Player Managers stood down

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

they should have competition points stripped off them(if they had any :lol: :lol: :lol: )
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They touched on this briefly on Offsiders this morning. Roy Masters is of the opinion they were not punished ENOUGH (especially Mimis who was in on the match fixing) and he's right and hinted that if it was longer than six months the agents would have likely spilt their guts about cap rorts at other clubs that would give Melbourne a slim chance of having the sanctions handed down in 2012 reversed....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sorry... 2010. That's the 2nd time I've done that!

Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Looks like News Ltd have won again.

A light slap on the wrists to the dodgy agents...in return for silent acceptance. The powers at be will be sitting back feeling pretty good about now.

Meanwhile Pissweak Gallop has the nerve to say the penalties are a major deterrent for anyone else considering rorting the cap. Pigs arse Gallop.

You are a laughing stock of sport.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

As LesStar said, the NRL has not handed out any punishment - it was the Player Agent's association which stood them down.

Just as the NRL has not punished Waldron (he cut and run) or the two News Ltd directors who had access to and sign-off of all Storm's financial records.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Gainey got off because he, in the words of Roy, got down on his knees and said "mia culpa, mia culpa".

In a way, I think the NRL are a bit of a "silent partner" to the APAS and consequently, if it DOES, go to court, it'll come back to bite the NRL on the arse. How it'll effect the relationship between the other 3 agents and their peers is another thing altogether but the two biggest organisations at risk if it DOES go to court are News Limited and the NRL. The former because there were executives who pleaded ignorance through the whole thing. If anyone at any level of News WAS in on it, its a MASSIVE PR hit that they cannot afford after the phone hacking scandal. The latter are farked because if other clubs cheat the cap the agents can testify that the cap is flawed. Imagine if Manly and Saints for example were cheating and their premierships were stripped...you'd have 4 seasons without a legitimate winner and that would just make the NRL an even bigger laughing stock!

pleaded ignorance about the whole thing.

Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Apparently Gainey got off because he, in the words of Roy, got down on his knees and said "mia culpa, mia culpa".

In a way, I think the NRL are a bit of a "silent partner" to the APAS and consequently, if it DOES, go to court, it'll come back to bite the NRL on the arse. How it'll effect the relationship between the other 3 agents and their peers is another thing altogether but the two biggest organisations at risk if it DOES go to court are News Limited and the NRL. The former because there were executives who pleaded ignorance through the whole thing. If anyone at any level of News WAS in on it, its a MASSIVE PR hit that they cannot afford after the phone hacking scandal. The latter are farked because if other clubs cheat the cap the agents can testify that the cap is flawed. Imagine if Manly and Saints for example were cheating and their premierships were stripped...you'd have 4 seasons without a legitimate winner and that would just make the NRL an even bigger laughing stock!
pleaded ignorance about the whole thing.

Saints have the dosh and Bennett couldnt win a comp without cheating
but if you think we can cheat the cap your joking and are clearly deluded

We dont have a massive multinational company backing us nor do we
have a good enough relationship with Gallop to get away with it,after his
poor handling of situations that were a money hunting stitch up portrayed
by a con artist and his mentally challenged daughter (I do not hate her)

I personally believe that News Limited knew about what was going on in
Melbourne during those years and was the actual one in command of it telling
your ex-board to do it,which makes me not despise your club as i dont see you
guys as the real culprits in the matter,funny how the investigation was ran by
a company owned by News Limited (God thats a good name,they pretend to have
news but their knowledge of anything is really limited,so they make shit up such as
"I was to drunk to remember a thing")
Thor19
Squall
Squall

Apologies if this link has been posted before

www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrl/2011_storm_report.pdf

Spent a quiet Sunday afternoon reading the majority of this report.

The scale of what Waldron did is pretty mind boggling and according to Schubert couldn't have been done without the agents knowing what was happening. It was more than just side contracts - it involved payments to sponsors and false invoices gets as close to fraud as it can get..
He does mention that at least the players should have been more questioning about the payments but if the amount of money in the bank account is the same but from different sources - must have been that third party/ side contract that was signed - the player really didn't question it.

What also comes out is how much the players trusted the club to "Sort out" any contract issues and trusted their manager that all was being done was above board. There is one player mentioned (very obvious who as he is no longer at the storm) that "älarm bells should have been ringing".

For the players to have known - they would have to know exactly how much they were being paid and how much everyone else was being paid.. exactly assuming everyone knew this. Which would have been difficult with the amount of changes like moving 20K/40K to the next year..sometimes without the player's consent. Which the players got sh**ted off about.

I think we were lucky to get what we got .. the punishment could have been similar to Carlton in the AFL many years ago. Plus there was the chance that the players could have had further punishment..but as Schubert says he believes the players have had more than enough punishment losing the premierships/ points/ pride etc. The blame lies with trusting Waldron and the people under his control..and the lack of oversight..which can be circumvented by putting directors under pressure and being untruthful...

But I tell you what I'm proud of at this club - one that the new administration has admitted the mistakes ; has taken steps (acknowledged by Schubert) to not let this happen again; played for no points in 2010 (and would have been fourth);had a great year in 2011 and are going along beautifully in 2012.

What tops it all is that when the players had lost their premierships; their points and their pride someone (who was that player?) came up with an idea how about we play for charity? Remember that in 2010 - how good was that idea when we weren't paying for comp points?!!

Makes me real proud..as a Storm supporter

Storm for Life!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Waldon can't stay quiet forever and I don't believe for a second that people within News were completely unaware.

The thing that still shits me is how News never took any of the blame themselves. They own the club and they hired the people. Even if it was happening without their knowledge (and again, I don't believe that), they're still the owners and they needed to take responsibility. Not only that - they allowed our club, our players, our coaches and our fans to be dragged through the dirt over and over again in their newspapers. News obviously doesn't care about our club beyond it simply being an asset for them and the day they finally sell up and leave the game forever will be a true day for celebration.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:Waldon can't stay quiet forever and I don't believe for a second that people within News were completely unaware.

The thing that still shits me is how News never took any of the blame themselves. They own the club and they hired the people. Even if it was happening without their knowledge (and again, I don't believe that), they're still the owners and they needed to take responsibility. Not only that - they allowed our club, our players, our coaches and our fans to be dragged through the dirt over and over again in their newspapers. News obviously doesn't care about our club beyond it simply being an asset for them and the day they finally sell up and leave the game forever will be a true day for celebration.

They wont ever let the donkeys go and i can live with that personally
While i think Waldron is a grade A creep i'd buy his book just to see what
the fk he has to say,to me there is no greater mystery than what goes through
his head,if you blokes dont want to buy it when it comes out when im finished ill
post it through to the site owner,who can send it out for the rest of you to read

He only needs one copy to be sold and shared throughout the nation and i only
plan to read it once
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

hi CHEZ..JUST A SUMMARY OF WALLY`S BOOK WILL BE SUFFICIENT.
since April 22nd 2010 I have become a LOUDER PROUDER STORM member. The club could`ve not put any effort into that season but the "Points for Purpose" program the team set up and raised $150,000 for various charieties was awesome.
I wonder how other clubs would`ve gone if they would have been in the same position as STORM.
How would the sharks,chooks,eels have faced that season? We will never know cos giddyup will never check out any nsw or qld clubs.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

stormy wrote:hi CHEZ..JUST A SUMMARY OF WALLY`S BOOK WILL BE SUFFICIENT.
since April 22nd 2010 I have become a LOUDER PROUDER STORM member. The club could`ve not put any effort into that season but the "Points for Purpose" program the team set up and raised $150,000 for various charieties was awesome.
I wonder how other clubs would`ve gone if they would have been in the same position as STORM.
How would the sharks,chooks,eels have faced that season? We will never know cos giddyup will never check out any nsw or qld clubs.

I will post a TL : DR version of the book that revolves around that
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry, News Ltd not taking any responsibility for salary cap breaches comes from the top, look at Rupert saying he knows nothing re: the phone hacking scandal.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Waldron has been very quiet. It's almost like someone is or has, provided him a comfortable standard of living to remain that way.

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Diehard_Storm wrote:Waldron has been very quiet. It's almost like someone is or has, provided him a comfortable standard of living to remain that way.

of course news ltd would know nothing about this......