2013 World Club Challenge vs Leeds Rhinos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Bourbon Rat wrote:Hmm ? I guess THIS had nothing to do with the uncoordinated actions of Hull ?

And McDermott seems to be taking the " We Got Lucky " approach - Smart man :lol:

Ellis would have made a difference but not to the result. Leeds dominated most of the game and even the try we conceded was soft compared to how we defended for the rest.

McDermott is a good coach and just signed a "never ending" contract with the club yesterday. He knows how to keep the players grounded and doesnt want them to get carried away. Last night was a good performance, especially for week 1, but there was a hell of a lot to improve on and he knows it.

One of those articles also bigs Mitch Achurch up! He impressed me in one of the trials but last night looked like a passenger in a good team. He definitely didnt "shine" as the Aussie article put it.

It's a shame we look like we have lost Vickery for a while too. Not that I think he's a game changer, but because we either play a kid there now or move Watkins out wide and that pretty much gets rig of the most dangerous ball runner on the field.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

*shrugs shoulders*
Wasn't there so I went looking for other points of view,which I linked too.

And though we do have some Rhino fans who are Storm members/supporters - This terrace rat
Is from the 'sunny side' of the Pennines :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After seeing yesterday's trial (and taking into account Sallymay's report that Kenny Bromwich has hurt his calf), this is my revised 21 likely to be on the plane to England:

1.Jesse Bromwich
2.Will Chambers
3.Cooper Cronk
4.Matt Duffie
5.Brett Finch
6.Mahe Fonua
7.Mitch Garbutt
8.Tohu Harris
9.Ryan Hinchcliffe
10.Ryan Hoffman
11.Bryan Norrie
12.Justin O'Neill
13.Kevin Proctor
14.Jason Ryles
15.Junior Sa'u
16.Billy Slater
17.Cameron Smith
18.Siosaia Vave
19.Sisa Waqa
20.Gareth Widdop
21.Lagi Setu*

* I believe that if Kenny Bromwich is fit then Setu misses out due to the fact that he simply has not played at any level for 2 years.

We will probably line up like this:

1.Slater
2.Waqa
3.O'Neill
4.Chambers
5.Duffie
6.Widdop
7.Cronk
8.J.Bromwich
9.Smith
10.Norrie
11.Proctor
12.Hoffman
13.Hinchcliffe
14.Finch
15.Vave
16.Ryles
17.Harris
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like a world club challenge winning team to me.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

HD highlights of the WCC's win over Hull Friday night

Clubs highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0t9_APVN34

SKY TV Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2OQruYQ ... 2A&index=4
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

harrigan wrote:HD highlights of the WCC's win
Would that be World Council of Churches ?
Or West Coast Customs ?

Terrace talk right :twisted: Thanx for the links ;)
Think that game was shown here sometime last week on Foxsports ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Beating the Rhinos will be difficult on several counts! I will say that on a level playing field Storm would win! But given that the Rhinos will have played 3 SL games and Storm none, The weather may be kind but will usually be cold and wet. The Rhinos are led by two very capable Coach’s in Brian McDermott and Jimmy Lowes who learned how to win the WCC under Brian Noble as Players with the Bradford Bulls and also have got one WCC win under their Coaching belts!. Bellyache will not want to lose but Storm will be underdone compared to a fully committed up and running Rhinos!
As a Bradford Bulls supporter and having followed Storm for a few seasons I would like a Storm win but I think it will be unlikely, because they would have to play their A game and they need to look at their first few NRL games and at the end of the day its more important to get wins in that. The Rhinos have the luxury of knowing that in SL its not so important looking at the playoffs regarding early season wins!
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

“Kevin Proctor’s is a bad one, Bobby Blair with his eye socket or cheekbone (is in a) bit of trouble and Matt Duffie with his hamstring,” said Storm assistant coach Kevin Walters “All those three would have expected to have been on the plane, but now they’re not.
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

Has anyone heard anything about an official club event for the World Club Challenge against Leeds? STORM ACTIVE SUPPORTERS & The Storm Purple Army have been planning on holding a casual pub get-together at the Imperial Hotel on match morning. After the events of tonight where a senior club official was deliberately sitting in front of myself & Emil Camilleri, I am frightened that our efforts are actually threatening & upsetting the club holding any sort of official function for the match.

If you want to watch the match on February 23, if we held an event & the club held their own one, would you all automatically go to the official event? Or would you choose which one looks the most interesting?

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone at the club, but we have been planning this event for over a month & would love for there to be 100 plus Storm fans roaring the team onto victory.

Please let us know your honest thoughts here.

Yours in purple

Julian Farrell
STORM ACTIVE SUPPORTERS

https://www.facebook.com/events/195348530608668/
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Official squad for the WCC tour -
Squad: Kenny Bromwich, Jesse Bromwich, Will Chambers, Cooper Cronk, Brett Finch, Mahe Fonua, Ben Hampton, Tohu Harris, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Ryan Hoffman, Junior Moors, Bryan Norrie, Justin O'Neill, Jason Ryles, Junior Sa'u, Lagi Setu, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Siosaia Vave, Sisa Waqa, Gareth Widdop.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So I would guess that means...
1.Slater
2.Waqa
3.Sa'u/O'Neill
4.Chambers
5.O'Neill/Fonua
6.Widdop
7.Cronk
8.J.Bromwich
9.Smith (c)
10.Norrie
11.Moors/Harris/K.Bromwich
12.Hoffman
13.Hinchcliffe
14.Finch/Hampton
15.Ryles
16.Vave/Setu
17.Moors/Harris/K.Bromwich
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Id say, barring injury, the team to line-up against Leeds would be:
1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Junior Sau
4. Will Chambers
5. Justin O'Neill
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Tohu Harris
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Brett Finch
15. Jason Ryles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Junior Moors
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we go.

1. Slater
2. Waqa
3. Sa'u
4. Chambers
5. O'Neil
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwich
9. Smith
10. Norrie
11. Harris
12. Hoffman
13. Hinchcliffe
14. Finch
15. Ryles
16. Vave
17. Moors/Setu (whichever one impresses more)
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Highlights of Leeds' 2nd game of the Super League season. A 14-12 loss away to Castleford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Ky6koU ... 2A&index=5

The game was played in torrential rain throughout but Cas won it in the forwards. They were aggressive throughout and made us make mistakes in the last 5, which ultimately cost us the game. Danny McGuire is on great form though, setting up one try for Ryan Hall and finishing off what he started for our 1st. Cas are in the yellow btw.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

How is Wigan going harrigan?