R17 - Melbourne vs Brisbane Fri 5/07 7:35pm @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone know how waqa is?

I saw Young warming up tonight, is he any chance of fb next week maybe?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just finished watching the 1st half replay and I have absolutely no problem with the commentary whatsoever. Infact I'll go further to say it is one of the best I've heard for some time. Heaps better that those idiots Warren, Hadley and Gould. And heaps better than those tossers Warren Smith and Brandy on FoxSports.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

More s*** comes out of warren smith's mouth than werribee sewage plant, I can't watch with sound when he commentates
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Easily the best game the guys have played for a while. I thought they all played really well but Sisa and Finchy were excellent. Had to laugh when the commentators made the comment about the Broncos heavy travel schedule this week and how they had chosen to stay in NZ before coming to Melbourne. Poor little princesses...
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Outstanding team performance. The Broncos were better than the score reflected, with much of the game played in our half.
But the boys defended extremely well and were clinical in attack. The forwards dominated up the middle which allowed the backs to do their magic.
Coops' kicking radar was in full working order, Smithy was his usual brilliant self, Harris was everywhere, and Norrie played his season's best game. Jesse, Vave and McClean were massive too.
Billy was massive defensely as usual and very illusive in attack, albeit well marked at times. This created options for the outside backs, who all stood up last night. None more than Waqa, who was a well deserved man of the match.
Finchy played well. He seems to have really clicked into the gear required for first grade, and will only get better with each game he plays.
I think Bellyache would've been very impressed with what he saw last night. Hopefully we all see much more of it in the coming weeks.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Great performance. Not sure why the commentators were going apeshit over the non-try at 52 mins. Wasn't clear that it touched the ground.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I sit on that sideline about the 20m mark and my initial reaction was held up.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was one of those 50/50 calls.
Slater did an awesome job of ensuring his hand was under the ball.
However, there is a strong possibility that leather touched grass.

Now you must ask...
Was there downward pressure on grass or hand?
Was the video evidence definitive enough to overrule the refs call?
If the ref had of said try, would it be overturned?

A decision needed to be made. And I reckon both refs got it right.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Must be slow news day. Fox highlighting Storm as perpetrators with cannonball tackle. By all their accounts we're the only ones guilty of using it.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Turtle188 wrote:Must be slow news day. Fox highlighting Storm as perpetrators with cannonball tackle. By all their accounts we're the only ones guilty of using it.

Saw the link on SMH website as well....

they are gunning for Norrie and Waqa to be cited.

What a load of crap.

They were both vigorous low tackles but completely different to a true cannonball like Isaac Luke last got rubbed out for.

Geez the media wankers in Sydney hate Melbourne Storm with a passion.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea that's the funny thing, they aren't even cannonball tackles :lol: Norrie's on Parker didn't look good though.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

They started running that story at 11.00pm last night and they have been running all day. The tackles are not even mention in the Sydney papers stories about the game. It is the only thing Fox sports is saying about the game, nothing about how we playing of the Broncos played. They also edited the piece to change what Sterlo said during the game. Someone at Fox sports must not like Melbourne Storm.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

They mustn't have watched the broncos because they were doing the same thing and even their number 7 twisted Billy`s leg near the end of the game. thaiday comes in at the legs, commentators were saying all clubs do it but they must hate Melbourne more than they hate qld.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

They weren't 'cannonball' tackles like Isaac Luke and a few others were doing last year. These seem to be directed at the back of the knees forcing the players legs to collapse.
I thought to myself last night watching the replay that it didn't look good. Whether others are doing it or not, we should not. It is a poor strategy.
Refs need to call held sooner. If three blokes are all over a guy then he's held. Yet they continue to struggle and the ref doesn't yell held. Then another tackler comes in to take the legs out.
If the refs did their jobs better the players wouldn't need to use these techniques.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

waqas was above the knee, both legs wrapped up so nothing wrong with it. norries looked ugly, but its because parker seen him coming and tried to avoid it, should be no further action taken with both players imo