2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Colin Best (even though he'll be 34 in November), would be a fine addition to the backline IMO. Why does everyone bag old players who are over 30?. Sure everyone wants young players that are below 25 years of age in the backline, but a player like Colin Best or even Luke Burt for that matter would be a fine addition to the team. Bellyache would transform their careers like he has done with veteran forwards over the last few years. I've seen Best play this year and sure, he might not be scoring the amount of tries he used to, but it is his attacking and support plays in the centres that have him playing like he's a 20-25 year old. I also hope Anthony Quinn re-signs for next year as well.

As for Geddes and maybe even Shane Shackleton, they would be just yet another veteran prop that will find a name for themselves at the Storm and would be a handy replacement for Norrie (who I am predicting will leave) and Ryles (who will likely retire).
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

1999 wrote:Well what are we looking at for 2013? So far we have got locked in:

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
4. Will Chambers
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Here is everyone off contract this year (According to ZeroTackle.com):

Luke Capewell, Petero Civoniceva, Mitchell Dodds, Ben Te'o, Michael Bani, Shannon Boyd, Michael Chee Kam, Masada Iosefa, Drury Low, Nathan Massey, Sam Mataora, Dimitri Pelo, Michael Picker, Travis Waddell, Harlan Alaalatoa, Mitch Brown, Dale Finucane, Bryson Goodwin, Dene Halatau, Sam Kasiano, Kris Keating, Michael Lett, Luke MacDougall, Joel Romelo, David Stagg, Martin Taupau, Steve Turner, Jonathan Wright, Colin Best, Josh Cordoba, Sosaia Feki, Tyson Frizell, Isaac Gordon, Wade Graham, Ricky Leutele, John Morris, Tyrone Peachey, Ben Pomeroy, Nathan Stapleton, Anthony Tupou, Callum Tutauha, John Williams, Jamie Dowling, Phil Graham, Michael Henderson, Kayne Lawton, Steve Michaels, Mark Minichiello, Luke O'Dwyer, Jordan Rankin, Aidan Sezer, Matt White, Matt Ballin, Kieran Foran, Liam Foran, Darcy Lussick, Michael McDougall, Michael Oldfield, Brett Stewart, Jorge Taufua, Dean Whare, David Williams, Tony Williams, Luke Berkrey, Maurice Blair, Kenneath Bromwich, Mahe Fonua, Mitchell Garbutt, Michael Greenfield, Luke Kelly, Rory Kostjasyn, Jaiman Lowe, Todd Lowrie, Sika Manu, Jordan McLean, Shea Moylan, Dane Nielsen, Bryan Norrie, Justin O'Neill, Anthony Quinn, Jason Ryles, Siosaia Vave, Sisa Waqa, Dylan Collier, Micheal Luck, Russell Packer, Steve Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Omar Slaimankhel, Ukuma Ta'ai, Carlos Tuimavave, Bill Tupou, Chris Adams, Sam Anderson, Danny Buderus, Joel Edwards, Richie Fa'aoso, Chris Houston, Daine Laurie, Siuatonga Likiliki, Kevin Naiqama, Kyle O'Donnell, Robbie Rochow, Zeb Taia, Evarn Tuimavave, Mark Wade, Scott Bolton, Gavin Cooper, Ashley Graham, Glenn Hall, Luke Harlen, Callum Haywood, Sam Hoare, Dane Hogan, Ben Jones, Ethan Lowe, Tyson Martin, Moses Pangai, Aaron Payne, James Segeyaro, Ashton Sims, Ray Thompson, Ricky Thorby, Jordan Atkins, Cheyse Blair, Luke Burt, Jon Mannah, Casey McGuire, Fuifui Moimoi, Joseph Paulo, Daniel Penese, Justin Poore, Shane Shackleton, Ken Sio, Ben Smith, Nathan Smith, Damien Cook, Sandor Earl, Michael Gordon, Mitchel Johnson, Nafe Seluini, Arana Taumata, Junior Tia-Kilifi, Etu Uaisele, Junior Vaivai, Dayne Weston, George Burgess, Ryan Carr, Shaune Corrigan, Michael Crocker, Scott Geddes, Justin Hunt, Eddy Pettybourne, Nick Emmett, David Gower, Denan Kemp, Jeremy Latimore, Jake Marketo, Jarrod Thompson, Atelea Vea, Tinirau Arona, Justin Carney, Anthony Cherrington, Aidan Guerra, Adam Henry, Joseph Leilua, Jack Littlejohn, Mose Masoe, Anthony Minichiello, Anthony Mitchell, Sam Perrett, Lama Tasi, Daniel Tupou, Matt Bell, Ray Cashmere, Dane Chisholm, John Grant, Matt Groat, Tom Humble, Jacob Miller, Tim Moltzen, Junior Moors, Beau Ryan, Jack Spencer, Lote Tuqiri, Matt Utai.

Fill in the Blanks!
I'll try and keep it as realistic as possible.
3 - O'Neill (it was either him or Nielsen, I doubt we can afford to keep both)
5 - Fonua
10 - Norrie (I'd be mortified if he left us for a few extra bucks after we saved his career)
13 - Manu (gotta keep the faith)
15 - Vave (absolute lock the way he has started the season)
16 - Harris (will only be a matter of time, hopefully)
17 - Not sure... a cheap, experienced prop...

Lowrie, Quinn and Ryles are sadly let go unless they want to stay for minimum payments. Blair, Nielsen, Lowe are too expensive to keep. Moylan, Greenfield, Waqa are moved on. Kelly and Kostjasyn will move to get more game time.

McLean, Garbutt and Kenny will be kept for depth, not in the 17 yet.

Not sure about Berkrey?
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I have a feeling the end of this year will be the biggest cleanout of the roster in the club's history (even bigger than 2010). Everybody (and including myself) were thrilled that Coops re-signed, although it will come at a cost due to him being one of the highest paid players in the NRL. Unfortunately, I think the only players out of all the uncontracted that will stay are Lowrie, Quinn and maybe Ryles (only if he decides to play on next year for the Storm and not retire).

What's the big deal about re-signing Manu? Why waste the cap on an injury prone player who will only play around 10-15 games a year due to his hard running style that is slowly starting to take a toll on his body - the rate he's going his legs will be shot by the time he's 27-28.

I also have a feeling Norrie will chase the $$$ - maybe in Super League (although I agree with Lucas, it would be disappointing if he does because if the Storm didn't sign him, his career would have been on the scrapheap a couple of years ago and he would be playing park football with the Wagga Kangaroos).

I agree with the others though (Nielsen, Blair, Lowe, Waqa, Kelly, Kostjasyn, Moylan, Greenfield). I think it is a certainty that all these players will be forced out and the Storm will have to start fresh with new recruits and this year's U20's players next year.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was listening to some NRL guys talk the other day and they said after a player has been at the one club for ten years, the club gets two hundred thousand dollar discount in their salary cap. These guys were saying it should be more becuase it shows loyal by clu/player etc. Then they said that Cronk/Slater/Smith are all 10 year players next year. If this is true that is a 200k x 3 extra in the cap.

If all this is true, doesn't it mean the Storm have money in then salary cap.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

If anyones gunna leave the club in our backline due to salary cap then quinn will be the first, his on over 300k im pretty sure. tbh he is no way near the value he should be on, i belive quinnys good days at storm are fading . His getting near the end of his carrier, i think its time to let him go and lock up our youth players like fonua and oneil! That are just starting in the top grade.

(lowrie, lowe, kostjayson, neilson, waqa, greenfield, blair, moylan, kelly, ryles) i think will end up leaving the club .
We need to retain all our young youth players before anyone else signs them:

Tohu, kenny, garbutt, fonua, oneil we need to lock all them up !

Vave, norrie, manu i think we should hold onto. Vave has played a big part this year coming off the bench, his giving us alot of impact which is what we need.
Norrie well i think he should stay loyal to the club and stay on.
Manu his what we need in our back row, a strong hard running backrower. Adds aggression to our pack, i would love to see him stay.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I guess a big Congrats goes to Chip and Tohu

just announced on twitter Tohu has signed with the Storm for Two more Years

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

can you post a link to that, great news
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

im not saying it is a resigning but after training today frank ponessi came out and into the huddle....it got really quiet so u could hear some words....staying....storm.....2 years then the boys cheered and started slapping rory on the head who put his hand up and looked really happy

So if im right in my observations rory is staying as well as tohu

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

didn't rory sign for 2 years last year?
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Been following this kid for a while now from Auckland called Mason Lino.

The kid is a freak, Shaun Johnson 2.0.

He's playing under 20s for the Warriors and is only turning 18 this year.

Would love the club to get a hold of him! Groom him as Cronk's replacement.

He played against us last night in Toyota Cup and looked good. It's hard to see him progress with the Warriors because of Johnson and Tuimavave and Leuluai being in his way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

According to the smh, sika manu is likely to leave the club due to salary cap pressure. His wanted by 6 sydney clubs including ( parramatta, manly, bulldogs ect.) can't post link on my phone.

If we didn't sign hoffman he'd probally be staying.. But we do have a great replacement with TOHU HARRIS waiting in line.

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

according to rugby league week storm are in the running to pick up Darcy Lussick....i laugh every time i hear his name

imagin him with hinchy hahaha
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:according to rugby league week storm are in the running to pick up Darcy Lussick....i laugh every time i hear his name

Storm mustn't expect Ryles to be there next year.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:according to rugby league week storm are in the running to pick up Darcy Lussick....i laugh every time i hear his name

taupau from the dog sh1ts all over lussick!