So what happened last night?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

What happened for those of us that wernt there?
Anyone got a report?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hmm, some awards were handed out, some people talked, others drank.

Photos were taken, some players said their goodbyes.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Were the Cheergirls there? :mrgreen:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Couldn't say, no-one was in Storm colors. They might've been, but I wouldn't recognise them outside of those lovely outfits they wear.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I was one of those that drank. :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

From what I recall - a very fun, exciting, loud, and sad night.

Our host (from Foxtel - can never remember his name) dropped the first bombshell on the night when in his opening remarks mentioned the leaving of Robbie Ross, Rodney Howe, Steve Kearney and DANNY WILLIAMS!

At the first available opportunity, we snuck up to have a chat with Danny. Danny fears that if he were to play for the Storm in 2005, and IF he were to be reported and suspended it would be the end of his career. He feels that it would be unfair for the club, and on the supporters for that to happen. He feels he has a few years left in him, and his best opportunity is going to be overseas, most likely with Bradford or London.

Danny said he would be writing a letter to all supporters (most likely on the membership list) to explain his actions.

This put me on a serious downer for almost an hour. He could play on for us, but he's thinking rationally, and with us in mind. Danny - I hope whatever your decision is, you prosper with it, and then hopefully return (as you indicated) to live in Melbourne. I hope you can stay with the club in some capacity (Hardness Coach sounds good!) or failing that - open up a pub! :D

I was a little surprised with Rodney Howe as Clubman of the Year, but there you go.

DJ's Hit of the Year - can't remember who against but it was for a "body slam" that a few degrees could have made into a spear tackle.

Brian Waldron spoke, and for all his previous media appearances - I was a little shocked at how he started his speech. I suddenly felt like I was back in primary school as he requested everyone be absolutely quiet before he started speaking. A little unusual, and I'm not sure effective. I think Surandy tried to have a chat with Waldron later and got the impression he didn't want to speak with fans. Couldn't find him myself to check this - but my first encounter with Ribot was at the 2000 Ball when I was a little tipsy and I cornered Ribot - John was doing his best to escape unharmed! :) Will be interesting to see how things progress in the coming weeks.

Three items were auctioned - a split jersey, one half Storm, other half Kiwi framed and signed by Kearney. This went for over $3,000. The second was a jersey for Billy and this one reached $4,000. The last item was some wines which sold for over $2,000 - the winning bidder not actually wanting them apparently and silently leaving the room (so the rumour goes!). Twelve items were in a raffle ($10 each ticket), and it seemed that almost all the winners were corporates. Probably no wonder since the tickets didn't make it to the supporters tables until 15 minutes before the draw.

Overall, the night was fun. The band didn't seem to play for very long, and the function finished at midnight (a little earlier than I expected). The after party was at Heat again, but someone forgot to let Heat know that it's possible the Ball could run late. They were expecting 300 people by midnight. We got there at 12:45am, and were part for the first 10 in.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

:cry: dannny...nooooooooooooo...good luck in the future mate.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:From what I recall - a very fun, exciting, loud, and sad night.

Our host (from Foxtel - can never remember his name) dropped the first bombshell on the night when in his opening remarks mentioned the leaving of Robbie Ross, Rodney Howe, Steve Kearney and DANNY WILLIAMS!
Presenter/MC for the night was Warren Smith (I think, there was definitely a Warren in his name somewhere) and I think he had a ball.
Buzz wrote:I was a little surprised with Rodney Howe as Clubman of the Year, but there you go.
As was just about everybody there.
Buzz wrote:Brian Waldron spoke, and for all his previous media appearances - I was a little shocked at how he started his speech. I suddenly felt like I was back in primary school as he requested everyone be absolutely quiet before he started speaking. A little unusual, and I'm not sure effective. I think Surandy tried to have a chat with Waldron later and got the impression he didn't want to speak with fans. Couldn't find him myself to check this - but my first encounter with Ribot was at the 2000 Ball when I was a little tipsy and I cornered Ribot - John was doing his best to escape unharmed! :) Will be interesting to see how things progress in the coming weeks.
I did have a chat with Brian Waldron, the impression I got was that he was more interested in the corporates than the common supporter. I could be wrong with that assessment as by that stage I'd had a couple of drinks. He did chat, I congratulated him on the interviews he gave to The Age and mentioned that before he was hired as CEO The Age rarely printed anything much about Storm and that it was usually negative when they did. The guy standing next to Brian agreed with me, but then he would as he was someone high up from the Herald Sun.

Biggest problem I had with trying to talk to Brian Waldron was finding the bugger, I didn't know what he looked like so I had to get directed to him. I didn't see any supporters I know chat to Brian.

Frank Stanton and most of the other staff are great like that, they have time for any supporter.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Buzz wrote:leaving of Robbie Ross, Rodney Howe, Steve Kearney and DANNY WILLIAMS!

Danny said he would be writing a letter to all supporters (most likely on the membership list) to explain his actions.

DJ's Hit of the Year - can't remember who against but it was for a "body slam" that a few degrees could have made into a spear tackle.

Brian Waldron spoke, ......
Danny ..... No need for explanations, He will always be one of my all time favorite Storm players.

Good luck with who ever he plays with.....
Knock 'em dead..... :oops: .... Ok just semi consuious. :wink: :lol:

I'd not expect too much from Brian Waldron yet..... Let him work his way into the job. I am, sure that he will embrace the common supporter in time. :D
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Surandy, did you get a chance to mention the hand drying in the Eastern Stand?
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

i just looked at all the pictures, and can i say...who picked out some of those shirts and ties the boys were wearing? #-o :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

i know, sione looked ...wierd....and can i say surandy what did u ever do to webby to make him look like that? :lol:
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Nice report, well done.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

THat hit of the year from Dallas was about 16 mins in the 1st half of the Warriors game at OP, was a great tackle.
I still think that McDoug's hit was better.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like Buzz, thought the band played to short, a good night, thought Waldron speech was good and thought he praised the 'common' (as some have put it) supporter very well.

I like that fact that he said that his old team with 22,000 CAN'T even get 500 people to their ball, where as we have 5500 members and can get over 600 to ours.

The after party was good and from what I saw everyone enjoyed the night.

I have post a few pics from the evening as well. Hav a lot more but don't want to bore people with them.....enjoy the ones posted and roll on next year.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I had a ball Friday night. Still recovering now!! Wasn't too bad after leaving the ball, but had a few too many at Heat afterwards (and at $8.50 a stubbie of Heineken I spent a bit).

A good night, chatting to a few of the players. Found Warren Smith very easy to chat to as well.

The night I thought was really well run, it kept moving right through. The only negative I felt was the band finishing so early. By the time they came on, it was less than an hour of them playing and partying after the formalities. That was my only gripe.

I thought Waldron spoke really well, and I really feel he is the man to make a difference for the club in the sporting landscape that is Melb.

Surandy, you have blown my cover... no more anonymous posting!!! I have to be careful what I say now :lol: :lol: My girlfriend won't be impressed... I was sitting between her and another girl at the table, and you managed to completely miss the girlfriend (maybe she'll be happy not to be on here though) :lol: :lol:

The awards went pretty much as expected... Howie was a bit of a surprise for clubman, but he obviously does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that us supporters don't know about. Especially considering that is the second time he has won, so good on Howie.

Highlight for me was Kearnsy's speech about the leaving players. Had a good laugh at a few of the stories... especially Howie's 'human chicken schnitzel' story :lol: :lol:

Anyway, onwards and upwards to 2005. Go Storm!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]