Is Adam Blair a Dud?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
roberttuz

Interesting that ex Storm players are never the same when they play for a new club

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl- ... 6320301345
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Both him and what you said are both myths, meet Orford and Bell, both went on to win a premiership,Inglis is still a complete lima lima lima duck who can only play well in big games

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's not quite true that all ex-storm players go downhill once they leave but, the vast majority seem to have struggled. Orford and Bell are more the exception than the rule.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I always thought he was overrated 2010 onwards. He was a good player, but he has past his peak (end of 2009). He's turned into an average, overpaid footballer who is highly acclaimed because of that form he showed almost 3 years ago when Bellyache moved him into the back row. When the Tigers announced he signed for them last year, I laughed and basically thought 'they can have him'. He would have been a waste of salary cap space if he stayed with the Storm (we were able to sign Hoffy and Chambers due to Blair's departure), and he had average seasons in 2010-11 and unfortunately he will be forever remembered for his last ever infamous moments in a Storm jersey.

In saying this though, he still played 121 games for the Storm and gave good service to the team when he was on his game.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

he is better in the front row having 20-30 min stints. he is not a 80 min backrower as he paces himself to last the game and doesn't involve himself enough
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigers don't have the discipline of Melbourne. Their captain is the biggest sook in the comp and their star player has proven time and again to be inconsistent. Is it any wonder Blair is struggling?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think it'll take this season to see if Blair comes right...same happened to GI - lot of adjusting after leaving the Storm! :P
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree Chip he has to learn how to play with a team that doesn`t have the work ethic that Storm have.(and no superstars to make him look good)
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:It's not quite true that all ex-storm players go downhill once they leave but, the vast majority seem to have struggled. Orford and Bell are more the exception than the rule.
Bit of a myth if you ask me

White is as good at Canberra, Folau OK First year at Broncos but 2nd year better then any he had at the Storm. Bell, Orford, Johnson all as good after they left, Friend alot better. King and Crocker are the wrong side of 30 but still going OK. Steve Turner doing exactly the same at the Dogs as he did here, Sam T a better player is somewhat still hit and miss and GI getting back to his very best now after an injury hit first year, where he was still OK.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree it is a bit of myth.

But once they leave Storm, they do not seem to excell like they did with Storm, they seem to just play good football not great.

White has not made origin since he left. Izzy did not score as many tries for the Broncos as he did with Storm. Friend did play well, but he never really got much game time with us and then the Titians did not want him anyone (they are dumb). Turner is doing the same, but again he never played origin again since leaving, same can be said of Crocker.

I think the jury is still out of G.I, he is still not doing super star stuff like he did at Storm. There are moments.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

we have (a lot of times) an embarrasment of a league show over here called 40/20 & Friend was a guest just the other week. They were talking about the Storm (really positively btw) in their round-up of the comp & Friend (asked about what it is that sets the Storm apart) reponded unless you've been there you don't know what hard work is...you are lucky to leave there (training) every day before 7pm & thats if you haven't got something specific to work on as well. And that's not to mention pre-season - said he's never been through tougher pre-seasons. Said he appreciated his time there. They also showed the recent clip of Cam talking about the attributes you need to play for Storm, hard work ethic, defense, and knowing your role in the team...oh, and going the whole 80. One of the few times I enjoyed watching it...usually skip it
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:I agree it is a bit of myth.

But once they leave Storm, they do not seem to excell like they did with Storm, they seem to just play good football not great.

White has not made origin since he left. Izzy did not score as many tries for the Broncos as he did with Storm. Friend did play well, but he never really got much game time with us and then the Titians did not want him anyone (they are dumb). Turner is doing the same, but again he never played origin again since leaving, same can be said of Crocker.

I think the jury is still out of G.I, he is still not doing super star stuff like he did at Storm. There are moments.
Hmmm....
White and Turner only played origin because of the coach, though I feel Turner deserved a chance. White has been good for Canberra though. Folau scored 37 tries in 38 appearences, 1 more then he had for us, for the broncos (19 in 16 his last year), thats a far better strike rate then he had at the Storm. Greg was good the 2nd part of last year and he's killing it now for Souths at FB.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Michael :P wrote:
glennb wrote:I agree it is a bit of myth.

Hmmm....
White and Turner only played origin because of the coach, though I feel Turner deserved a chance. White has been good for Canberra though. Folau scored 37 tries in 38 appearences, 1 more then he had for us, for the broncos (19 in 16 his last year), thats a far better strike rate then he had at the Storm. Greg was good the 2nd part of last year and he's killing it now for Souths at FB.
I hate to say this, but Steve Turner's brief origin cameo was a disaster (if I can recall, he only played for NSW because Bellyache wanted him to play). Inglis absolutely annihilated him in QLD's 30-0 win in Game 2, 2008. He looked completely out of his depth playing on the big stage for NSW and I doubt he will ever be selected by them again.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Former Storm Players Who Did Well at Other Clubs (Super League not included):
John Carlaw (played 24 games for Storm 1998) - would play in Warriors’ 2002 GF appearance after stint at Balmain/Wests Tigers between 1999-2001.

Brett Kimmorley (played 79 games for Storm 1998-2000) - was good but unspectacular for Cronulla (2002-08) and Canterbury (2009-10).

Paul Marquet (played 79 games for Storm 1998-2000) - won 2001 premiership with Newcastle.

Tony Martin (played 69 games for Storm 1998-2000) - had a good stint with the Warriors between 2004-07.

Paul Whatuira (played 6 games for Storm 2001) - probably the biggest success story who was a Storm reject, won 2003 Premiership with Penrith and 2005 Premiership with Wests Tigers.

Mitchell Sargent (played 35 games for Storm 2002-03) - played in North Queensland’s 2005 GF appearance.

Steve Bell (played 107 games for Storm 2001-05) - won 2008 premiership with Manly.

Matt Orford (played 120 games for Storm 2001-05) - won 2008 Dally M Medal and was premiership captain with Manly in the same year.

Nathan Friend (played 34 games for Storm 2003-06) - had a good career with Gold Coast 2007-11.

Israel Folau (played 52 games for Storm 2007-08) - had a better try scoring rate at Brisbane compared with Storm (37 tries in 39 games at the Broncos).

Jeremy Smith (played 67 games for Storm 2004, 2006-08) - won 2010 premiership with St. George Illawarra.

James Maloney (played 4 games for Storm 2009) - like Paul Whatuira, probably the only other Storm reject to have a great career with another club (Warriors), and appeared in the 2011 GF with them and has become a prolific goal kicker.

Steve Turner (played 105 games for Storm 2004, 2006-09) - has become a very consistent goal kicker with Canterbury.

Greg Inglis (played 117 games for Storm 2005-10) - after a slow start, has only started coming good with Souths after being moved to fullback in 2012 for them.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blair was never that good with us anyway. no real discipline and could not run straight into a hit up if his life depended on it - thank god we have ryles is all I'm saying