear boo from the scum Sydney press and all you heard was it's gonna be 2 Sydney teams in the GF? Funny how when we start making our (inevitable) charge and stake our claim as legitimate contenders the Storm hate begins to rear it's ugly head once more.

It shits me to tears reading it as a supporter but i have a feeling that coach and the boys lap it up and use it as motivation. I know they stress that they don't but they're only human and you couldn't blame them one bit and if it means it helps them bring that trophy back where it belongs then is say bring it on scumbags! ;)
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Since 1998 it's been US & them - It still is :twisted:
And the really sad thing for them,(the sad twisted owners - coaches - players - media non entities - ex players) who try anyway they can to keep US down is.
THAT WE'RE STILL HERE !! WE'LL ALWAYS BE HERE !!
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder how the media would be if it were us that intentionally wet a ball before a kickoff.

I wish Cronk knew he doesn't have to take one for the team like he did. I'm fine with it if its a last ditch effort to Dave a try but Slater would have clearly stopped a try. Hopefully he doesn't do it and get binned in a big game.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On the us against them thing, it was stated in Storm Clouds that Bellamy does create that seige mentality before big games and the players do lap it up
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

In regards to broadcasting, I did notice at the Swans AFL game, they have banners advertising that ALL Swans games are live on 7Mate. How good would that be if all Storm games (Foxtel and Ch9) were shown either on Go, Gem or Extra. We can only wish for that day to come.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Are these Sunday arvo games delayed on Nein throughout the country? Or just those states who have to watch it on Gem?
The amount of ads they show is just outrageous. I recall one of the 'commentators' mention how quick the game seems to have been played. I said to myself it seems like its been going all day.
They really spoil a game when we attack their line, and its really exciting...then 6 ads in a row and you forget what was even happening.
...oh, that's right, a drop out. Then a try and...more ads before the conversion attempt.
And those 'commentators'!!! Seriously, does anyone really like all that shit that Warren and Hadley and Gould crap on about? Who gives a duck about white laces on black shoes and other irrelevant garbage during a call?
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Its delayed everywhere as far as I'm aware. There are other ways to see it live - its just about knowing where to look :P (no ads, except for halftime...same commentators though)

Its interesting to note, when they do go for ad breaks here, they keep commentating for the benefit of overseas viewers, then will stop to say 'welcome back blah blah blah'

RE: J McLean; I was going to post about a couple of weeks ago that he needed more game time, and had to step up - he's huge, and while inexperienced at first grade, he'd be able to dominate other players and hasn't been......he definitely stepped up yesterday, big performance, something I hope continues through to the gf!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

McLean was awesome yesterday. Good to see Noz score a try in his 150th game. That was his 7 th try, all of which he has scored at the Storm. Congrats to Jordan on his first try. Cameron's second half was great. I haven't seen him run so much out of dummy half as he did in the second half.

What has happened to the sin bin rule? Cooper should have gone to the bin. What about Joey saying they wouldn't wet the ball in Newcastle?

Great defence by the Storm but we need to work on our discipline. We can't afford to give away that many penalties against Roosters, Rabbitohs or Manly.

The match is shown at 4:00 in NSW and Qld so None can run it into their news.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote:McLean was awesome yesterday. Good to see Noz score a try in his 150th game. That was his 7 th try, all of which he has scored at the Storm. Congrats to Jordan on his first try. Cameron's second half was great. I haven't seen him run so much out of dummy half as he did in the second half.

What has happened to the sin bin rule? Cooper should have gone to the bin. What about Joey saying they wouldn't wet the ball in Newcastle?

Great defence by the Storm but we need to work on our discipline. We can't afford to give away that many penalties against Roosters, Rabbitohs or Manly.

The match is shown at 4:00 in NSW and Qld so None can run it into their news.

Dunno Scooter, I actually thought they got that right. Technically you`re right and Cooper should have gone but I`m wondering if the ref drew the same conclusion we did when we were watching it and that was that Boyd had dived. When it happened I thought Cooper definitely put has hands on him and grabbed him ( hence technically a professional foul) but I really don`t think he grabbed him with enough pressure to stop Boyd from getting past if he had wanted to. Instead Boyd drops like a stone and then gets straight up running at the ref with his fingers in the air wanting Coops marched. I think the refs probably looked at it and thought he was play acting and felt they needed to give a penalty to adhere to the technicality but figured that that was all that was warranted. Either way, Bennet can whinge all he likes. It`s not like we don`t cop some absolutely absurd decisions going against as at times
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Cronk was marched for that after O'Neill was taken out twice in far more likely try scoring positions a few weeks ago, I would have been furious.

Slater had that kick covered.

And if they want to sin bin a player every time a fullback chases through an attacking bomb and is taken out, we have been dudded BIG TIME over the past few years. Happens to Billy almost once a game.

Yet the Blue state have marched out the "protected species" line once again. Only when it suits an agenda it seems...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some interesting stats from the game;

Penalties
Knights 10 - Storm 4
It was 10 - 2 until late in the game. The last two were only given to narrown the ridiculous gap the ladies in pink intentionally opened up).

Completions
Knights 30/40 (75%) - Storm 31/36 (86%)
Awesome work from our guys. I would like to know if over the past 6 years if we have completed over 85% and lost a game.

Missed Tackles
Knights 32 - Storm 38
Slightly concerning. We did have to make an extra 75 tackles however and fatigue had to be a factor. Our cover of Gagai was poor all day however.

Run Metres (Combined Fullback, Wingers and Centres)
Knights 645m - Storm 435m
The Knights backs were all very strong, making big metres off the back of a dominant forward display.

The Knights defensive line was suffocating in the first half. Line speed was lightning and we really weren't going anywhere resulting in Cronk and Smith hoofing the ball as far as possible to get us out of danger numerous times. Our forwards will need to muscle up coming into the finals.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I actually wonder whether that game was a tale of two halves by design or by necessity?
In the first half we played a very grinding game with long deep kicks aimed at the dead ball line, and attacked their right edge all the time.
Whereas the 2nd half was Cam's dummy half running, kicking for dropouts, and attacking their left edge more.
Was the strategy to mix it up so that by the time Bennett could get the message out we'd already have the game sewn up mentally and on the scoreboard?
Just a thought.
Or was it simply a halftime spray and a bit more effort, led by Cam, that got us the win?

As for Coops, 50/50 call. I think it was a suspicion tackle as his back was slightly turned so just caught his perripheral vision and reacted. There didn't appear to be a deliberate act of impeding Boyd without the ball.
As stated, this happens to Billy every game. Often worse circumstances.
And in light of O'Neil's rough treatment by Luke Patten recently they had no right whatsoever to bin Coops. We'd best be careful because they probably reckon they're even now.
stormdolls
Squall
Squall

To YOURHERO

In reference to your paragraph on PENALTIES the count may have been 10-2 against the storm but they only had THEMSELVES to blame 8 of them were for kidstuff 6 for holding down 2 for raking the ball out,so don't say the referees tried to even up,giving us 2 of our own those 8 were legitimate
Storm induced,look a little closer next time.(Will take into consideration that after all you are from ADALAIDE) (L.O.L.)

:hello2: :hello2: