2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:Surely the backline will be:

1.Slater
2.Waqa
3.Chambers
4.O'Neill
5.Duffie
6.Hampton
7.Cronk
Yea probably. Watch an O'Neill/Duffie pairing defend will be scary.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

O'Neill has always been a quality winger. He has proven time and time again that he is not a centre. He's not big enough and he cannot read the attack when defending one in.

He is a rep level winger, we need to stop trying to shoe horn him into a position he is not suited to.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:O'Neill has always been a quality winger. He has proven time and time again that he is not a centre. He's not big enough and he cannot read the attack when defending one in.

He is a rep level winger, we need to stop trying to shoe horn him into a position he is not suited to.
100% agreed. Our only problem is we have way too many wingers and not enough centres.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

storma01 wrote:What about vave?? Surely he will be in the 17 somewhere??????!!!!!!!
He's yet to sign on for next season.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Happy with Hampton at 6 but with Sa'u and probably Blair moving on, our centre stocks are lacking.

In our current squad, only Fonua and Auva'a could play at centre (after Chambers of course). I haven't seen much of Auva'a and Fonua's defence on the wing is horrible let alone at centre, the hardest position in our game to defend in. Fonua in the centres would eliminate the problem of his air liability though. He is obviously an exceptionally powerful, nuggetty ball runner... never been an issue here, just defensive reads and a shorter man regularly beaten in the air. You can't really judge based on his NYC work at centre either, as the step up is huge to NRL defending at centre.

I expect us to chase a centre from somewhere which begs the question why we don't do some more to hold onto Bobby (unless the Titans are willing to pay huge overs for him).
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: I expect us to chase a centre from somewhere which begs the question why we don't do some more to hold onto Bobby (unless the Titans are willing to pay huge overs for him).
Just my thoughts but given how closely we have to watch our cap space with the amount of talent we have on our roster, i'm guessing that we have an absolute maximum price for each player and once it's reached we can't/won't go any higher. Also as you mention other clubs have been known to pay big overs for Storm players so i'm sure that was a factor in Bobby leaving as well.

I'm disappointed that he's moving on and would've like to keep him but if it meant paying much more for him to the detriment of other positions then i'd rather he did. Either way i'm sure the brains trust will have a few other options in mind to replace him.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RUMOUR - Aug 4: Manly's David Williams could link up with the Melbourne Storm if the Sea Eagles can't agree to a deal
English league club, the Salford City Reds, have set their sights on Canterbury's Frank Pritchard and Melbourne's Matt McGahan
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

what the hell r we gunna do with another winger? ??? looks like they have o'neill locked in for center in 2014 :angry4:
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

and they can FU#K RIGHT OFF from Matty McGahan
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Where is that from ? They're a bit late as Pritchard has just re-signed with the Dogs :lol:
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote:Where is that from ? They're a bit late as Pritchard has just re-signed with the Dogs :lol:
:lol: maybe there getting in early for 2016 :lol:
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Happy to stay a Mexican
Ryan Hinchcliffe rejected an offer from Parramatta to stay at Melbourne. So what you might say? We have been told Hinchcliffe knocked back an Eels offer which was $150,000 more than the Storm were throwing up. It seems no-one wants to play at Parramatta these days.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/news/n ... day-247066

i have been told vave is thinking of doing the same thing.. fingers crossed
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea I heard when he re-signed that he turned down massive overs to stay here. Vave is so underrated to other fans with what he does for us. Hopefully we can extend him.

Not sure why that Hinchy news is relevant now. Just another dig at Parra I guess :lol: