Cameron Smith

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
actionman
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

They are after our Cammie!! :(

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6682743947

EXCLUSIVE: BRISBANE legend Darren Lockyer has urged club hierarchy to make a big-money play for Cameron Smith, hailing the Queensland skipper the man to rebuild the embattled Broncos as a premiership force.

CRASH CRADDOCK: SMITH A GAMBLE WORTH TAKING

Having watched Brisbane's slide towards the NRL cellar with concern, Lockyer delivered his recruitment blueprint aimed at reinvigorating the Broncos and breaking a seven-year title drought.

Languishing in 12th ahead of this Friday's crucial derby clash with the Cowboys, Brisbane have been linked with a number of marquee stars, including Bulldogs sensation Ben Barba and Maroons rookie Daly Cherry-Evans.

But Lockyer, who left a huge leadership void at Red Hill following his retirement in 2011, believes Smith, his Test and Origin captaincy successor, should be the No.1 target.

The Storm champion is off-contract at the end of next season, meaning rival clubs can formally approach him from November 1 this year.

Last month, Smith told The Courier-Mail he would weigh up all offers - and Lockyer says that sentiment should be sufficient motivation for Broncos officials to lure the Logan product home.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Can't see why Cam would want to spend 2 or 3 seasons at best with a struggling Brisbane team. Pretty sure he has the desire to retire as a one-club player, seeing how rare they are these days. Not to mention finishing with his two companions, Billy and Cooper who he's almost all his footy with. There are untold incentives for Cam to stay loyal and remain at Melbourne and very little for him to move to Brisbane.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea, they're going to have to throw a lot of money at him to get him away from Melbourne. I'm not concerned at all as I can't see him leaving.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

see what they do with marquee players thing they want to bring in. i think it should be for loyalty of players/clubs who bring their juniors through the ranks and stay on, not just the rich clubs buying a free player
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

storming wrote:see what they do with marquee players thing they want to bring in. i think it should be for loyalty of players/clubs who bring their juniors through the ranks and stay on, not just the rich clubs buying a free player
Exactly. And with the changes made to 3rd party payments in 2010 there's, effectively, no real salary cap anymore anyway. This marquee player thing is bullshit.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I dont know guys, Cam Smith and I have the same barber who is planning on retiring soon (but this is very hush hush) so I would say he will start fresh in a new state with a new club and a new barber when that time comes. You heard it here first!

Haha, but to be honest, there is no surprise that he will be demanding huge money with the class player he is. Also its no surprise that Broncos and a host of other clubs are interested, any player like Cam will be on everyones wishlist.
Broncos must think about youth though, Cam is 30(IIRC) and he looks like he could go on for a long time but when Prince, Hodges and Parker go there wont be alot keeping him interested in playing unless there are a few other big name signings.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

good points
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Post footy career stuff will probably be a factor - much like it was for Thurston recently.

Give the man whatever he wants. We could pay him $2M a season and still get value out of him. Without a doubt an Immortal in the waiting.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:Post footy career stuff will probably be a factor - much like it was for Thurston recently.

Give the man whatever he wants. We could pay him $2M a season and still get value out of him. Without a doubt an Immortal in the waiting.
Spot on. As for post-footy he's smart enough to coach and articulate enough to fill a media/commentary job.

If this marquee signing thing happens then surely we're entitled to make him our marquee signing. Or does that rule only apply north of the Murray?
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:
yourhero wrote:Post footy career stuff will probably be a factor - much like it was for Thurston recently.

Spot on. As for post-footy he's smart enough to coach and articulate enough to fill a media/commentary job.

If this marquee signing thing happens then surely we're entitled to make him our marquee signing. Or does that rule only apply north of the Murray?
that only applies for the dogs once greenburg starts his new position. maybe for roosters (SBW) and souths (GI)
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree it will be done to keep players in the game of Rugby League. Now Broncos want K. Hunt back, at present the can not match what he gets in AFL but to get him back into Rugby League they would fine a way
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Got to take in to consideration the effect of being under the thumb of News Ltd again if he went to a club such as Broncs, I recon they would get some perks - what they are, I do not know.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

the broncos haven't been able to hold onto players or sign any quality since that mining magnate died in the plane crash, ken talbot? a few years back. it was reported afterwards he pumped a lot of cash the players way for years. so not too many perks left at the broncos now
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

^^there could be some truth to that, but I'd say they're struggling since Bruno Cullen left the club.
The current administration must be crap as I believe they're still the major charity for every wealthy Queensland businessman and the FOG's Trust fund.

Perhaps they shit themselves when Storm got busted in 2010 and thought they'd better fly low for a few years to avoid scrutiny.
In their heyday they were 80% of the QLD origin team. Playing within the salary cap? Whatever!!