We Really Need a Back-Up Goal Kicker

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Goal kicking seems to be underrated these days, but it is such an important aspect to a team winning or losing. The Storm has lost matches due to a missed conversion, and we've never been known as a team that relies on goal kicking, but I hope that changes.

Cam has been our first choice kicker since 2006 (currently he is into his eighth season of doing it) and you can see that while he probably still wants to do the task, the look on his face when he is lining up for goal sometimes suggests he is getting tired of it. Forwards typically don't kick goals, so his longevity in doing the job is pretty special - remember he also shared the duties with Ox in 2004-05 (other forwards have kicked goals in the last 10-15 years eg. David Furner, Craig Fitzgibbon, Mark Riddell, Corey Parker - even Michael Crocker and Michael Ennis used to kick a few back in the day).

Now Widdop is out for the season and leaving the club, we really need get someone to be trained to do the job if need be. Cooper Cronk is a great field kicker, but is not a competent goal kicker (1/6 in his career sums that up). Bobby Blair also showed he can do the job if necessary, but the one he kicked against Gold Coast was from pretty much a throw over so his ability from the sideline is unknown. Even Matt Duffie kicked one a couple of years ago (if I recall that was right in front of the posts though). Apart from maybe Ben Hampton (not sure if he has kicked goals before or not), I don't know about any other players in the squad that can potentially fill in for Cam or possibly eventually take over from him when he decides not to do it anymore.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattstormy I agree. I assume Maurice will kick goals on Sun. Thinking of the future McGahan kicks in the under 20s, so he could be an option in the future if he gets a game. I think Sa'u kicked some goals for Easts earlier in the year, but he is unlikely to get too many games this year and is then off to Salford. Plus I am not sure how good he was.

There is no one else in the squad that immediately springs to mind. Do we need to recruit a decent or fringe first grader solely for their kicking?

Or as you noted we need to train one. This reminds me of the Bulldogs situation from a number of years ago. When Halligan retired Hazem and Sherwin had a kick off at training for the role. With a lot of hard work look at how good Hazem became. I suppose it is partially a case of somebody wanting to take on the role and put in the practice.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've voiced my opinion on our goal kicking months ago :lol: If Widdop was fit I would have him as first choice.

Do agree though. Cronk having the 1st choice duties the other week was an embarrassment, he clearly isn't a goal kicker. Maybe we can get Hampton to eventually takeover. Not sure if he's kicked goals before or if he's interested in it. No matter what though, I think the club should invest in bringing in Halligan or even Elmasri as a kicking coach to develop some kickers.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I can't remember if Finchy kicked in the past.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ryles is the obvious choice.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't think it matters what position you play as to whether you can kick a ball off a tee. Sure there's some natural ability/coordination involved but the rest is practiced and perfected.
If Cronk wanted the job I'm sure he's more than disciplined enough to perfect it to El Masri standards. But would it interfere with his regime to keep his ball playing and field kicking games at their optimum?
Another true competitor is Billy Slater. He probably couldn't kick a goal between the corner posts now, but give him the challenge he'll have it mastered by the WCC next year.
I reckon the only reason Cam kicks at about 75% is because of the added pressures of captaining the side and his high work rate.
If there ever was an ideal positional player to kick goals I'd say it'd be the outside backs
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In the Coke Zero challenges, Cam Smith was attempting to kick a goal from the corner post and curve it through the posts. In the footage he had a few attempts and couldn't quite get it... Slater nailed one though :)

By no means take that as any indication that I want or would ever want Slater kicking goals. I am very happy for Smith to continue until he retires at which point a successor can be appointed. Smith has his moments but overall is a solid goal kicker. Has definitely got better as time has gone on. It would be great though if Smith could remember how to kick goals in important finals games though.

As a backup, I don't know... If Hampton gets the 5/8 job next year, maybe him. Maybe Bobby Blair. A backup kicker is not high on the list of priorities.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

maybe mcgahan will get 5/8 and kill two birds with one stone
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Apparently Chris Sandow's future at Parramatta isn't looking good (him being dropped and also the fact that their halves combination of Roberts and Kelly worked against Penrith). Surely his price tag of 550k will drop dramatically after his two disappointing years there so far, and he could be a good replacement for Widdop at five-eighth with Bellyache's boot camp style training. Why is this being put in this thread, because he is a great goal kicker as well and would easily be a possible replacement if Cam decides to give it up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The whole problem with Sandow is that he hasn't been able to adapt to a structured game plan... Melbourne is THE most structured team in the comp. In my opinion, it wouldn't be a good fit for us or him... That and Melbourne players are expected to be able to tackle :)

The whole issue of a backup goal kicker is pointless if we can't score points (or more generally, play footy) without Cam in the team.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Imagine an edge defence consisting of Sandow/O'Neill/Fonua.

:lol:
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:Imagine an edge defence consisting of Sandow/O'Neill/Fonua.

:lol:

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: that would be what it would look like
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bump, bump, bump. Now that I'm over the speed bumps, where were we?