Player Managers stood down

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Big story on the NRL site this morning re player managers involved in the Storm Cap rort,they have named the 4 managers which comes as no surprise really,but what is worrying is the backlash once again towards the players these greedy bastards manage,NSW are going to have yet another field day with this one,despite the fact that these guys manage more than half of the top line players in the league,and I would think that more than likely,they have been doing these sorts of deals with all the clubs their players have been involved in..but we know who will come under fire ,don't we ??
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Typical NRL....6 month bans....Talk about clamping down!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

I guess now that they have been found to be guilty of being party to these deals, that in all fairness ALL contracts they have negotiated will now be thoroughly investigated by the NRL?? Oh, no wait a minute, sorry, silly me, it's the NRL isn't it? How could I be so foolish? The player managers couldn't possibly have been involved in any underhanded negotiations or deals at any other club other than the Storm for the simple reason that Gallop said nobody else was cheating!!!!

I agree with Freshy, 6 month bans, WTF?
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The rodents who administered the club have been long forgotten about, now the player managers only get a slap on the wrist with six month bans. Why has there been no proper action over this so called biggest scandal in Australian sport? There hasn't been any jail time, fines or any sort of proper punishment dished out to the main culprits. Harden up NRL and do something about this.

Also, why has this news only come out days after the second anniversary of the salary cap scandal. Expect something else this time next year.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mattstormy wrote:The rodents who administered the club have been long forgotten about
No they haven't. They are still there.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think you are all missing something very crucial here. The ban has been enforced by the Accredited Players Association... NOT the NRL.

Still, after two years, all the drama and the threats of action, 6 months is piss weak, something you'd expect of the NRL but it isn't them handing out the punishment. They should be banned for LIFE. But of course that won't happen and I doubt you'll hear the NRL step in and demand a harsher sentence. They tried to do stand over the Roosters with O'Sullivan last year only to back down (as Gallop is scared of Nick Politis).

Knowledge is power and if the agents get anything more than a slap on the wrist, the whole house of cards comes crashing down. First up, the agents will have no issue telling the dirty little secrets at Melbourne, followed by every side deal done at the other 15 clubs.

The NRL, despite being the best TV sport in the country, is where elite players playing rep footy are being paid well below market value with a paltry 4 million dollars (the AFL cap is double that) at ANY
club. These clubs are trying to run a business and put fans in the stands. Do you think any other clubs cut corners to make this happen? You bet your life they do!

The player agents are a massive risk to the NRL, as they have the goods to prove just how inadequate and paltry the salary cap is.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Puts us in a huge bind,we have a number of players under those agents,including K Foz
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just linking and showing,please dont shoot the messenger

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-agent-mimis-to-f ... fault.aspx

NRL player manager George Mimis has vowed to fight a six-month suspension over his involvement in the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal in 2010.

Mimis, head of the SFX Sports Group, represents the Storm's superstar fullback Billy Slater, and was banned by the Rugby League Player Agent Accreditation Committee with immediate effect until October 31, along with David Riolo and Isaac Moses of the Titan Management Group.

Allan Gainey, who manages South Sydney and former Melbourne centre Greg Inglis, was issued with a caution.

The committee ruled at a meeting on Wednesday night that each of the agents had breached the rules of the scheme and the code of ethics for accredited agents in relation to the salary cap rort, which was uncovered in 2010 and resulted in the Storm being stripped of their 2007 and 2009 premierships.

Mimis, in a statement on Thursday, denied any wrongdoing and claimed he'd provided a statutory declaration to the committee from Slater to show there had been nothing untoward in their dealings with the club.

"I strongly maintain my innocence in this matter," Mimis said.

"I have given a detailed account to the player agent committee of the relevant dealings including co-operation with the salary cap auditor with his enquiries.

"I maintain my innocence throughout this matter and my innocence was supported by a statutory declaration given by the player as to the sequence of events.

"The Committee's decision is, personally, a heavy disappointment. I intend to take all steps open to me to have the decision set aside."

ARL chief executive David Gallop lauded the decision of the committee, chaired by Tony Whitlam QC and made up of Martin Meredith from the NRL, Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League President Bruce Wallace, David Garnsey and Ben Bana from the RLPA and agents Wayne Beavis and Steve Deacon.

Gallop said the suspensions represented a significant stance for the accreditation committee and the game.

"The salary cap is a foundation stone of our competition which has produced the most unpredictable and exciting footy again this season," Gallop said.

"The penalties for breaching it must be substantial as we saw because of the large scale nature of what happened at the Storm.

"Anyone who was complicit in that must know that the net may fall on them.

"That has happened here and the effect of not being able to negotiate contracts for six months will cause anyone tempted to be part of a breach to think again.

"Equally to be suspended by one's peers and other representatives of the game is not the reputation that anyone would wish for. A clear warning is now out there."

The ban prevents the trio from negotiating contracts for their clients, but does not stretch to stopping them from speaking to their players or scouting for young players.

However, they are unable to sign individuals directly to their companies until their bans have been served, but other members of the staff who are accredited could still operate on their behalf.

Riolo and Moses, who represent Storm skipper Cameron Smith and back-rower Ryan Hoffman, were unavailable for comment, but it's believed they will also fight the decision.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This part of the punishment is dead set LAUGHABLE:

The ban prevents the trio from negotiating contracts for their clients, but does not stretch to stopping them from speaking to their players or scouting for young players.

However, they are unable to sign individuals directly to their companies until their bans have been served, but other members of the staff who are accredited could still operate on their behalf.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they need to be kicked out of sport!!!!!!!!!!
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The thing that concerns me is that there is a high probability that this think will go to court with the end result that scapegoats will need to be found as I seriously doubt that the NRL or News will take any responsibility. That only leaves one and that's the storm
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nothing left for them to do to us
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/parr ... 6340787876

The Australian Rugby League Commission has fined four clubs a total of $166,557 over salary cap breaches in the 2011.

Breach notices will be issued to Parramatta ($80,366), Gold Coast Titans ($41,200), Penrith ($39,633) and Canberra ($5,358).

"While any breach of the cap is an issue the audit showed a strong level of compliance across most clubs," ARLC Chief Executive David Gallop said.

"Certainly the message remains that we will continue to closely monitor every aspect of the cap and that clubs will be held accountable where breaches occur.
"The basic principle of any sporting contest has to be that everyone plays by the same set of rules and that is what we ensure through the Salary Cap."

Meanwhile, Wests Tigers have lost an appeal over a 2010 Salary Cap fine of $187,140. The Tigers had contested the fine through the NRL Appeals Tribunal Chaired by Sir Laurence Street, who gave his final judgment this week.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What pisses me off most is the Wests and Titans breaches

Darling clubs get sweet FA done to them
staticash
Squall
Squall

At least we can tell which clubs do a real good job on their knees with gallops trouser snake.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
S.W.A.S