Ron Gauci

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I wish that Ron Gauci or Frank Ponissi would come out and tell us we have nothing to worry about with the doping scandal. I am 100% confident that the Storm`s sports medical department are clean.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's a businessman with no background in sports admin before taking over in 2010.

Reminds me of another bloke called David Smith who spoke very, very well today at the press conference. I'll expect Ron to not to hit the panic button to join in the chorus of clubs distancing themselves from Dank and singing the praises of the new integrity commission.

I reckon he makes a statement at the trial in Geelong tomorrow. Still, if you are that concerned maybe an email to the club?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I'd like to know. But I'm not too concerned just yet.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Only the AFL/NRL clubs that this Drake guy had anything to do with have made a comment. He never was at the Storm, so they have no reason to comment. The new story announced today has nothing to do with the first story. All the different code's leaders have made a comment, but can not stay to much because all has not been made public. They have most likely told clubs not to comment.
Last edited by glennb on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

that sounds feasable glennb.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

After the events of 2010, the club knows that they can not afford another fiasco. They are not dumb enough to drag the supporters, sponsors etc through another mess. That is why I have no worries about this latest debacle.

Besides, I look at it this way.

It's one thing to cheat salary cap, but it's taken to a whole new level when performancing enhancing drugs are involved. We only had to face the sanctions of the NRL, which at the time seemed very harsh, however anyone found guilty as a result of this latest issue will not only face the consequences from they're respective sporting bodies, but they will also have to deal with likely sanctions from ASADA and or WADA and potential criminal charges.

Our situation is pretty insignificant compared to
The possible punishment that may stem from this. We aren't stupid enough to run the gauntlet again.

And on a side note if any NRL club is implicated I wouldnt mind sticking it to their fans who have given us grief for the events of 2010 :p. Besides, money doesn't help you win a game on the field but performancing enhancing drugs do.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote:After the events of 2010, the club knows that they can not afford another fiasco. They are not dumb enough to drag the supporters, sponsors etc through another mess. That is why I have no worries about this latest debacle.

It's one thing to cheat salary cap, but it's taken to a whole new level when performancing enhancing drugs are involved. We only had to face the sanctions of the NRL, which at the time seemed very harsh, however anyone found guilty as a result of this latest issue will not only face the consequences from they're respective sporting bodies, but they will also have to deal with likely sanctions from ASADA and or WADA and potential criminal charges.

The possible punishment that may stem from this. We aren't stupid enough to run the gauntlet again.

And on a side note if any NRL club is implicated I wouldnt mind sticking it to their fans who have given us grief for the events of 2010 :p. Besides, money doesn't help you win a game on the field but performancing enhancing drugs do.
This.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

LESStar58 wrote:
Freshy wrote:After the events of 2010, the club knows that they can not afford another fiasco. They are not dumb enough to drag the supporters, sponsors etc through another mess. That is why I have no worries about this latest debacle.

This.
x2
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know there's been a lot of speculation regarding Manly over at LU and the threads on the subject are being deleted hand over fist.... but the talk about 2008 is still persistent. It's the biggest elephant in the room in rugby league as a result of all this.

Still, for the sake of the Manly fans I hope nothing untoward happened when they flogged us. The players I could give less than a shit about and I'd be turning up at AAMI PArk with a giant syringe to wave at them but I wouldn't wish on fans of any other club what happened to us in 2010.

The other thing that's pissing me off about this whole thing is that an AFL club is the catalyst for all of this yet the spin machine that is the AFL media are very quick to say "it's a bigger problem for the NRL"....
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A development today...

Gold Coast Titans HQ was raided by federal police and vials of urine were found concealed (I think I heard in the toilets).
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They were hidden in the plumbing in the toilets of skilled park.

And I admit, the more time that passes without a statement from the club, the more I worry.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just got an email:

Melbourn e Storm News
Melbourne Storm has today re-confirmed its total compliance and open willingness to fully cooperate with all governing bodies associated with rugby league and sport in general.
This includes the various mandatory investigations by the National Rugby League, Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA), the Australian Crime Commission and the Federal Government into doping and integrity issues in sport.

“The events of the past couple of days are extremely concerning and very serious matters for everyone in sport in this country, therefore we welcome the investigation,” said Melbourne Storm CEO Ron Gauci.
“Everyone at Melbourne Storm will continue to be fully transparent, cooperative and compliant with all investigations and lines of enquiry from the relevant bodies.

“We are confident all our strength and conditioning, medical staff and all football processes and procedures are in accordance with all regulatory requirements, due diligence and ongoing best practices are applied across the board.”
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, I got that too.

Still it's a pretty run of the mill statement. Hopefully it doesn't snowball but I can't see Bellamy or Corvo tolerating something that might be "borderline" and while Corvo is the strength and conditioning coach, and quite well accredited, we don't know what sort of outside resources they use.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/coachp ... Corvo/3886#
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I suppose the thing that makes me feel better there is the associations with police and education
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Indeed.