Widdop signs with Dragons.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wow
James Hooper ‏@jimmyhooper 3m
The Dragons are about to announce the prize signature of Melbourne five-eighth Gareth Widdop on a four-year deal. Details on Tele web #NRL
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

ST GEORGE Illawarra are poised to announce the signing of English international Garreth Widdop on a four-year $2.2 million deal for next season.

Just 24 hours after landing the signature of Canberra Raider Joel Thompson, the Daily Telegraph can reveal Widdop will walk away from premiers Melbourne at the end of the season.

The move is a master stroke from Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, who earlier this week allowed premiership-winning five-eighth Jamie Soward to sign a four-year deal with Penrith without putting up a fight.

Premiers Melbourne were desperate to retain English international Widdop but the Dragons have blown them out of the water with a deal believed to be worth $550,000-a-season.

The Dragons are expected to make the announcement about Widdop this afternoon.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the Dragons are also in on-going negotiations with sacked Canberra Raiders star Josh Dugan with a view to having him playing in the Red V this season.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6624329490
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Dragons articlehttp://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/72816
The St George Illawarra Dragons have today announced that England International Gareth Widdop has agreed to a four-year contract that will see him join the Club from next season until at least the end of the 2017 season.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Had a feeling he wouldn't stay...we can't have them all our own way...we have been lucky to keep cooper cam billy and Craig...we still have matt mcghan and benny Hampton also finchy will proberly stay next yr....Kurt Mann is pretty good...it's not the end of the world
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bugger
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm shocked but tbh I'm actually happy for Gaz. If he thinks this is better for his career and family then good luck to him.
He's about to become the chief play maker of a club that badly needs one. For his sake I hope he does well.

For us it just means another chance for one of our youngsters to shine. Hampton or Mann will be my two top choices to fill the role atm. But I wonder if Craig searches elsewhere...to England maybe..

Also really happy we didn't pay $500k + for him :)
Last edited by blazza18 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Damn... All the best to Gaz, he deserves to do the best thing for him and his family and I wish him all the success in the world. Hopefully we see him shine for England at the end of the year after securing another Premiership ring.

Pretty big shock to be honest. I thought Gaz would have been happy with his role and what he contributes. I guess you can't turn away that kind of coin though.

I am relieved however that we as a club did not/were not able to compete with the ridiculous money apparently being offered by St George. 550K per season!???? I guess they have to offer big $ to attract talent these days.

I guess the question now is, seeing as both Gaz and Finch are not long term solutions, do we now play the best option each week and not just automatically select Gaz as he was our long term 5/8 option and had a lot of investment in him?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd like to see Ben Hampton get the chance to step up and fill the role....also I think we will get to see gaz step it up during origin to see how well he really can play with out cam billy and coops

Also matty mcghan is waiting in the wings
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

good on him, if they want him then make them pay!

hope gaz doesnt suffer from the storm curse and gives direction to a hopeless dragons outfit. will be interesting to see how he plays without the storm spine
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm surprised he moved on but for $550k a season (if that's true) you can't blame him. I think it's overs, not massive overs but overs all the same. I'm sure we offered him some decent coin but obviously nothing like that so at least we have the money next season to use elsewhere whether it be strengthening other positions or player retention. Oh well time to find the next star to roll off the Storm/Bellamy production line ;)
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good luck to him.

Not worried in the slightest, I have no doubt whatsoever that Matt McGahan will be a better 6 then Widdop
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

At least it is all done and dusted - we can now all move on - I am sure there will be another purple star waiting in the wings GO STORM. Good luck Gareth
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: I guess the question now is, seeing as both Gaz and Finch are not long term solutions, do we now play the best option each week and not just automatically select Gaz as he was our long term 5/8 option and had a lot of investment in him?
No... we're trying to win a comp, and you pick the best player in your squad for that game. Why sacrifice this year in any way?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

He could've just sold his premiership ring each year to make up the shortfall of what Storm offered.
Although he is improving with every game it is the players around him who make him look good. He certainly has some work to do to 'go it alone'.
Good luck Gareth, enjoy your two NRL premiership rings (2012 & 2013). No more of them where you're going
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Winning the comp is paramount and we should only be worried about this season and not next.