Nine/Fox to retain NRL Broadcast rights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

According to the Telegraph the deal has been done

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6454690915

"EXCLUSIVE: Rival networks Ten and Seven have been told this morning that Nine and Fox Sports have retained the NRL broadcasting rights for the next five years.
The NRL will hold a press conference this morning to announce the deal worth $1 billion.

Under the new agreement, Nine will retain all representative games and three free-to-air matches.

Foxsports will continue with five games, including Monday Night Football.

Ten and Seven were buoyant about their chances of pinching the rights but the ARL Commission has decided to continue using the incumbent broadcasters.

A Fox Sports source this morning confirmed they would remain as joint official broadcaster of the NRL."

Look like more of the same - Hopefully the details will ensure we get better coverage down here but I am not holding my breath :( >:( :( >:(
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Oh Good! I was really hoping that they would give them to someone that would at least pretend they gave a stuff what the viewers wanted >:(
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

The ONLY good thing to come out of this is the scheduled matches for the first 20 rounds,

So much for Gallop leaving - the new commission is just as bloody spineless it seems.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we won't see Friday night games live for another four years then, they MIGHT put them on again when the next rights are up :evil:

Bloody Nine, can't believe they retained the rights!!!!!!!!!!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We'll still see one of the Friday night games live on Gem. Still though, spewing these pricks got to keep them.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The money is good and I like the mostly fixed schedule. Still, it's the same old shit.

Even if Nein offered better coverage, I still would have knocked them back on principle.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea its really funny atm. They are going on about how good this is for the fans. Its exactly the same bar a few minor details. Shame on you RLC.
storm77
Squall
Squall

Damn I wish the players union in the NRL had any balls.
There should be a $6m a year salary cap just based on the TV deal alone.
Then they should receive 50% of all other revenue, but ultimately they will probably wimp out and settle for like 5-5.5.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

If we get to see games on fridays and Sundays live whats the beef ...taken a long time coming but its here now. Interesting they have locked in the storm vs warriors ANZAC game except for 2014 for the duration and the grand final is back to a 7.30pm slot.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't know if I've missed it somewhere but why is Anzac Day 2014 not locked in? Can anyone enlighten me?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Turtle188 wrote:I don't know if I've missed it somewhere but why is Anzac Day 2014 not locked in? Can anyone enlighten me?

It's a Friday that year so it should be covered by Nein and not Fox Sports.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That makes sense, thanks absentee.

Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hate 9 as much as the next person but reality is its a great deal for the game and the things that really need attention and imo the TV coverage is about 5 th or 6th on that list in importance.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Not much has changed,apart from more money gone into the game ,which means they have to get it back some how,so, more ads during the games !!!! 9 will still dictate who plays when even though they have to do it in advance,and The Broncos will still have their Friday night spot,you can bet on that!!! be nice if they could start a fresh and get new commentators though, >:(
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

As long as they don't fall back to their old ways it'll be ok. Recently it's been good for Storm fans to be able to watch live away games on Gem.

I hate the Sunday 7:30pm GF timeslot. Has the RLC forgotten that kids watch NRL too? And only NSW gets the public holiday the following day?

I wonder if we'll see any rule changes to accommodate ads over the next few years?

Anyway, it is what it is. Let's hope the RLC distribute the $$$ wisely, fairly and evenly. And let's hope that NEIN seize this opportunity to promote the game and go head-to-head with AFL instead of being happy to live in its shadow

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image