Storm 'D'

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

What do people think of this?
My opinion is that the 'Storm D' that they do similar to basketball's 'dee-fence' is cringeworthy and embarrassing.
I tweeted the club and pleaded with them to abandon it but they reckon that it was an initiative by the players to get more crowd support when the ball was in our half. Rubbish! The players wouldn't give a stuff, nor would they hear anything with a 120kg front rower steaming towards them.
USA basketball crap!
Thoughts?
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

When they bought it in last year I hated it and I thought it was distracting for fans with the announcer yelling Storm D over the PA system. This year I don't think fans really take any notice of it. It won't take off like in America where they seem to be obsessed with 'dee-fence' over attack. I don't know whether most of the players feel more motivated to defend their line more than if there was no Storm D but apparantely, I recall Cam saying in an interview last year that he liked it and that he thinks it helps the team defend well.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's annoying I hate it..hated it when it came out hate it now....but if the players want it the so be it
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:It's annoying I hate it..hated it when it came out hate it now....but if the players want it the so be it
That's the thing though sallymay...I don't believe the club when it says the players wanted it. The players would not know it is happening with a 120kg front rower running full steam at them. It's a marketing gimmick to appeal to a younger audience. I just wish the club would admit it instead of spinning it. But that's just my opinion.
(rant over)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Actually if you watch the interview with Kenny after the game he said that the he could hear the crowd so maybe they do need it
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:Actually if you watch the interview with Kenny after the game he said that the he could hear the crowd so maybe they do need it
yes but it's in their best interests to praise the crowd no matter what. And it was a great crowd.
I'm not usually so cynical. Anyway, it's not life or death.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hate it, it's not like we don't cheer our boys on at all times anyway, it is annoying and I'm starting to cringe on the first tackle inside our 20.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Storm D is a useless bit of ground media hype C R A P ! And I refuse to believe that any of the players find it helpful ::)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bourbon Rat wrote:Storm D is a useless bit of ground media hype C R A P ! And I refuse to believe that any of the players find it helpful ::)
Where's the 'like' button when I need it?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mattpoet wrote:I hate it, it's not like we don't cheer our boys on at all times anyway, it is annoying and I'm starting to cringe on the first tackle inside our 20.

Spot on!! We've always been a very vocal crowd in Melbourne and don't need this shite to aid us in supporting our team.

I think it's an NRL initiative as I've heard of it mentioned when watching other games. Not certain about that though.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don`t need any encouragement from "D" to cheer for my CHAMPION TEAM.It comes easily to me
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not a big fan of it either, but reality is, ground announcing gimmick or wherever it came from, it does generate a burst of atmosphere, likely by new comers who may react to the requirement to cheer/clap or whatever.
If it helps generate some atmosphere and enjoyment for newcomers or the like and helps bring them back, then I don't see the harm. I would just like the screen flash to be quicker as it blocks a tackle out of vision if up the other end of the ground.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While not a big fan of Storm D...

What's up with the absolutely fkn stiffs in the Eastern Stand S76

Fkn hell..I thought that I was in a library on Monday night.

Get real peeps...get passionate or stay home.

I'd rather 11k vocal fans than a crowd with 8k stiffs.

If you are a non shouter/barracker/loud supporter....then re-think your philosophy.

Just my opinion of course....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bourbon Rat wrote:Storm D is a useless bit of ground media hype C R A P ! And I refuse to believe that any of the players find it helpful ::)
Worse than useless; it's a positive liability to the team.

Unlike basketball which defends on basic zone or one-on-one formats and reactivity, League (especially Melbourne) work on structured defences usually directed by the playmekers and fullback. For those who don't normally sit behind the posts, do it one match and you will get a whole new understanding of how much Billy controls the defence - he is forever calling instructions and conducting the up-and- in or the slide. Make enough noise and his shouted instructions are for naught.

Traditionally League coaches want their fans to yell, chant and scream on offense - attacking options are far more rehersed and require much less verbal communication from the offensive team. The noise inhibits the defence from calling instructions and warnings.

We should be doing the cowbell and Melbourne chants wheen we have the ball, not giving opposition attacks a leg up.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'd love to see a day when the whole stadium is full of noise for 80mins like at Leeds during the WCC. The noise just got louder when Leeds had the ball or were defending their line.
The boys in Aisle 30 (or thereabouts, I usually sit on the other side of the posts) do an awesome job each week with their drums and chants!!

I know it's been suggested before, but how awesome would it be to create a simple chant, unique to Storm, that eventually the entire crowd will sing. And can be recognized when sung by smaller groupings at interstate games.
Maybe the PA guy could get involved with such a chant instead of just shouting out "storm D everyone"