Round 4 - Brisbane vs Melbourne Fri 29/03 7:05pm at Suncorp

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Should be a great match, I'm tipping the Storm by a pretty big margin after the Broncos couldn't even make one line break against the Roosters.

Here's how the team should line up:

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Will Chambers
4. Junior Sa'u
5. Mahe Founa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Tohu Harris
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Jason Ryles
15. Lagi Setu
16. Slade Griffin
17. Kevin Proctor (due to return from injury)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Always a big game this one and I expect us to win. BUT I think Brisbane will be better than last week, specially if Hodges plays.

Only concern from last week for me is the Sa'u and Fonua pairing. Both make terrible reads in defense and I'm sure Brisbane will target them every chance they get.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Only concern from last week for me is the Sa'u and Fonua pairing. Both make terrible reads in defense and I'm sure Brisbane will target them every chance they get.
Yeah, that is a concern. Perrett's try last week after the karate kid penalty happened due to Fonua's poor read in defence and getting sucked in field.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would be way more concerned with Fonua's defence then Junior's. Junior has some lapses from time to time but he's a solid defender and demonstrated that on Thursday night when he showed the awareness and positioning to shut down a few plays targeted at our edges.

Fonua on the other hand is all over the place on defence, and his defensive reads and awareness are terrible. I've always been a critic of his defence since his time in the under 20's and the more teams decide to target his edge, the more he'll be exposed.

Hopefully for his sake he can use the next few weeks to make some significant improvement in his defensive game otherwise when Waqa and O'Neill get back he may find himself down the pecking order.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

His defensive reads aren't great but he is a 20 year old kid and to be honest Matt Duffies reads aren't much better. i was once really critical of a bloke who played for us a while ago...he was playing on the wing and newcastle tore through us and he let in 2-3 tries....we only lost by 6 pts! that player was Steven Bell. A season later he was one of the best centres in the game not onl in defense but also attack.
Fanua's career must be under 10 FG games right now and players aren't born with the ability to defend well. I reckon he needs a few more games under his belt and he will be sweet. He reminds me a bit of marcus bai with his runs and as he packs on some more size I reckon he will be invaluable out wide. IMO I think our best line up is

1. Slater
2. Waqa
3. Chambers
4. O'niel
5. Fanua.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I think Fonua is doing an ok job. But Sa'u is my worry. He was on the back foot and really looked lost most times the ball went down his side.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Reckon Vave might come back in before Proctor. Thought he was good in the first two games before his weeks rest.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought Sau was injured.

Storm by at least 20. Broncos a shadow of their former selves. No wonder the Pearl won't STFU!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bootsie16 wrote:Reckon Vave might come back in before Proctor. Thought he was good in the first two games before his weeks rest.
Bootsie..can you post more often ???

Your Avatar gives me goosebumps....sensational :-D :twisted:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed, Vave will slot back in. If Proctor is fit enough to jump straight back in to the first grade line up, Slade will most likely drop out... Which is a shame because in limited game time Slade's runs have been full of intent, he has tackled his backside off and he obviously is taking every opportunity he gets with both hands.

I have been more impressed with Slade than I have Setu thus far.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Love Vave. I'd have him ahead of Ryles if I were doing my team.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Love Vave. I'd have him ahead of Ryles if I were doing my team.
Hmmmm. Hard call IMO.

Ryles was brilliant on Thursday. Made good metres. He just needs to get rid of those brains snaps that made so many St. George-Illawarra fans hate him.

Look, it's hard to split. If you want an experienced head go with Ryles but if you want youth then go with Vave. He'll be in the team full time next year when Ryles retires depending on who else comes through.

Also, does anybody know how long Proctor is signed for. Sadly, I see him being given permission to negotiate with other clubs in future if Harris keeps up his form!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:Agreed, Vave will slot back in. If Proctor is fit enough to jump straight back in to the first grade line up, Slade will most likely drop out... Which is a shame because in limited game time Slade's runs have been full of intent, he has tackled his backside off and he obviously is taking every opportunity he gets with both hands.

I have been more impressed with Slade than I have Setu thus far.

Not sure if you know but Proctor played for the Sharks in the NSW Cup competition on the weekend.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Proctor is signed until the end of next year. He's keen to stay and like Hoffman, the guy bleeds purple. He should be around for a long time. Hoffman also comes off contract next year and I wouldn't be suprised if he retires, therefore allowing us to have a starting backrow of Proctor and Harris.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I spoke to Proctor on Thursday night at the game. He's fully fit and ready to go. He's hoping to get a game this week. Definately a tough squad to crack into.

As for Hoffy retiring. How old is he? He looks like he could go a few more seasons the way he's playing.