NSW Cup/QLD Cup 2013

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Auva'a, Tonumaipea, Vave and Moors named in Sharks NSW Cup Grand Final team. The match is live on Fox Sports as well as I assume on Nine in Sydney and Brisbane.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep on Nine as well. Will be good to watch a few Storm boys on GF day.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wasn't home last Sunday so wasn't able to watch the livestream of the Qld Cup GF. I recorded the match on Fox during the week and just watched it. Here are my thoughts on the Storm (2013 and 2014) players:

Mitch Garbutt: Was absolutely sensational. Made over twenty hit ups and on a number of occasions made a dent in the line. He also scored the try that leveled the scores with about 11 minutes left. He took the ball from ten metres out and dragged two Cutters over the line with him. Unfortunately made what seemed like his only mistake of the day just after that. His first stint on the field was over 30 minutes.

Tim Glasby: Was very good also made a lot of good runs. More often than not seems to beat the first tackle. Made a crucial break midway through the second half, gaining 50 metres for the Tigers. Pretty much rock solid in defence.

Junior Sa'u (I know he wont add to his 4 Storm games): Made a number of good runs. Scored two tries. One of which he carried ex-Raider David Milne for ten metres like he was giving him a piggy back.

Cody Walker: Had some good touch on his kicks, threw a couple of good cut out passes. Goalkicking was very good. At one stage in the first half the Cutters had an attacking scrum and it looked like Michael Morgan would get on his outside, but he grabbed Morgan by the collar and ragdolled him over the sideline. I thought Walker could have been more involved in attack.

Ben Hampton: Fielded Mackay's kicks quite well, particularly in the second half. Made a couple of good runs and threw one good cut out pass but on the whole was relatively quiet.

Kenny Bromwich: Solid in defence, didn't seem to make much impact in attack.

Mahe Fonua: Made some good runs with the ball, still struggles under the high ball. Dropped a bomb in defence and in attack.

I hope Garbutt and Glasby get more time in the purple jersey next year. Surely they must jump above Noz (as good a servant as he has been for the club).

There was a bit of a Storm connection to the Mackay win. Our former SG Ball coach Kim Williams is their coach and ex-Under 20s prop Karl Davies made quite an impact when he came off the bench for the Cutters.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So the NSW Cup today will feature four of our boys for Cronulla - Auva'a, Moors, Tonumaipeia and Vave and will also feature 2014 signing Travis Robinson on the wing for Windsor. Good luck to all concerned but, mostly, go Storm/Sharks.
stormingaway
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Mattpoet wrote:So the NSW Cup today will feature four of our boys for Cronulla - Auva'a, Moors, Tonumaipeia and Vave and will also feature 2014 signing Travis Robinson on the wing for Windsor. Good luck to all concerned but, mostly, go Storm/Sharks.
Yeah pity none of those guys are actually playing for the storm next year
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Moors is contracted, I haven't heard anything about the status of Tonumaipeia
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Where is Auva'a going? This is the first time I've seen him play this year but it's looking like we may have dropped the ball letting him go, especially given our depth issues in the centres next year
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

We'll deeply regret letting go of Auva'a if he is indeed not being offered a new contract and is departing us at the end of the season. Surely if he is leaving it's a personal choice, rather than the club not demanding his services.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep. You do have to question some of the decisions the club is making. It's ok though cause we have one dimensional players in Juzzy and Duffie.

Moors again today showing why he couldn't get a spot in the first grade team. He's a threatening edge ball runner with a good offload. We didn't need that at all.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

2 tries and very solid in defence, hopefully changes some opinions then if he hasnt left yet.

Great performances from all 4 Storm players
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Best game I have seen this year from Kirisome. Great involvement in attack, two tries and how about his tackle on Travis Robinson?

Moors again was magnificent. Blazza like you when we needed some size in the NRL forward pack who could make a dent in the opposition I can't understand why Moors, Vave, Garbutt and Glasby did not play more.

Young Tonumaipea always impresses me with his runs from dummy half and looked good under the bomb. I would hope he was staying with the Storm too but haven't heard anything about him re-signing.

Vave did a lot of defending in his first stint when the Wolves had most of the ball. Made some good runs in his second stint.

Robinson didn't do a lot for the Wolves, is very quick though.

Congratulations to the Sharks on a well deserved win. Sharks have been the best team all year. I would like to make mention of guys like Finchy, Slade Griffin and Dayne Weston who were instrumental in getting the Sharks into this position.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tonumaipea is staying.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well deserved win there boys.

Did they give a man of the match award?
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tonumaipea is staying but a contract should've been placed in front of Auva'a soon as he got into the sheds.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's good news re: Young staying.