Storm five-eighth Gareth Widdop shows he's at his peak

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6609533640

IF MELBOURNE Storm five-eighth Gareth Widdop had planned it as an audition for a club crying out for a playmaker, it was a masterstroke.

While Billy Slater predictably took the headlines as he continued what seems a career-long carve up of the Broncos, Widdop - the ideal foil to Melbourne's big three - was almost as impressive.

Widdop is one name that has been bandied around as a possible replacement for Corey Norman once he departs to Parramatta next season.

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin has signalled a mission to recruit a top class playmaker and Widdop, Cronulla's Todd Carney and Canterbury pivot Josh Reynolds represent the cream of the off contract match winners.

Broncos find flair in Storm surge

The Storm and England representative's preference is to stay in Melbourne. And why wouldn't you when your talents are only beginning to blossom under re-signed coach Craig Bellamy and alongside brilliant teammates Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater?

But given they also chew up a significant chunk of the salary cap Widdop may also be tempted to check his value on the market.

Brilliant Billy slays Broncos again

The No.6 is steering clear of personal involvement in negotiations on a new deal. That process has begun but his agent has so far only dealt with Melbourne.

"I'm happy with how (the contract negotiation) is going. It's great playing for the Melbourne Storm with a great set of players and coaching staff around me," Widdop said after playing a lead role in his side's six-point win against the Broncos on Friday night.

Still, if any rival has a chance to lure the 23-year-old away from the Storm it would be Brisbane.

MATCH CENTRE: Broncos v Storm

The Broncos have room in the salary cap to sign the Halifax born, Melbourne raised ball player who could ask for more than $400,000 a season on the open market.

An ace could be his father Gary, a Broncos fan who once planned a move to Queensland's Sunshine Coast before the family eventually settled in Victoria.

Widdop was a premiership player last season and has become as important to the Storm as any of its representative players.

He had a hand in Melbourne's first two tries against the Broncos and is forming a dangerous combination with backrower Ryan Hoffman.

"He's come a long way," halfback Cooper Cronk said of Widdop.

"This team plays to certain structures but we also incorporate individual strengths.

"Gareth's individual strength is his running game but he's added a passing game on the left-hand edge."

"He's a good foil for the combinations."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I truly believe he won't be going anywhere, he will turn out to be another great Storm club man GO STORM
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

mystormboys wrote:I truly believe he won't be going anywhere, he will turn out to be another great Storm club man GO STORM
I certainly hope so for both his and Storm's sake, moreso his.
Another few years under Craig and alongside other greatness will see him become one of the best playmakers ever, this will also make him a god-like character in England.
Away from Storm however, I can see him fading away as another could've been. Still good, but not great.
As for Storm. Craig's ability to create something out of nothing would have us fielding a champion no6 in no time at all. The likes of Finch and Blair would be likely short term solutions. I'm sure he'd make stars out of the likes of Hampton eventually too.
But it'd definately be easier and better if Gareth agreed to stay, and then he'd be the main man post Big3
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:I certainly hope so for both his and Storm's sake, moreso his.
Another few years under Craig and alongside other greatness will see him become one of the best playmakers ever, this will also make him a god-like character in England.
Away from Storm however, I can see him fading away as another could've been. Still good, but not great.
As for Storm. Craig's ability to create something out of nothing would have us fielding a champion no6 in no time at all. The likes of Finch and Blair would be likely short term solutions. I'm sure he'd make stars out of the likes of Hampton eventually too.
But it'd definately be easier and better if Gareth agreed to stay, and then he'd be the main man post Big3
You make a great point here. I don't think Gaz is ready to be a teams number 1 option. His role at the Storm atm is perfect and should continue to grow in the coming years.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

it sounds like its a media beat up, and widdop seems to love where he is at and why wouldn't he

my thoughts - for his career i think he should sign a 2 year deal, he will have finished developing after that and should look for his big $$ after that. griffen hasnt developed any of the promising kids the broncos have had over the last few years.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hmm ? personal observation -
Number of 'recent posts' from 'Big G' ?
deafening :?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here we go again. Another year, another big name Melbourne player off-contract and the source of speculation as to where he will end up. It would not surprise me in the least if he were to end up at Brisbane given he wanted to play for them before he got relocated to Melbourne. I wouldn't begrudge him if he left. Under 20s premiership and NRL premiership winner who became an England rep while at Storm.

Is he off contract at the end of this year or next? Thought it was next year.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don`t think the donkeys have the pulling power they once had. Why would GW leave Craig Bellamy to be coached by a mediocre Griffen. His promising career would go downhill(like it does for most players that leave Storm) cos he wouldn`t have the players around him with the same work ethic as STORM do.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the big thing is money.

They'll be able to offer him possibly double the amount we offer him.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:I think the big thing is money.

for this contract only, then after the new teams poor form, average coaching the next contract will start dropping in value like most others who leave this club
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

storming wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I think the big thing is money.

for this contract only, then after the new teams poor form, average coaching the next contract will start dropping in value like most others who leave this club
Exactly. And then when Coops, Smith and Slater retire he'll be our no1 strike weapon, possibly captain, and on BIG money. Not to mention a couple more premierships and WCC's, and the possibility of steering England to a win one day.
He seems smart enough to see beyond the short-term gain
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

you's are forgetting that cam smith is off contract at the end of next year n most likely will retire so we wont be under cap pressure to sign him on a long term deal.. a 1.2m 3 yr deal would be easy to match 2014 - 250k, 2015 - 475k, 2016 - 475k.. guessing that broncos offer him 400k 3yr deal thats how we could match it.. its just media being media.. seen yesterday that dragons want sam williams from raiders n the artical said raiders under cap pressure to keep williams when they just sacked dugan who was on 650k a year there gotta be kidding themselves
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's a headline on the cover of the new RLW that screams : Desperate Broncos- Brisbane's bid for Gareth Widdop comes up empty. Will buy a copy on the way to the barbers and read while I'm waiting.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently a three year deal is "imminent" according to the rlw article.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That was a quick trip to the barber!