STOP CHANGING THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is officially RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have YET ANOTHER new jersey this week, for no apparent reason!!!!!!

In the past 3 years we have had 3 different home strips, 3 different away strips, a Worlc Club Challenge Strip, 2 different heritage strips, 2 women in league jerseys, an indigenous jersey (and presumably another this year) and now this new one tomorrow night. That is at least 13 off the top of my head with a probable 14th to come!

ENOUGH is ENOUGH!!!!

This needs to stop, I wear my Storm jerseys from '08 and '09 and kids ask me what team it is. When the jersey can't be identified by children in that city, we have GONE TOO FAR!!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Get used to it. It's the way sport is heading. Besides whatever makes money for the club! If its beneficial then I'm all for it.

Whether people agree or not, it's going to continue.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh, forgot the Superman and Batman jerseys, more useless promotion!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep. I hate it too.

The club is selling out imo.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't particularly mind. If it helps bring some additional sponsorship coin to the club, I'm ok with it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Get over it

I have a 1999 and 2008 jerseys. My daughter has a 2009 and my granddaughter a 2011. I wish I could afford to buy a few more.
I love some of the one-off's. The heritage, indigenous and superman have been particularly good I reckon.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:This is officially RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This needs to stop, I wear my Storm jerseys from '08 and '09 and kids ask me what team it is. When the jersey can't be identified by children in that city, we have GONE TOO FAR!!
I am ok with one off's from time to time, but you have hit the nail on the head here... the jersey is the ultimate branding the club has, and if it's been diluted to the point that people don't recognise our jersey when being worn then it is becoming a problem.
I understand merchandising and the sales that go with that (assuming it will be for sale again), but it's becoming ridiculous. Isn't this the 4th of 5th straight home game with a different jersey?

This jersey is basically the same as our last 'battle jersey' just without the camo... very little point imo
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm on the fence when it comes to this issue. I'm a jersey nerd so having so many different designs is cool for me. At the same time, I'm also someone who believes in tradition, clean designs and jerseys which stand the test of time. So, I both like and dislike this jersey for different reasons - and the same goes for all our other one-offs (heritage is the exception - it ticks all the right boxes).

It's not just the fact that we've had several different jerseys this year. There's nothing which unifies them all. You've got the un-flattering mess that is our home and away, the hoops, the over-sized V of the battle jersey (which follows the 2010-12 style of jersey anyway) and a Superman costume. Nothing matches.

I think more people would be on-board with one-offs if they took either our home or away jersey (which aren't great as it is) and came up with modified versions of those - ie. pink lightning bolts for the WiL jersey.

In a couple of years, the club will start thinking about changing our look again. Before then, as the fans and members of this club, we need to let them know what we want. The way things are going now just doesn't work.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I love us getting new jersey's, I'm happy to have as many new jerseys as the club wants.

It creates new revenue streams and to be honest our jerseys have changed alot over the past 6 years...so get used to the change and get over it.

I hope they bring back the yellow away jersey, I loved that
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't mind jerseys for movie promotion (revenue for the club), jerseys for a good cause (Indigeonous and Women in League) or Heritage jerseys, but what is the point of the Battle jersey against the Broncos at AAMI Park (we've had it since 2011)??? It is stupid, has the design tweaked every year, serves no purpose whatsoever in promoting the club and is a complete waste of time and material.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

movies and other themed ones are good imo but i dont understand the 'battle' jersey though, has the club announced why they do it?
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Its just a jersey kids, the main brand is still untouched since 1998
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Agree with the OP. The Man of Steel jersey was just hideous.
I don't mind the odd change, but it's officially ridiculous now.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think the real 'one-off' jersey is whatever the one thats meant to be our home strip - I'm sure it's made a cameo appearance at some point!

Brand dilution is definitely a bad thing.....but, if it's a case of making worthwhile dollars to pump out jerseys...well, let them pump out jerseys - I for one want a club to support long term.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Perhaps a better option for the club would be doing what the Warriors do - coming up with some really cool, out there designs for training jerseys and selling them. That way, they can get away with changing the design(s) each year. There might not be as much money in it compared to wearing a Superman jersey for a televised game but if they're smart with how they promote it, it could still work quite well.