STORM vs Raiders Rd 8

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Raiders have done well against us previously because they play an attacking brand of footy. They spread the ball wide and had quality halves with quality wingers.

There is no doubt that the Storm asks all teams: if you want to beat us, go around us. They then play compressed and rusj up - forcing playnakers and wingers to complete the rushed plays. Raiders can do this - and with Campese regaining match fitness, this will be no easy match.

If Waqa and Fonua time their defensive runs right - we will go along way to shutting down their opportunites. Me thinks Slater and Cronk will be called upon to save more than a try or two.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

They pulled our pants down here last year and gave us a touch up in the trial game in Geelong.
Definite danger game.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This will be a close game. We had such a good record against Canberra 5-10 years ago but that seems like a long time ago now. For the last couple of years, the Storm have won playing at Canberra Stadium and the Raiders have won playing at AAMI Park. I have to say the last time we played them was nothing short of embarrassing to watch. I know it was during the five game slump and Cam and Billy were not playing but their outside backs totally creamed us and it was probably up there with the most uncompetitive and inept performance I've seen from the Storm.

Obviously it will be quite a different side for the Storm to the one that lined up that night, but hopefully we will be able to contain the Raiders halves and outside backs. I have to say David Furner isn't the terrible coach a number of people say he is.

I reckon this will be a high scoring game. My predicted score: Storm 30-Raiders 28.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Matt I agree with you on every point except for one...
mattstormy wrote:I have to say David Furner isn't the terrible coach a number of people say he is.
I have just moved from Canberra where I spent 8 years and had ticketed membership with the Raiders. Furner is inept as a coach. I had high hopes from him when he took over the reigns but Canberra have continued to disappoint year after year. His game plans are stupid, his selections idiotic and his recruiting/player retention just as bad.

His winning % as a coach is 40%. He persisted with Travis Waddell for what seemed like an eternity when it was painfully obvious that there were MAJOR problems in and around the Canberra ruck - an area they should have been dominating with a great forward pack. Buttriss was either overlooked or used sparingly.

Regardless of what the current senior players say, there is a culture problem there. For a team hidden away from the Sydney spotlight to still have so, so many off-field incidents is remarkable (and that's just their reported ones). Furner has done zilch to address that since assuming the top job. There has long been an ongoing issue between Davvid and a number of high profile players (and subsequently ex-players).

And finally, the blatant conflict of interest with his brother as the CEO will ensure David is never held to account for poor performance.

I wish the Raiders success but it will not happen under the Empire of Furner/s.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes he is.I wouldn`t want him in charge of the Thunderbolts
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Anthony milford has had his charge downgraded from a grade 3 to a grade 1 and is free to play this weekend..
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

This Saturday is one of those days where the stars align for the AFL supporter in me.
Storm vs Raiders at AAMI at 5.30pm and then Richmond (my team) vs Geelong across the road at 7.40pm.
it's just a footy fest.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:Matt I agree with you on every point except for one...
mattstormy wrote:I have to say David Furner isn't the terrible coach a number of people say he is.
I have just moved from Canberra where I spent 8 years and had ticketed membership with the Raiders. Furner is inept as a coach. I had high hopes from him when he took over the reigns but Canberra have continued to disappoint year after year. His game plans are stupid, his selections idiotic and his recruiting/player retention just as bad.

His winning % as a coach is 40%. He persisted with Travis Waddell for what seemed like an eternity when it was painfully obvious that there were MAJOR problems in and around the Canberra ruck - an area they should have been dominating with a great forward pack. Buttriss was either overlooked or used sparingly.

Regardless of what the current senior players say, there is a culture problem there. For a team hidden away from the Sydney spotlight to still have so, so many off-field incidents is remarkable (and that's just their reported ones). Furner has done zilch to address that since assuming the top job. There has long been an ongoing issue between Davvid and a number of high profile players (and subsequently ex-players).

And finally, the blatant conflict of interest with his brother as the CEO will ensure David is never held to account for poor performance.

I wish the Raiders success but it will not happen under the Empire of Furner/s.
Thanks for sharing mate.
I will never forget the Raiders fans as being the worst to our fans when we were found out for salary cap cheating.
I can never forgive them for some of the things I heard they did.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:Thanks for sharing mate.
I will never forget the Raiders fans as being the worst to our fans when we were found out for salary cap cheating.
I can never forgive them for some of the things I heard they did.
I was there the night of money waving and taunts from the crowd. Some of the filth they spewed from the stands was just disgraceful. I wore my Storm jersey with so much pride that night.

I can remember after sitting there for 79 minutes hearing all sorts of stuff yelled out about my team, my favourite players... but a minute (or so) before the full time siren and we had the game wrapped up, I stood up, simply yelled "Go Storm", clapped loudly and continued to clap as I did an obvious slow turn to the rest of the Gregan/Larkham Stand.

About four or five other Storm fans echoed the yell.

Most of the people that sat directly near me I knew (7 years in the same seat at the front of the elevated part of the GL Stand I got to know the regulars) were decent enough... They just wanted to support their team like they do every week. Like every club though, the Raiders have their fair share of douchebags wanting to perpetuate the Rugby League fan stereotype.

I guess this game being just a few weeks after the cap story broke and after yet another loss, it was easy for a relatively large number of Raiders fans to lay the boot in to a team (and fans) who were at rock bottom.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I can understand the raiders fans laying the boot into our team.Even at our lowest we were still better than the raiders.the raiders don`t wear green for nothing.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was at the game to guys. I drove from Sydney that night to watch then drove back home. Same thing as you are saying some disgusting fans but what was funny was this guy yelling at billy and saying the raider should break Billys neck etc..then after 10 mins he starting abusing Dugan haha....I turned around to him and said "Do you really thing Dugan will play better with you abusing him"
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

expect josh papalii to be a late inclusion as he left for Melbourne with the team n as he pulled up ok after his run on Wednesday..
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Brett Finch and Maurice Blair have remained in Melbourne for the Storm's clash against Canberra.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league ... 2ivs4.html
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

tugga wrote:This Saturday is one of those days where the stars align for the AFL supporter in me.
Storm vs Raiders at AAMI at 5.30pm and then Richmond (my team) vs Geelong across the road at 7.40pm.
it's just a footy fest.
I'm with you on that Tugga! Go Storm then Go my Mighty Tiges!! Can Not Wait ;D
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interesting to note Jordan McLean post a photo of himself Vave and Slade Griffin on the plane to Sydney...maybe that means Kenny will get another game