Nine/Fox to retain NRL Broadcast rights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

With all this money coming into the game now, I'd like to know what the ARLC's plan is to increase the profile for rugby league and the Storm in Victoria. It feels like most of the time rugby league is just forgotten about in the media. Example - whenever I get the Herald Sun, I start from the back and flick through something like 20 pages of AFL news trying to find something Storm-related. We need more exposure and work needs to be done to make sure the Storm is embedded into Melbourne's sporting culture.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Also, I get the impression with this deal that the ARLC just wanted the money for now with a view to get a much better deal in five years time. I mean, as part of this deal, all of the first and last rights options Nein and Fox Sports had have been waived. That means five years from now the ARLC won't have to go to Nein and Fox Sports first to get their first offer and then give them another chance once the other networks have put in theirs. And who knows for sure where technology will be in five years? For all we know, the ARLC might drop Fox Sports completely in favour for their own NRL IPTV channel.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So without Gallop we got double the money and he has moved to the game with the biggest scumbags fans can be, in soccer every team has the bulldog army as fans

A match made in heaven

Also Absentee,I was in Melbourne a few days before the grand final in 08,as a matter of work commitments and flew back mere hours before the game to take my seat in bay 618

There were a lot of pages on afl and basically none on the storm who at the time were shooting for back to back, personally I don't enjoy Melbourne as a city, anywhere my car can be slammed by a mini train can go screw itself without the benefit of lubrication

[ Post made via Android ] Image
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Being from Manly you wouldn't know much about modern transport...trams don't bump into you unless you bump them first LOL even i know that and I am from Sydney
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It was probably Puffing Billy.....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cherry_Poppins wrote:So without Gallop we got double the money and he has moved to the game with the biggest scumbags fans can be, in soccer every team has the bulldog army as fans

A match made in heaven

Also Absentee,I was in Melbourne a few days before the grand final in 08,as a matter of work commitments and flew back mere hours before the game to take my seat in bay 618

There were a lot of pages on afl and basically none on the storm who at the time were shooting for back to back, personally I don't enjoy Melbourne as a city, anywhere my car can be slammed by a mini train can go screw itself without the benefit of lubrication

Had my first visit there a few weeks back...was lucky enough to meet everyone (CB & all) albeit for fleeting moments! And one of the thrills - got to walk out onto AAMI park, after everything was over, lol, but awesome nonetheless!
Melbourne reminds me of Wellington (even down to the weather) & I loved it!!!
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Chip wrote:
Cherry_Poppins wrote:So without Gallop we got double the money and he has moved to the game with the biggest scumbags fans can be, in soccer every team has the bulldog army as fans

A match made in heaven

Had my first visit there a few weeks back...was lucky enough to meet everyone (CB & all) albeit for fleeting moments! And one of the thrills - got to walk out onto AAMI park, after everything was over, lol, but awesome nonetheless!
Melbourne reminds me of Wellington (even down to the weather) & I loved it!!!
It's been the coldest i ever was and the hottest i ever was in Melbourne....different visits

The only good thing there is the city within a city,although in RLL2 you won't have that sponsor
due to a whinefest about gambling/alcohol sponsorship
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:We'll still see one of the Friday night games live on Gem. Still though, spewing these pricks got to keep them.
don't be so sure. read the breakdown. there's nothing about a commitment to live FNF...only a guarantee of broadcast via main or digital channels.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd find it near impossible to believe that the IC would be anywhere near as stupid as the previous hierarchy and not stipulate a clause where 9 must at least broadcast games on Gem and not just when they feel like it. Then again this is the NRL so nothing at all would surprise me really......
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So does this mean you guys in Melbourne will still get league games at midnight??
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently there's no stipulation they have to show it live on Gem (Friday nights) but i doubt we'll be reverting back to the bad old days of midnight replays and reckon the first game will continue to be shown live on Gem.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:Apparently there's no stipulation they have to show it live on Gem (Friday nights) but i doubt we'll be reverting back to the bad old days of midnight replays and reckon the first game will continue to be shown live on Gem.
i thought I read somewhere that Storm games would definitely be shown live on GEM as part ofthe new deal.

Bugger me if I can find the reference now !!!
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That was my understanding SS but Less seems to think otherwise so i'm not sure.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

scriptyx wrote:Being from Manly you wouldn't know much about modern transport...trams don't bump into you unless you bump them first LOL even i know that and I am from Sydney
Nah, he said "mini train" he must've been driving on the Altona Miniture Railway.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Trams don't exist in modern civilisation

Only Melbourne and San Francisco, which I reckon have a lot in common