2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

you mean the year before, last year he was terrible when given a chance
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why would anyone consider having Maurice Blair as a first choice five-eighth?
Monsoon
Monsoon

He is a utility there for squad depth with NRL experience, worth keeping, in my opinion of course.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea Bobby Blair was terrible in the halves last year. His utility value is there but he really isn't anything more than a depth centre/backrower. No way is he a must re-sign.
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Storm may have rubbished the Carney rumours but you are all kidding yourself if you think the Storm shouldn't look into him. A proven 5/8 with Origin and Grand Final experience? Why not long into that? We did say after Widdop signed with the Dragons that they would be crazy not to look on the open market for a 5/8

What sort of money were we going to throw at Widdop? We have money to spend.

I don't understand the Carney is trouble with baggage thing either? He's done nothing wrong for a few years now? and when he was in trouble it was hardly anything shocking? He enjoyed a drink?

Carney plays alot like Widdop and a Cronk/Carney halves combo is very attractive
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Carney would want at least $500k and I would rather us spend that money elsewhere to make the team better. Simple as that really.

Don't see what Carney would offer us that Hampton, Mann, McGahan can't. We already have 3 dominate playmakers in the side, so whoever plays 5/8th for us next year will be a 3rd or 4th option anyway. Go out and spend the money on a young rep quality outside back or front rower imo.
Monsoon
Monsoon

I guess Bellamy likes Blair aswell, will play tonight.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Played like crap. We won't see him again.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dayne Weston has officially signed for the rest of the season
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

With Widdop leaving, I really think Daniel Mortimer should be considered as our next 5/8. Off contract with the Roosters and he would easily fit in alongside Cooper Cronk next year.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sure we've shown interest in him before.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm personally ecstatic with the Weston acquisition. I've always thought highly of the big man and was impressed by him every time he took the park last year with Penrith - he's a no fuss type of player which will make him a good fit for our club.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He has all the hallmarks of a classic Storm forward signing. Untapped potential and relatively unknown with the added bonus of a genuine desire to pull on a purple jumper. As long as the Storm work ethic can be instilled in him I'm sure he will be successful.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I too am very happy with the signing of Weston. He is a no fuss type of player who wants to wear the purple jumper. He will be the kind of guy who you can bring off the bench and know exactly what you are going to get from him. I actually first noticed Weston when he played for Burleigh in the Qld Cup in 2010.

I think he could be as good for the club as the last 26 year old prop with 60 games NRL experience we purchased. Coincidentally the other prop I am thinking off had also played with three clubs including the Sharks and Panthers (Bryan Norrie).

While he has only signed for the rest of this season, he has filled the last prop spot in our squad. And next season Rylesy will be gone so there is an additional prop spot open. So if Dayne can work hard and have a good next six months I think he will be at the Storm beyond this year.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote:With Widdop leaving, I really think Daniel Mortimer should be considered as our next 5/8. Off contract with the Roosters and he would easily fit in alongside Cooper Cronk next year.

I like Mortimer - it felt uncomfortable watching him play in the lower grades GF last year....he's too good for that (and much better than most the halves in the comp in my opinion) it would be nice to see him in purple; but the roosters bench must have been too good to pass up;

http://www.nrl.com/mortimer-signs-new-d ... fault.aspx

Short version; Mortimer resigns with the Roosters for another 2 years.