STORM VS RAIDERS TRIAL MATCH

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hardly recognised our side.I am pleased that a few of our fringe players get a feel for nrl footy.now they know what they will come up against in a real game.I feel practice matches are too work out player shortcomings.I don`t care if we lose all trial matches as I think other teams build themselves up to play Storm.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

O'Neill's defence wasn't too crash hot in the All Stars game. He was caught out of position a couple of times. Smithy was his usual solid self.

We may need a few early rounds to blow the cobwebs off.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

smithy also got a broken nose aswell
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Will he be right to go to UK?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy wrote:Will he be right to go to UK?
Stormy, Storm's twitter said:
Word through that @camsmith9 is ok folks, broken nose but won’t affect his flight or trip to #WCC. It’ll improve his rugged good looks ;-)
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I went to the match and took quite a few photos. Under the circumstances, is it worth popsting them ?
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

Always worth posting them ITZBEK !
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

One word people TRAIL. We lost to the raders last year and won the big gig. I bet P wish he went a bit softer and didnt get hurt. Looked like they were just going through the motions and that it didnt mean a lot and it didnt.

Bring on WCC and round one then let us see what we have this year.

To earl to get negative. I really dont care if we lose WCC ( Its not a fair contest anyway) as long as come round one we are pretty right to go.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know we did not play well and they scored through some really bad defence and our edges were caught out of positoin alot. But I thought at the start of each half when we had most of our first grade players on the field at the same time (minus Smith and Cronk who run the ship) we did not look that bad. Just my opinion.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The Holy Grail with a purple backdrop works for me
Holy_Grail by itzbek, on Flickr
The player in jumper 24 ( a late addition) could be a really good player
Billy by itzbek, on Flickr
No Support
No Support by itzbek, on Flickr
Some Attack
Five by itzbek, on Flickr
Finchy
One by itzbek, on Flickr
Another Attack
two by itzbek, on Flickr
But the story of the match was .....
three by itzbek, on Flickr

By the way,there was a Raider's 40 -20 where Mahe did not get to. I don't think he's overweight but he had just bulked up so much he didn't have any speed at all.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A FURIOUS Canberra will issue a ''please explain'' to the NRL, demanding answers why Melbourne's Billy Slater was allowed to withdraw from the All Stars clash and play in a trial when the Raiders' All Stars players were banned from doing so.

Canberra was left fuming when Slater was given two cameos on Friday night, despite pulling out of Saturday's night's All Stars clash in Brisbane with an ankle injury.

The Raiders wanted to withdraw Jack Wighton (hand) and Joel Thompson (shoulder) from the Indigenous All Stars side, but were warned by the NRL the players couldn't be named for the Storm trial.

Canberra's six-strong All Stars representation was more than any other club, and Raiders officials were ropeable when Slater lined up in Geelong.

Manly back-rower Anthony Watmough also pulled out of the NRL All Stars side, but played in a trial against Cronulla on Friday night.

The Raiders insist Wighton and Thompson were unlikely to play in Friday's trial anyway, but believe they were victims of double standards.

Incensed Canberra chief executive Don Furner plans to write to the NRL on Monday to clarify the situation.

''We'll write a 'please explain' asking how they can do that,'' Furner said.

''Jack Wighton's had to have some treatment on a hand and Joel Thompson on a shoulder, most clubs would have pulled them out.

''We said if we pull them out we're not going to play them in the trial, we wouldn't do that.

''Once again we do the right thing, and I'm not sure the other clubs do.''

Furner said the Raiders would have to reassess their support for the All Stars concept if other clubs don't treat it with similar respect.

''We treat it seriously. We're the ones supplying six players, and probably seven if Tom Learoyd-Lahrs was fit,'' Furner said.

''If other clubs aren't going to treat it seriously, well then we're not going to in the future.''

The Raiders will be on the warpath should Wighton and Thompson's injuries worsen after playing in the All Stars clash.

''We'll be watching it, and fingers crossed they don't aggravate it,'' Furner said.

Storm boss Frank Ponissi defended the Slater situation in The Canberra Times on Friday.

''What people forget is the All Stars now, the players tell you when they get back it's not a trial, the intensity and speed of the game is very high,'' he said.

''He just wasn't confident of getting through 80 minutes given the lack of training he's had.''
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What a surprise. Canberra having a whinge.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Frank Ponissi's spot on. How can you possibly compare a trial to a rep game?
That was quite a fast and furious game last night, definately not an occasion to be nursing injuries during brief cameo appearances.

Perhaps Canberra should focus less on using this trial as an occasion to beat Storm and more to get their squad ready for the season ahead
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Same old Furner, always whinging.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A major difference that I see is that Billy pulled out of the All Stars a couple of weeks ago and then played the trial when it was decided he was recovering well enough to. It sounds like the Canberra players were going to be pulled out at the last minute.