Michael Greenfield

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

According to the Herald Sun, Michael Greenfield is unlikely to play for the rest of the season due to the neck injury he received v Broncos in Round 12 and he may require surgery.

This is a shame because he had looked good in his 10 or 12 minutes on the field before that and he had impressed me at training.

This is the main reason we signed Fa'aoso.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Shame.. he looked promising.. big too. Oh well..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Was only on a 1 year contract too. Probably spells the end for him at the Storm unfortunately.

Its a shame as it looked like he had some serious talent, but he is just so damn injury prone. Always has been.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like a one hit wonder with those injuries but, if Bellamy sees enough in him, he may get one more go around next year
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6437124272

MICHAEL Greenfield is what happens when the shoulder charge goes wrong.

His career is over. Done. Finished that moment he emerged from neck surgery earlier this week, only for doctors to reveal, at age 26, the Melbourne prop will never play rugby league again.

"But I'd really appreciate if you don't make a big deal of this," Greenfield, now recovering with family in Sydney, told The Daily Telegraph last night . "There's been so much debate surrounding the shoulder charge issue ... the last thing I wanna do is become the centre of it."

And yet, somehow, he is.

This Ingleburn boy, whose career over the past nine years has passed through Cronulla, South Sydney, St George Illawarra and the Storm, finished off by the two most divisive words to strike our game since Super League - Shoulder Charge.

While Greenfield still hasn't seen the tackle that ended his career, we have. A Fox Sports statistician yesterday replayed the moment, against Brisbane in Round 12 at AAMI Park.

Returning the Steeden from a kick-off starting the second half, Greenfield was whacked by an Ben Te'o attempted shoulder charge - replays show the Queensland Origin star mistiming slightly, resulting in a vicious head clash.

And this is why you never heard anymore about it. Head clash, play on. No one following up on a herniated disc in his neck so bad, it required fusion.

"Over the years, I've done a few shoulder charges myself," Greenfield said. "I understand why the crowd loves it. So I'm certainly not going to come out screaming that it should be banned. But you know ... while there is nothing that can be done about my situation ... maybe the powers that be could put a little more discussion into the subject."
It is quite sad that Greenfield's neck injury is so bad that he will never play rugby league again. He trained the house down over pre-season and showed a bit in his games in NSW Cup and his time on the field v Broncos.

Michael all the best for your life after rugby league. You will always be part of the Storm family.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wish i had known this when i spoke to him last night

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

If it had been a Storm player that had ended someones career with a shoulder charge we would have been crucified by the media but we have heard NOTHING about this.
Good Luck Michael in your recovery.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You're right about that
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

stormy wrote:If it had been a Storm player that had ended someones career with a shoulder charge we would have been crucified by the media but we have heard NOTHING about this.
Not entirely true, they mentioned Michael Green(something) from Storm has had his career ended on today's Offsiders.

They weren't sure what his surname was, Greenwood I think they left it as.