Have we been sold?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know this has been in the works for the couple of months but by this article at least it looks like the deal is almost done if it hasn't been already. Not sure what to make of the bolded part but i can't say i'm not a bit concerned with it unless it's only referring to the current News stooges that are still there.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/ ... investors/

NRL premiers Melbourne Storm will be sold to businessmen from New Zealand and England very soon.

A Melbourne Storm official has told Triple M NRL, "we’ve made it very clear that the business is for sale and when the right partner appears we’ll sell. We understand that negotiations with a potential buyer continue to be positive."

Triple M NRL understands that any potential buyer will look at a management review, with several high profile members of the current club management set to move on.

Triple M NRL also understands while the deal is not yet finalised, the official announcement should be made before the end of next week.

The club is still owned by News Limited but the media company has been negotiating with buyers to relinquish ownership.

On the field, Melbourne continued its undefeated start to the 2013 season with a gritty win over a gallant New Zealand Warriors on Anzac Day.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I would think it's whoever is on the clubs board.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good. The sooner the News loyal.members of the board are farked off the better!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2ijw3.html

"Storm staff have been assured their jobs are safe, Fairfax has been told. But Gauci was hired to find the club a new owner and will walk out - along with the directors - when the deal is done"

Going by this article Gauci and the directors will all go when the sale goes through. I cant say I wont be happy to see the back of the NL mob but I must admit to feeling a bit ambivalent about Gauci leaving. When he first got here I thought he was just another NL stooge, particularly under the circumstances. However I think he has done a pretty good job over the last three years, for the most part, anyway
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What? Why does Gauci go? That's bullshit. He helped pull the club out of the toilet.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

should keep gauci!!!!!!!!!!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

If the new owners want a smooth transition then they MUST KEEP RON GAUCI.he will keep the club running smoothly and that will leave the players only having to concentrate on doing what they do best.
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:I know this has been in the works for the couple of months but by this article at least it looks like the deal is almost done if it hasn't been already. Not sure what to make of the bolded part but i can't say i'm not a bit concerned with it unless it's only referring to the current News stooges that are still there.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/ ... investors/

NRL premiers Melbourne Storm will be sold to businessmen from New Zealand and England very soon.

A Melbourne Storm official has told Triple M NRL, "we’ve made it very clear that the business is for sale and when the right partner appears we’ll sell. We understand that negotiations with a potential buyer continue to be positive."

Triple M NRL understands that any potential buyer will look at a management review, with several high profile members of the current club management set to move on.

Triple M NRL also understands while the deal is not yet finalised, the official announcement should be made before the end of next week.

The club is still owned by News Limited but the media company has been negotiating with buyers to relinquish ownership.

On the field, Melbourne continued its undefeated start to the 2013 season with a gritty win over a gallant New Zealand Warriors on Anzac Day.
Can someone please clarify for me what "several high profile members of the current club management set to move on" actually means? Are we talking solely the B of D here, or does this include Frank Ponnissi et al.

It could all be media speculation and perhaps I'm reading way too much into this (let's hope that is the case), but why would you when looking at acquiring a very successful franchise, conduct a management review? Something does not add up.

Legitimate question: I know the NRL has wanted a second team in NZ, so do you think the acquisition of the Storm by London based Kiwis, a ploy to move the club to NZ in the short - medium term?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

estormboy wrote: Can someone please clarify for me what "several high profile members of the current club management set to move on" actually means? Are we talking solely the B of D here, or does this include Frank Ponnissi et al.
To tell you the truth FP was one of the first one's i thought of as well but given he has no affiliation with News and is only another employee of the Storm i don't think he'll be shunted anytime soon. The bloke is an impeccable operator who has played a huge part in out success so i don't think he'll be going anywhere. Well unless he decides to take up another position on his own accord.
estormboy wrote:Legitimate question: I know the NRL has wanted a second team in NZ, so do you think the acquisition of the Storm by London based Kiwis, a ploy to move the club to NZ in the short - medium term?
I'd be very very surprised if there wasn't some sort of stipulation from News and the NRL that the sale was dependent only if the Storm stayed in Melbourne for the long term. The NRL knows very well how vital a team in Melbourne is and News wouldn't agree to walk away from the game unless the Storm were looked after financially receiving X amount of dollars for X amount of years to ensure their viability. They also have a vested interest in having a team in the second most populace city in the country in regards to their various media outlets and would be much worse off financially should there not be one any more so i don't think that's any concern at all.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

As ICE said. No matter what the Sydney media, and other imbeciles, might say the NRL need a club in Melbourne.
Any sale deal would include a multi-million dollar fund to guarantee the new owners viability, similar to what Tinkler had to provide before he was allowed to acquire the Knights.
As for future expansion of the NRL I can see them going to Perth, and perhaps another SE QLD team, well before they introduce another NZ team.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surely News would not allow the club to be sold (given all the resources they've pumped in to it over 15 years) without some clause that its to stay in Melbourne. And the ARLC seem more supportive of Storm than the old NRL hierarchy was.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:As ICE said. No matter what the Sydney media, and other imbeciles, might say the NRL need a club in Melbourne.
Any sale deal would include a multi-million dollar fund to guarantee the new owners viability, similar to what Tinkler had to provide before he was allowed to acquire the Knights.
As for future expansion of the NRL I can see them going to Perth, and perhaps another SE QLD team, well before they introduce another NZ team.
That too. Queensland 4 with so many bids (Bombers, Central Qld, Brothers) and Perth (2 bids- one headed by the WARL and the other by Sage and Elias) would have to be next. And it will be reviewed at the end of next year IIRC.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On phone so can't post but there's a story in the Australian this morning. Apparently the current boss of Harlequinnes RU is the new CEO once sale is finalized.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Interview with our new (upcoming) CEO

AFL not a rival: new Storm man

Steve Mascord
Published: May 10, 2013 - 3:00AM

Melbourne Storm's chief executive in waiting Mark Evans says rugby league does not have to fight with the AFL in Victoria and instead all sport should be trying to attract people away from other leisure pursuits.

In his first interview since being selected by the club's potential new owners to take over from chief executive Ron Gauci, the high-profile English rugby union administrator has outlined how he became involved, what stage takeover talks had reached and his initial impressions of the Australian sports scene.

Asked if he was ready to roll up his sleeves and battle AFL, Evans said: "No, I don't think so. I think it's about doing a good job yourself as a sport and competition. If you do that, nine times out of 10 people will come and watch.

"When I was in Australia recently, I noticed some cultural differences. In the UK, sport sees itself as a competitor with other leisure activities, like going to the cinema or whatever.

"In most markets, rugby league and rugby union are not really competitors. Australia might be a bit different in that regard.

"Melbourne is different in that there are nine AFL clubs, rugby league, rugby union and two soccer clubs. But you just have to do your own job well and if you do that hopefully enough people will do what you want them to."

Evans declined to comment on the identity of the London-based consortium that approached him to run the Storm but said he had initially conducted an informal, in-person assessment of the NRL premiers for the group before agreeing to be CEO.

He added the sale of the club remained imminent - although his return to London last week was a sign that it would not be a matter of days away.

On the field, coach Craig Bellamy is convinced defensive frailties exposed by Canberra last week have been resolved for Sunday's trip to Penrith. "We have to make sure we make teams work hard to score tries and not give them a saloon passage through," Bellamy said on Thursday.

"We individualised what we thought we needed to individualise. Some of that came from the rest of the team, some of it came one-on-one.

"We're certainly not going to over-react and start jumping at shadows."

New signing Dayne Weston was not named in the side to play his former club Penrith.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... 2jans.html