Round 19 vs Cowboys Game Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Agreed

[ Post made via Android ] Image
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Oneil maybe?

JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

I don't know. Sometimes I think I am watching another game to some of you guys at times. Yes, the backs are depleted but to me the big area where we are losing the plot is in the forward pack. Just like the Raiders the week before the Cowboys made big gains up the centre of the ruck.

Our forwards are honest toilers rather than stars (Smith aside of course). Our defending strategy seems to be contain teams rather than get up in their faces & really smack them with tackles. In my view too many of them are completely anonymous at the moment. Norrie Kevin Proctor Ryan Hoffman Jessie Bromwich & even Kevin Hinchliffe are mere shadows of the players they can be. Confidence is down, effort is well down & the overall structure of our play is a verging on a joke at times. It was like watching Sevens rugby union out there with the players throwing it around like a hot potato.

Sitting behind the posts it is very noticeable how many of their first movements when they are lacking on confidence is to go sideways. How many times do we see one of our forward pack scuttling across field like crabs trying to make miracle offloads on Tackles 1 -3 when some 'head down, bum up' hard metres was needed? How many times did Anthony Quinn have to play as another 'forward' because our forward weren't laying any sort of platform?

Sadly I have few answers. Jaimon Lowe is another Qld Cup standard player in our team. Likewise Rory Kostjasyn. Sika Manu doesn't look match fit. At the moment he is little more than a bit player who comes on for the odd cameo here & there.

I find myself actually worried that Parramatta will embarrass us next week.:-/ But I will be up there supporting the boys in any case

JF
Monsoon
Monsoon

I cant see any easy resolution, maybe it is time to throw in some young blood that will atleast bring some enthusiasm with them if nothing else, next week if slater neilsen and fingers crossed chambers are fit i would go with:

1. Slater
2. Fonua
3. Neilsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Ryles
9. Smith
10. Bromwich
11. Hinchcliffe
12. Hoffman
13. Proctor

14. K.Bromwich
15. Lowrie
16. Garbutt
17. Harris

Maybe set a fire under afew of these bit players that just want to sit and watch the spine do everything, unfortunately that is the route we have taken, and if our 1,6,7,9 dont get us over the line there isnt a whole lot we can do about it, all our eggs are in one basket unfortunately.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Monsoon
Monsoon

O'neill while dangerous has not nailed down the defensive side of being a centre, and with his leap and speed is better on the wing for now. One of Lowrie or Proctor should go, they are too similar, i named both becuase Sika is annoying me at the moment. Gaz was handy at the back but Cronk crumbles without a creative foil next to him, i honestly believe the welcoming back of bill in the #1 jumper and widdop back to 6 will see us improve out of sight. I dont think bellyache will tinker too much, but we need Slater back ASAP! Bloody origin has really stung us this year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

The opposition are making too many metres when they get the ball.Before origin,injuries we used to be on top of them when they got the ball but atm we seem to give them too much time to get their speed up to charge our line.we made 1377 metres and cowgirls made 1630.
We should have won the game last night as we dropped 2 balls in the process of scoring tries.
I am confident for next week against crappamatta
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

There's still seven weeks till Origin, that's plenty of time to find something in the tank and head into the play-offs with some momentum.

Plenty of time for the Bulldogs to lose the momentum which they have, just like we did in the final few weeks of our season last year - they rely heavily on their props, they're young remember so could easily find the backend of the season tough going.

Get Slater, Danger, Will and Vave back and the dimensions of our side change.

Our backing should be:

1. Slater
2. Fonua
3. Neilsen
4. Chambers
5. O'Neill

There's nothing wrong with that backline defensively, and there certainly is nothing wrong with it attacking wise - someone mention it to Bellyache at training this week.

stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Seven weeks till finals(origin is finished).
I agree with you Inglis that there is time to tweak a few things and gain momentum heading into the finals and I am confident we will
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

chambers isnt back till penrith

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The last two games we hav made over 200 metres less for the whole game. If you do not go forward you can not win games. Last night they go the ball and made it over way all the time, we got the ball and most times we only just made it to the half way mark. Running one up, down the middle does not work. Lets try something different. But I did thing we played much better last night. We just did a couple of silly things and one of the Cowboys tries was from a lucky bounce.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Give Auva'a a go in the centres then, he was on fire yesterday for the Thunderbolts - ended up with four tries. Seems pretty strong defensively too. Our NYC backs are good, very good - they'll do a good job. Premierships arn't won in July. Work hard, freshen up + peak in the finals this year. Forget winning some shield for 1st place - means little.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Despite all our problems we lost to another top eight side by a successful conversion and a penalty goal.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think our boys are too worried about trying to stay no1 on the ladder...let the doggies take the 1st spot then watch the boys fire up

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote:Season over.

erm... slight over reaction me thinks!!

1 Storm 12 5 2 28
2 Bulldogs 12 5 2 28
3 Broncos 11 6 2 26
4 Sharks 10 5 2 25
5 Cowboys 10 7 2 24
6 Rabbitohs 10 6 2 24
7 Sea Eagles 10 7 2 24
8 Wests Tigers 9 8 2 22

If somebody had said at the begining of the season that after 19 rouns we were sitting joint top of the ladder, I think would would all have taken that. bit of a cliche but premierships are not won in july.

Its been easy being a Storm supporter for the last few years (apart form the obvious!) lets dig in and support the players not come on here and ridicule them and the coach.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Totally agree with you coupy.It is better to have our losses now than to go into the finals worn out. I think it has been easy to be a Storm supporter since 1998 and my support for them hasn`t waivered one bit. all great teams lose games through a season and we are no different.