Slater is badly injured

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yep 4 weeks it seems. Scans will reveal more I'm sure:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 20ayo.html

CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN dynamo Ben Barba is in line for a sooner than expected State of Origin debut in the series decider in Brisbane with a knee injury threatening to keep Billy Slater out of game three.

The Maroons fullback played on gallantly at ANZ Stadium last night after sustaining the injury in the 24th minute of the 16-12 defeat to NSW. Slater completed the game but Queensland team doctor Roy Saunders revealed afterwards that the fullback had damaged the posterior cruciate ligament in his knee. The standard length of time on the sideline for that injury is four weeks, meaning the Melbourne Storm star will likely miss Origin III at Suncorp Stadium on July 4. ''He looks like he's done some damage to his posterior cruciate ligament,'' Saunders said. ''What will happen will be that we will treat it tonight, he will return to Melbourne and Storm medical staff will then assess him. It's likely he'll then have scans to further determine the extent of the injury, and that will determine when he's fit to play.''

Saunders said the decision to leave Slater on the field for the remainder of the match had not put him at any more risk.

''It's a functional exercise. If he couldn't do what he needed to do, we instructed him that he was to come off,'' he said. ''It was a matter of him making sure he could do what he had to do, and he felt comfortable.''

If Slater does miss the Brisbane match, Mal Meninga could opt to hand a debut to young Bulldogs flyer Barba. His other main option is switching centre Greg Inglis to fullback, where he has been brilliant at club level this year for South Sydney since making the move to No.1.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scans today, suspected grade 2 pcl, 2-4 weeks likely

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
roberttuz

So I was right...again!!

If you want to know anything about League just let me know.

Have a good day.

Oh and I don't think we'll win a game with Slater out - just my call, but what the hell would I know??!!!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The "good" thing for want of a better word is that if it is a 4 week injury he'll only miss the 3 games against Manly, Dogs and Raiders as we have the bye before origin 3. Still not ideal but these things happen and it could've been much worse. Lets just hope for the best prognosis.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep. 4 weeks. PCL.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

roberttuz wrote:Oh and I don't think we'll win a game with Slater out - just my call, but what the hell would I know??!!!
You're doing that thing again.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i have to put that billy slater voodoo away i think. but always look on the bright side i guess, he will be good for the finals and not over worked like last year
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He looked far more confident in the 2nd half last night which gave me hope it wasn't serious. He'll wanna play origin 3 but for Melbourne's sake I'm not sure if I want him to.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Knowing Billy.. he'll end up playing..
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Knowing Billy, he may just play on Monday anyway.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope not. Don't want him anywhere near that team.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Not the best of news, but not the worst either. He will be back fresh for the charge towards the finals.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Hope you have a speedy recovery and all the best Billy
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Daily Telegraph is reporting he will miss anywhere between 3-8 weeks, 8 weeks the worst case scenario.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TBH as long as he is fit for the finals I'm ok with him getting a rest. Storm > Origin for me now. Craig just needs to think of a better cover than to over Widdop to 1 and Rory to 6.