Storm vs Dragons at WIN Stadium 27/07 7:35pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

just seen morris get his 3rd try... the defence is sloppy and the players look tired! the attack is not clicking, and thats because the opposition are getting so many meters against them and storm cant make it up!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

we missed a lot of chances! too impatient and trying to force the play! proctor made a good break on tackle 3 and tries to force a pass, if he held it and took the tackle we are on the front foot.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Problem is, a lot of the teams we have been playing have injury concerns of their own and have been under-performing themselves prior to playing us, so I take no comfort in our losses whatsoever. Manly have looked competitive at least in their losses whilst missing a large chunk of their top playing roster. We have not.

Our inability to score is a real concern, and leaking points against teams with some of the worst attacking records just amplifies this.

We are in trouble, and I too have lost a little faith in CB over the last few weeks, especially after seeing some impressive performances from some of our reserves - what harm could it have done to bring a little fresh enthusiasm into the team while we have so many injuries? Persisting with Widdop at FB during this period has been his biggest mistake in my opinion.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wow.

we have taken the new tag as the chokers. theres no way we should have lost the games that we have besides the tigers game at home.

not a fairweather supporter, just realistic
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Wow not good. Was thinking the other day the game where Mr B had a milestone match that the storm lost . Maybe the boys lost the feeling of invincablity even then cos I am sure that game every one on the field wanted that win but they lost. They seem down on believe which I never thought I would see . Look how they played in the year which ment nothing - awesome all year, that's our team , g. Really hope for the term that they get there shirt together.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Sorry about last post went .down hill. To many drinks to wash away the blues of another loss

Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Didnt watch the game but the stats seem to indicate we were on top. Couple of errant passes didnt help but still it was only the Dragons coming off a tough game agaisnt the Bunnies (who handled them easily) so dont know what to make of the loss.

Yes we won 9 games to start the season but alot of those wins were flattering to us and teams have gotten better since then while we havent.

Im still very concerned about the lack of young players being blooded. If we dont win it this year I can guarentee you it will be alot harder next year, Bulldogs, Souths and broncs will be alot better again, especailly if we go around with the same forwards or bring in young players.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Call me deluded but i actually seen some good signs last night. Dont get me wrong out defence was average and still have several areas to work on but i thought when we threw it around a bit more in attack we looked dangerous. They also scored a couple of tries from sloppy passing which 99 times out of 100 we wouldn't have executed like that so those things can easily be worked on and turned around.

There's still 5 games to go which is plenty of time to fine tune the things we need to. I'm sure we'lll be much better come finals time but whether that'll be good enough remains to be seen. I agree that we have to start blooding some younger kids but not several at a time at this time of year. I reckon Fonua would be def worth the punt this week against the Panthers at home. Possibly also one of the younger big boys easing them into it from the bench.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I definitely would like to see some of the younger boys blooded but I think we have missed our chance particularly in the forwards with Garbutt and K Bromwich being injured. Unless we give a Tohu a run. I can't see the team going any worse with one or two young players.

Where has our team gone? In the past we have had occasions where our attack has stagnated but our defence has always been rock solid but even our defence is terrible now.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:Yeah I reckon Craig's quite prepared to blow a few games so we can finish strong in the finals.
We should comfortably finish 2nd, but with this stupid new finals system you've got more advantage finishing 5th or 6th than 3rd or 4th.
So, maybe Craig's thinking if we rest up now and blitz the finals from 5th we can 'fly under the radar' and win it???

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go Storm I don't think you quite understand the new finals system because you keep making comments like the above. I will summarise the benefits of finishing 3rd or 4th compared to 5th or 6th below.

Benefits of finishing 3rd or 4th:
- Guaranteed double chance
- If you win your first final you get a week off and a home preliminary final
- If you lose your first final you get a home semi final.

Benefits of finishing 5th or 6th:
- Get a home final in the first week of the finals
- If you lose you are eliminated
- You play away for the rest of the finals.

I think the benefits of 3rd and 4th are greater than 5th and 6th - a guaranteed double chance and a guaranteed home final in week 2 or 3 of the finals (unless there is something I am missing). But I would definitely prefer to finish 3rd or 4th over 5th and 6th. Remember 8th has beaten 1st on at least two occasions I can think of and there is more chance of 8th beating 5th.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Late in the 1st half and early 2nd I though here we go our boys are back.....then the loose ball comes of a set play and Morris picks it up and game over.
Looked like a team that hasn't played together in a while. Which was the case with Billy returning and Will last week.
Defence was still suspect. Take away the 10 points they scored from the intercepts. But the 2nd try they scored with running around us and Morris kicking to lead to the Scott try, what is going on with our defensive line ? Craig knows teams are running around us now doesn't he ? I'm sick of this umbrella like defensive line we have.

I'm laughing at people think if Coops,Cam and Bill don't play well we don't. Was no coincident last night that when our forwards (Ryles/Hoff in particular) got past the advantage line we got on a roll and our playmakers followed suit with 2 really good tries late in the 1st.

Can someone tell me what's the go with Bromwich ? He isn't half the player he was at the beginning of the season. Hmmm

Not much else to say other than to stay positive. Anything can happen. We have 3 of the most influential players in our team and I know if we get back to any kind of form we'll be hard to stop. Heads up boys and girls.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Keep the faith. This is 2012, not 2002. Bellamy's no muppet!

Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Our wingers are laughable. Neither of them deserve to be in the side. Fonua has been harshly treated with not receiving a game in first grade yet. If O'Neill is fit next week then I would put him and Fonua on our wings. Our attack is stale and adding a wrecking-ball like Fonua would help to improve that facet of our game.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

yes agree, if oneils back he should slot straight back in for quinn, and bellamy should give fonua ago back at home next week against the panthers. Would much prefer fonua over Waqa.

Talking of the game, at the start when they were in the change rooms warming up I noticed a storm player that had very blonde hair a reserve player that didn't play, anyone have a clue who it was?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I haven't been able to see much of Fonua except on the TV but although helooked great on attack, what is he like in defence?