Billy going to 5/8?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6668479632

Could be an interesting move. I`m not sure what it would mean for the young guys waiting in the wing though
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta say, I wouldn't be very keen to see that.

His decision making with passes and kicks is too erratic to play 5/8 full time. His execution can be world class but he just doesn't always make the right choice, particularly when ad-libing.

He is the best fullback in the world and does the perfect job for us at the back. I would not even consider it tbh.

Slater's best assets are his prowess under the high ball, positioning, fitness and support play. A switch to 5/8 does a hell of a job to negate his natural, brilliant game.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Gotta say, I wouldn't be very keen to see that.

His decision making with passes and kicks is too erratic to play 5/8 full time. His execution can be world class but he just doesn't always make the right choice, particularly when ad-libing.

He is the best fullback in the world and does the perfect job for us at the back. I would not even consider it tbh.

Slater's best assets are his prowess under the high ball, positioning, fitness and support play. A switch to 5/8 does a hell of a job to negate his natural, brilliant game.
100% agree. I have faith that one of our young halves will be the right man for the job.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As a last resort only if we had someone to cover fb but no 5/8 that week, not long term!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6668479632

Lost my attention right here

"Now there are suggestions from Bleak City "

Typical Murdoch-press bullshit
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It is way too late in Billy's career to be moving him to another position. Lockyer was 26-27 when he moved to pivot full time in 2004 and played eight years there. Billy will be 31 mid next year and that only means he will have a couple of years to master the position before he retires. It will be a waste of time and effort IMO.

Lockyer will go down as the greatest dual position player in history and could become an Immortal for that. Billy could become an immortal due to playing only fullback and people want to move him untried to pivot just to see how he goes.

If it was going to happen, it should have been about 2007 after Scott Hill left. It certainly shouldn't happen now.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good point. If it happened it should have happened in 2007. Moving GI to fullback, Slater to 5/8th and then Izzy/King as centres. That is one scary lineup.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, nah.

World of difference ball playing at 6 and at FB, less time to make decisions. Not the best front on tackler either and not much kicking game. Besides which we have ready made replacements at 6 cant say the same about 1.

Best to leave him at FB.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph
Slow RL News Day or just hiding under the desk from the REALLY BLEAK NSW weather :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The exact same article was done yesterday by Russell Gould ( I think). Typical NSW reporter steals the article and puts in his unprofessional opinion.