Storm Cloud: Greed, Betrayal and Success

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:This worries me
as well as an email, copied to Bellamy, discussing the club's dire salary cap situation as early as 2007.
Yeah but that hardly means the full extent of the drama was known. It could be that the email stated that things weren't looking good and some tough decisions to offload players will need to be made. Not necessarily - "We are xxx over the salary cap".
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

When I read this story this morning, I was angry because this is not the whole story from the book:

The email was from Peter O'Sullivan to Cameron Vale. O'Sullivan cc everyone in the storm coaching department at the time and Waldron. It was in reply to Vale's email to O'Sullivan saying he (Vale) had asked Schubert in giving players Harvey Norman vouchers or goods in lieu of payments had to be included in the salary cap. Vale was told it was part of the salary cap and told O'Sullivan this.

O'Sullivan was furious with Vale for going to the NRL and told him so. He said he should of stayed quiet because the NRL would never find out and now they knew. He also stated that he was doing his job by paying players this way because it was the only way to keep players and every team in the NRL was doing.

This is all in the book, if you had only read the SMH side of it, you would like CB knew in 20007 Storm were millions over the cap. But that is not the whole story. But it will be believed by everyone and no one will even know the rest because the paper did not lie, but only told part of the story. Just like the two sets of books everyone said Storm had, that is not true either.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well, we seem to be selling a shitload.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am 200 pages in, bought the online copy for $ 9.99. Actually a good read lots of storm history from the inside. The author doesn't seem like a news ltd storm hater, I actually get the feeling he has respect for us. He talks a lot about us developing our own and struggling to match other clubs offersq.
. Re: the email. Daily Tele takes it totally out of context. At the end POS says we don't want to lose points so let's fix it now. The email is a lets get this fixed, not hide it. But Waldron had other ideas.
The title from the Tele "the book storm don't want you to read" is stupid. The book actually makes us look better than I thought.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm still reading POS as piece of s**t :lol:
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You mean it's not lol?
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I could post some excerpts here. Am I allowed?
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I could post some excerpts here. Am I allowed?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I want to know that too Mauritain.
I want to post the email that the papers are going on about because it does not say what the papers said.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Mauritian wrote:I could post some excerpts here. Am I allowed?
I don't see why you couldn't. We quote from newspapers, etc all the time. The site is not set up for commercial gain either, so they wouldn't need a license of any sort to publish others' work.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

my understanding is you just link where you got it from etc and i think its all good. if its from the book post a link of the books name and and maybe where to purchase it. you cant paste the entire work, but some sections you can.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I like this bit.

"To assuage his creeping discomfort, Hanson once asked a player manager whether it was happening at other clubs. The agent replied, 'Ive got players with every single club and they've all got separate deals to the NRL Contract.'
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well why didn`t he come out and name names,easy to say "everybody is doing it". WE ALL KNOW EVERYONE IS DOING IT.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This is a letter that Brett White wrote to Gallop on the night we were stripped of premierships.
at 4am. He never sent it. Wish he had.

'Your suggestion was that we play for personal pride - obviously comes from someone that has never pulled on a pair of footy boots. That you'll offer us a counseling service to get over this shows your disconnection from the players of the game. At least have the decency to give us something to play for. Give us a reason to truly go out there and compete week to week. Give the fans a reason to turn up each week. Give the members something to be proud of. Give us a chance to make our members proud again before our team is torn apart.

it really is a cracking book. I couldn't put it down, read it in two days. Very well written. Expect a Tele movie lol.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That was 'Tele' as in TV movie, not scum daily Tele. The guy from squizzy can play Slater.