Ferral Fans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
wiganese
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Leaving AAMI Park after the Bulldogs game on the weekend , I was appalled when I witnessed a man ( and I use the term lightly) coming down the steps from the Eastern area of the ground,obviously drunk,but what was worse,he targetted some bulldogs fans who were near the bottom of the steps,he forced his way into the middle of the group and shouted abuse right into their faces,using some of the foulest language,and spraying spit into their faces.
I know that some Bulldogs fans came under scrutiny a few years ago because of their appalling behaviour especially towards other supporters,and I also know that these morons where dealt with within the Bulldogs club actually by other supporters who were sick of them giving the club a bad name,and what I saw on the weekend was a Melbourne Storm equivalent of those morons,and I didn;t like what I was seeing,I honestly felt like going up to this animal myself and giving hima moth full, AND repossessing his Storm top AND his membership,if he had one.But to the Doggies fans credit,they just ignored him and turned away,but he wasn't happy with that,he followed them,mouthing off the whole time..
Please let this be an isolated incident,because I would hate for Melbourne to get a reputation similar to what the Bulldogs had back then,it won't take much for the Sydney press to latch on to something like this and run with it,they are forever watchful ,and they would love it!!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i saw that and was on the tram with the same doggie fans...i said i hope that this hadnt wrecked their time at aami....one of the ladies said that apart from it being annoying they have had worse at others grounds in sydney

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In a 15000 crowd, there is bound to be one obnoxious loud mouth wanker.

If you gathered a cross section of the community, the ratio would probbaly be even higher.

I would suggest that this was a very isolated incident...there were a lot of Dogs fans near where we were sitting and there was no problems at all.

Overall Storm crowds/fans/members are very decent and respectable in my experience
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I would agree with you Storm Spirit,but isolated incident or not,it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you see something like this,there is no need for it,I know we all get a little "passionate" sometimes,but when other supporters come from interstate to watch there team play,well hats off to them,I know when we have gone to Sydney and copped abuse form opposing supporters,it is a very unpleasant experience , and I also know people who won't go to away matches because of it.I for one would hate that to happen at AAMI Park,we need those supporters to visit Melboune,I am not saying we have to like them,but there is no need to abuse them either.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'd say every club has its fair share of morons - some perhaps more than others. I'd like to think people are rational enough not to assume that if they have one bad experience with a drunken idiot that they don't automatically assume all fans are like that. From my personal experience, the people around me have always been cool - both at AAMI Park (where I've sat in the same spot every week) and the Graveyard (I moved around quite a bit). I've never seen any Storm fans being abusive towards or giving opposition supporters a hard time. Sure, I've seen people give other fans a bit of shit (going both ways), but it's always good natured - and I think that's fine. It's not unusual to see opposition supporters shake hands and have a bit of a laugh at the end of a game. The only time I've seen fans at each others throats was the 2009 final against Manly at Etihad Stadium. I was a couple of bays over from the Manly supporters area and I could see things were getting pretty ugly. A lot of them left early, though with their tails between their legs - so that was funny, I guess.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

i was abused by a couple of chook supporters in Sydney a couple of yrs ago just because I had the cheek to support my team.(2009).the men were very abusive towards me and told me a Melbourne team had no right to be in their competition and women know even less about the game and they should be at home in the kitchen. Other chook supporters told them to button it.One family even offered me a seat near them and told me not all chook supporters are as feral or abusive as them.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I copped a ribbing from a carriage full of Dragons fans after a Saints v Broncos game in 2004. I was up for Storm v Dogs but went down the Gong with my aunt uncle and cousins so wore my Storm jersey. Some clown told me I "had some nerve" walking through town wearing "that". Tipped my hat and told him to enjoy his night. On the TRAIN a bloke started in on me in a friendly way about the 99 GF and how they were gifted the premiership. I told him to go watch the game again and figure out how they blew a 14 point lead. Then my uncle pipes up that I'm a traitor on account of the fact I was born at St George hospital and lived in Riverwood and I was jeered by a carriage of red and white maniacs! Hahaha!

The kicker? The bloke who started in on me is now one of my closest friends. ;)

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I do remember at Olympic Park there were a couple of punch-ons.

The first one was circa 2000 or 2002 (it wasn't '01 because the Storm were playing at Docklands that year) in the old Marcus Bai Bay Stand in the North-Eastern corner of Olympic Park. That was a fairly big blue with about 50 people involved and the cops and security were trying to break it up (back in those days I stood right in front of the TV screen not too far from it).

The third one was in 2003 (that was the first year I started standing in the Marcus Bai Bay) when as leaving the ground at the end of a game, some guy was having a barney with someone in the St. John's Ambulance behind the old Nikau stand.

Other than these two events, I have seen no other altercations at Storm home games (and my first game was way back in R16, 1998 vs Auckland and I've lost count at the amount I've been to since then).
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote: The third one was in 2003 (that was the first year I started standing in the Marcus Bai Bay) when as leaving the ground at the end of a game, some guy was having a barney with someone in the St. John's Ambulance behind the old Nikau stand.
Sorry, I meant to say the second one, not the third one.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I remember at a Raiders game at Olympic Park at the front of the Nikau Stand a "Storm supporter" started having a go at a Raiders supporter and even punched him in the nose during the game and the poor Raiders supporter was the person evicted by security. He was still in the st Johns Ambulance when the game finished.

I also know a Brisbane supporter who used to live in Melbourne who came to a couple of games with us. It was the final v Broncos in 2007 where we won 40 - 0 after the game she said she was not coming to another game because she was abused by multiple Storm fans as she left.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scooter wrote:I remember at a Raiders game at Olympic Park at the front of the Nikau Stand a "Storm supporter" started having a go at a Raiders supporter and even punched him in the nose during the game and the poor Raiders supporter was the person evicted by security. He was still in the st Johns Ambulance when the game finished.

I also know a Brisbane supporter who used to live in Melbourne who came to a couple of games with us. It was the final v Broncos in 2007 where we won 40 - 0 after the game she said she was not coming to another game because she was abused by multiple Storm fans as she left.
try wearing blues gear during origin at suncorp and down caxton st.......
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:I'd say every club has its fair share of morons - some perhaps more than others. I'd like to think people are rational enough not to assume that if they have one bad experience with a drunken idiot that they don't automatically assume all fans are like that. From my personal experience, the people around me have always been cool - both at AAMI Park (where I've sat in the same spot every week) and the Graveyard (I moved around quite a bit). I've never seen any Storm fans being abusive towards or giving opposition supporters a hard time. Sure, I've seen people give other fans a bit of shit (going both ways), but it's always good natured - and I think that's fine. It's not unusual to see opposition supporters shake hands and have a bit of a laugh at the end of a game. The only time I've seen fans at each others throats was the 2009 final against Manly at Etihad Stadium. I was a couple of bays over from the Manly supporters area and I could see things were getting pretty ugly. A lot of them left early, though with their tails between their legs - so that was funny, I guess.
Ahhh we will never forget the scoreline the year before that
abomination of a game

That game however was lost by a team who had one of their
forwards lose a kid during the same week as that game,also
the impact hooker took a week off due to this and Hally being
his best mate,the kid was stillborn and our players didnt recover
quickly enough mentally from the tragedy

Have you that the last few years have had one common theme?

To win the premiership,you either have to be Manly,or Beat manly
on your way to the premiership,during the finals

2007 Knockout wins GF,refs have no testicles to use the send off option for extremely foul play
2008 Record scoreline for a grand final win,eclipsing Roosters vs Saints 38-0
2009 Lost baby loses first week of finals,from 5th! Saints choke vs Parra to put the nail in the coffin
2010 Injuries and suspensions,reserve grade played Saints to get spanked
2011 Beat warriors after upset of the year,hilarity ensues as Bellamy ignoring his hurting men cries to
himself in the dressing room in the biggest act of selfishness any coach has ever done

Either us or the team to knock us out won those years,2012 will
be no different :D
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

What knockout in the 2007 GF are you talking about Chez? You can`t be suggesting the Mick Crocker charge was illegal? :lol:
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ainscough's hit on Smith was illegal. Crocker's hit on Stewart was legit but would probably have had a different result if he did it in the game in the current environment.

Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Ainscough's hit on Smith was illegal. Crocker's hit on Stewart was legit but would probably have had a different result if he did it in the game in the current environment.

LOL Yeah sure so Ainsoughs hit wasnt legal but Crocker's is??

Intentional contact with the head should be an immediate send off
Last edited by Cherry_Poppins on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.