USA Trip

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote:I think as a team its a great way to celebrate their Grand Final win :-D
Ok Chip we have finished 7 rounds do not get too excited. We finished minor premiers last year and didn't even make the GF.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm a half-full glass kinda person
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

@Surandy; Crowe organised 50uff$ Vs. Leeds as a pre-season game in Florida for a few years running. They never played the Tomahawks.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

LESStar58 wrote:@Surandy; Crowe organised 50uff$ Vs. Leeds as a pre-season game in Florida for a few years running. They never played the Tomahawks.

Not true Luke, Souffs did play the Tomahawks but I got it wrong, Souffs weren't in the NRL at the time of the game. It was whilst they were trying to get back into the national comp. See wikipedia.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our mate brendothejet once dubbed me the "Oracle" of rugby league in Melbourne...maybe the title should go to you, Andy! ;)

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/n ... 6372973670

A SALARY cap crackdown will force several Melbourne Storm players to pay their own way to the club's exhibition game in New York in October.
Storm will play American national team the Tomahawks, qualifiers for next year's Rugby League World Cup in England and Wales.

The match follows a chance meeting between US rugby league officials and a Melbourne party, including coach Craig Bellamy, last year.

The club has sought sponsors' help to fund the trip, which will cost about $150,000.

NRL officials declined to help with cash for what's considered the ultimate promotion for the game and the World Cup.

The NRL baulk comes after Storm went to Hobart in February for a pre-season trial against the Broncos.

The game was played in front of more than 15,000 people without any league funding.

Some insiders called it "poor form" that the NRL declined a Storm request to be involved given that Tourism Victoria latched on to the match's promotional merits.

But an NRL spokesman said because the New York exhibition was a club initiative and not for competition points, it had a blanket policy of not offering funding.

The same applied for pre-season trials, such as the one in Hobart.

But because Storm jerseys will carry the NRL logo in the one-off match, Melbourne officials needed the league's permission to play.

Storm has been told it can pay for only 22 players and if it funded any more than that the cash would have to be included in the club's salary cap.

Melbourne chief executive Ron Gauci said NRL officials said to "take the number of players we see fit in terms of playing numbers.

"Any numbers beyond that they would look at from a salary cap perspective."

Storm has 33 players in its first grade squad and it's believed the entire group has agreed to share the costs of anyone not picked in the squad who wants to go.

-------------
so first the dont want to take SOO games interstate and make it National now they dont want to have a team play a game internatioally the NRL are just dumb
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

You know, I kind of expected something like this to happen. I know it's easy to be critical of the NRL but I can see their point of view - the club is basically funding an international trip for the players. Got to be careful with that stuff.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I reckon it will be an average side going to the US. With Cam, Billy and Coops almost certain to play in the post season test in October, I don't think they will go and with a number of players expected to move on from the club at the end of the year, I think most of the players the Storm will send over will be the U20s team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Will probably look something like this I reckon:

1.Tonumaipea
2.Solomona
3.Fonua
4.Chambers
5.Waqa
6.Blair
7.Hampton
8.Vave
9.Kostjasyn
10.Garbutt
11.K.Bromwich
12.Auva'a
13.Greenfield
14.Pooley
15.McGahan
16.Davies
17.Sironen
18.Moi Moi
19.Kennedy
20.Gideon
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

still a pretty good team
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No wonder NRL are light years behind AFL. They don't want to promote the game as a whole. They don't even help fund trials to promote the game in different areas eg Hobart. Then the NRL have a sook when the Wagga council agrees to kick in some cash to have an AFL practice match there for a few years. Nothing proactive about the NRL.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Scooter wrote:No wonder NRL are light years behind AFL. They don't want to promote the game as a whole. They don't even help fund trials to promote the game in different areas eg Hobart. Then the NRL have a sook when the Wagga council agrees to kick in some cash to have an AFL practice match there for a few years. Nothing proactive about the NRL.
All the strikethroughs can be replaced with Gallop.As long as he's there EVERYTHING will be retro active & penny pinching ::)
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The retisence of the governing body is staggering. At least the lads will have each other covered for costs!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbou ... 6454533055

ON a bad news day for Melbourne Storm yesterday, it was revealed winger Matt Duffie could miss the rest of the season after re-injuring his left shoulder.

In another blow, prop Bryan Norrie has been hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge for an errant elbow that felled Brisbane captain Sam Thaiday on Friday night.

Norrie could escape a one-match suspension with an early guilty plea but would have 90 carry-over points going in to the finals.

Kiwi international Duffie returned on Saturday from a month on the sidelines after dislocating his shoulder against North Queensland in Round 19.

He played for Storm's feeder team in the NSW Cup but did not pull up well and may be headed for surgery.

"Matt has been getting rehab and we needed to see how it went. Unfortunately, he didn't pull up well," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said.

The 22-year-old had surgery on the shoulder in the off-season last year.

Storm's planned exhibition match against the US national team in New York in October was cancelled yesterday, after the US Rugby League failed to find the required funding.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That is disappointing SallyMay I read the below article yesterday afternoon and got a bit excited.
http://www.nrl.com/new-york-knights-win ... fault.aspx

The USA will play two further tests against Canada before their end-of-season clash with Melbourne Storm, scheduled for 20 October in Philadelphia. The AMNRL is hoping to sign off on the final details this week, and negotiate broadcast agreements that will see the match televised live in both the USA and Australia.