Widdop signs with Dragons.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Out of nowhere that one! One minute he's hellbent on joining Brisbane then the Dragons swoop.

No bitterness here. He came from the VRL as a fullback who was groomed to play five-eighth. He's leaving as a Toyota Cup and NRL Premiership winner and an England representative. I still believe he will be just as good as Darren Lockyer in a few years and getting out of Smith and Cronk's shadow could be really good for him. As much as I don't like Soward he's certainly no slouch so Gaz will have big shoes to fill especially with Nathan Fien retiring at the end of the year.

Again, he's a premiership winner. Whoever partners him in the halves in 2014 is going to be looking to him to lead. HE'll have a chance to be his own man there without losing the edge and mental toughness he got out of several years in the Storm system. Let's hope he leaves a dual premiership winner.

Good luck, G-Wizz.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:Now Fairfax are reporting it's over $600k a season :shock2:
Nowhere near as ridiculous as the Warriors offering Carney 900K a season!

:lol: :lol:
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wondering if they have been talking for a while as Soward said he left as they would not commit to a new deal, i reckon they had it all planned a while ago. Good luck to him anyway, be interesting how he goes with more pressure and less decent support around him playmaker wise
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Dragons paid overs for him, but when you want someone to leave a club and come to yours, that's what you have to do.
I'm disappointed Gas is leaving. But when you have Cam, Billy and Coops, this is the reality of what will eventually happen.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disappointed that Gaz is leaving. He is the first of the 2009 Under 20s crop who has cemented himself in first grade to leave. I don't hold any grudges towards Gaz and wish him all the best. I would have loved him to stay but glad we didn't pay $550 or 600k to keep him. This wont affect the Storm there are good players that announce they are leaving every year. I think Craig will look at McGahan or Hampton to fill the void and agree with Sallymay that Finch will probably stay on next year in a playing capacity just in case Matt and Ben aren't ready for first grade. We can use the money we had earmarked for Gaz on retention of other players or perhaps we could sign a semi-big name forward from another club.
stormdolls
Squall
Squall

Do not worry about the loss people,another player will be found to replace him as Bellamy has done in the past. :fla_england:
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Woody wrote:Sad to see Gaz go but with a young family who could blame him for not knocking back that sort of coin, ( although of all the clubs to go to did it really have to be that bunch of dead____s?) Anyway, I hope he does well and I have no doubt we have someone waiting in the wings who will step up to the plate :)
Could have been worse. Could have gone to the Bullfilth. My hatred of Saints on account of their whining supporters and Jamie Soward and Jason Nightingale is subsiding.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

:-X My birthplace alone makes me want to vomit at any player of ours defecting to the despicable Red V :pukeleft:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I can understand Gareth taking such a lucrative offer, and I can imagine how hard it must be to turn those dollars down when a footballers career is a relatively short one.

My thoughts on Widdop though are that with probably 2 more seasons alongside Coops and the rest of the Storm squad under the watchful eye of Bellamy, all whilst flying under the radar in Melbourne, he could've become one the games great 5/8's.
However, he's not there yet. His running game has improved considerably, but he has a lot to learn before he's the main playmaker in attack. His defence is still a bit shakey still also, and his kicking game is way off the mark.
To be honest I reckon Soward offers more to the Dragons than Widdop does. They need a decent coach, not a 5/8. Soward would kick arse at Storm, so he's not the Dragons problem and Gareth's not their solution.
I would not be surprised if the Dragons tried to get rid of Widdop before his 4th year when they realize he's not the savior they paid for.
But hopefully he proves me wrong, except when he faces us or the Kangaroos.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Dragons need a decent halfback more than anything, they got Widdop to replace Soward at five-eighth but they can't keep having makeshift halfbacks.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Drinkwater is highly regarded. He'll be their future half imo.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:Drinkwater is highly regarded. He'll be their future half imo.
I don't think it's a good idea for Dragons to drink water :lol: .
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

Go Storm wrote:I can understand Gareth taking such a lucrative offer, and I can imagine how hard it must be to turn those dollars down when a footballers career is a relatively short one.

My thoughts on Widdop though are that with probably 2 more seasons alongside Coops and the rest of the Storm squad under the watchful eye of Bellamy, all whilst flying under the radar in Melbourne, he could've become one the games great 5/8's.
However, he's not there yet. His running game has improved considerably, but he has a lot to learn before he's the main playmaker in attack. His defence is still a bit shakey still also, and his kicking game is way off the mark.
+1

Did anyone read the article on foxsports http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... XIITUpXujg
where Widdop is quoted as saying:

"Widdop said it would be hard to leave Melbourne, the club he joined as a 16-year-old. "It's a great club and a great team and it's going to be very hard to leave and I'm sure they're devastated that it's come to this but it's the opportunity and the reward financially of playing up there is going to help," he said".

Well I'm sure the club, although wishing to keep Widdop on the roster, are not actually devastated by him leaving. The club has handled much crises than the 5/8 leaving. Hopefully it's a misquote, a bit like his Dad's the other week, I would certainly like to think so.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

U guys see the rumour storm are in talks with Trent hogkinson from the doggies
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hmmm I hope not. I'm fine with giving one of our young guys a shot and would rather not spend money on halves atm.