USA Trip

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Straight from twitter:

David Niu ‏ @davidniu7
Plans in works for @melbstormrlc coming to NYC at the end of 2012 season to play @USATomahawks Updates coming! #nrl @amnrl #rugbyleague
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Great news....We've always had strong ties to the US.

The admin and coaching staff have visited the US before. Visiting NFL teams like the Denver Broncos and co to gain an insight into how they run their operations. Its great for developing our systems.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

AFAIK - The Tomahawks have never played an NRL team :?

And look who their coach is :twisted:
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is good for INTERNATIONAL footy and its good that Storm are prepared to do this as both the ARL and NZRL are both not prepared to do 4 Nations this year.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bourbon Rat wrote:AFAIK - The Tomahawks have never played an NRL team :?

And look who their coach is :twisted:
And their captain, lol
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This year will be like 2007 with post season Tests where AUS and NZL play a one off test in October. There is no Four Nations this year because I think teams need to prepare for the 2013 World Cup.

In saying this though, I'm all for Rugby League being promoted internationally in places where it might be a chance to gain a foothold in a certain country (like France, Ireland, Russia, South Africa etc.), but I can't see it ever gaining any interest in the US. It is like the AFL trying to promote their code through the 'AFL International Cup' or whatever it's called in countries where there is absolutely no interest (even worse for the AFL is that there are no other countries in the world that play Aussie Rules professionally). It's embarrassing and it's a waste of time and effort for little return trying to promote Rugby League in the US (didn't the Kangaroos play an exhibition game back in late 2004 in the US (Philadelphia I think) and the game was played on a gridiron field with gridiron goalposts, under modified rules with four 20 minute quarters and they had a marching band in the stands and running commentary over the PA system?).
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

We actually ran into Bellamy in New York last year.
On the way to an NFL match between the NY Jets and San Diego and who should be in the same packed train carriage, got his attention with a wave of a phone which prominently featured Storm pictures.

Later found out Hoffy was at the same game from reading his wife's blog.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

:swav: :swav: :swav: :swav: Who are we to deny the US from watching our CHAMPION team.I think everyone deserves a chance to see our STARS in action. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Oh I hope it is late October/November,I will be in the States then visiting my cousin,I would love to see "Apple Pope" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bourbon Rat wrote:AFAIK - The Tomahawks have never played an NRL team :?

Didn't Russell Crowe organise an exhibition/trial match between the Bunnies and the Tomahawks a few years ago?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ITS OFFICIAL

http://www.amnrl.com/news/us-storm-warning

The American National Rugby League is excited to officially announce that NRL powerhouse the Melbourne Storm from Australia will visit the USA in an historic matchup where American Rugby League fans can expect to see the best possible squad that the Storm can put on the field when it plays a one-off friendly against the Tomahawks.

The Storm will make history by becoming the first NRL club to play the American national team when the two square off in October. New York and Philadelphia are the two frontrunners in the race to be named the host city.

Melbourne, which sits atop the standings after seven rounds of the 2012 NRL season, boasts three of the game’s global superstars in Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith, but whether US fans will see them in action will largely depend on availability and injury status. The match is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, October 13.

Australia is slated to play New Zealand in a test match at that same time and it’s more than likely that all three would be called into the Kangaroos squad if healthy. If so, the Storm visit will be pushed back a week with the game to be played on October 20. All details will be confirmed throughout the year.

The idea for the match was first hatched after the Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers in the US last fall when a high-powered Storm coaching staff of Head Coach Craig Bellamy, General Manager Football Operations Frank Ponissi, Communications GM Frank Barrett and Head Physio Kieren Morgan ended a two-week study trip to the USA in New York.

They met with American National Rugby League board members Rob Balachandran and Matt Astill and one of the topics of discussion was the need for the Tomahawks to schedule quality games in the lead up to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

“When we saw the enthusiasm from both Matt and Rob we didn’t want to let them down,” Ponissi told WeAreRugby. “On our arrival back to Melbourne I proposed the idea to a few of our senior players to get their reaction. They were absolutely excited and extremely keen to make it happen.”

And according to Ponissi, the upside of the match is enormous for the Storm. “The game provides both the players and the club with some unique opportunities, including playing against an international team - the Melbourne Storm have never played against an international team let alone a World Cup team. This is an attraction to all our players, but the benefits for our younger players are high.

“Playing in one of the greatest cities and countries in the world - without any doubt, both the USA and New York has an aura about them and this excites both the players and the coaching staff. The timing of the game allows the players to spend some time after the tour in the US. Given that it is a long season in the NRL, such a tour is a fantastic carrot for the players for the end of season and genuinely something to look forward to.”

Ideally, if Melbourne was to go through to the NRL Grand Final its players would still be match fit when they tackle the Tomahawks, however, if it gets bounced early from the playoffs the gap to the game would be wider, which would be a disadvantage for the visitors.

Another potential obstacle is covering the cost of the tour given that the club’s 2012 budget had already been set prior to the New York meeting, although Ponissi doubts that any of these factors will derail the team's plans to the tour. And besides, he says the club sees the trip to the US as a pretty big deal.

“In a traditional non Rugby League city like Melbourne the publicity that such a game will attract will be of enormous benefit to our club especially given that the month of October is a non-active period for our game to attract media coverage,” added Ponissi.

“More importantly, the players are genuinely excited about playing the game and their drive to make this game happen is the most motivating factor for me.”

The match with the Storm will come towards the end of a busy international schedule for the Tomahawks, who will have played Ireland, Tonga, and Canada, twice, before hosting the Australians.

For more information on the AMNRL visit www.amnrl.com and for the Melbourne Storm check out www.melbournestorm.com.au
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

And the point of this trip to the US is for what??? Sorry to be a bit negative about this, but I can't see this having any progress on the "promotion" of rugby league in the US. It's never worked in the past so there is no point trying to make it work now. Remember the World Sevens and that failure? Do many Americans even know the word "Rugby" let alone what "Rugby League" is?

No matter what players are sent over, the Storm will absolutely cream the Tomahawks. I just hope it's played under traditional rules, with two 40 minute halves and not played on a gridiron field with gridiron goal posts - it will be pretty laughable if the game is played under opposite conditions.

Also, I highly doubt Billy, Cam and Coops will be there due to the very short turnaround of the post-season test (it's a bit hard to recover and then travel half way around the world in less than a week).
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

im not sure im happy with it either...just say we win the GF our players would have played 26 rds plus at least 2 possible 3 finals plus the finals plus state of origin then the have to play australia/nz or england or other rep games then this american game and then after all that they have to play the world club challange how much of a brake will they get...but if the article says the playing group is happy then i guess im all for it

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

the players will get to go meet nfl teams and see what goes on behind the scenes like craig does. plus they will get to holiday there, why would the players pass that up?
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think as a team its a great way to celebrate their Grand Final win :-D