The Storm D initiative- what are your thoughts?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I remember when Arthur Higgins used to call games on 3AK in the late 90s. It may well have carried on in to the 2000s but I wouldn't know as I refused to listen to his call. Stupid old fart didn't know the rules of the game to save himself!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think the club has,in previous years, put the ground announcer jobs up for tender ? Maybe the new regime is trying to keep it 'in house' by using Barrett ?
They seem to have consolidated a lot of the more vocal groups into the one area,(Thunder squad bays),which is probably a hell of a lot more effective than a contrived "Storm D" approach.
Didn't realise the "Bai Stand" had gone upmarket :lol: The new spot looks great though & is highly visible =D>
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah, I was wondering where the banner was. Since I'm in the Eastern stand I didn't see it until I watched the replay on TV. Those concrete walls are perfect for banners. I think slowly we'll see more fans 'claiming' different spots for banners - as long as MOPT don't start selling those walls to sponsors.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I was heading over to say Hi Ratty but got led astray ;)
I too hate the Storm D rubbish, it's embarrassing that someone in admin thinks the supporters need to be told when to cheer their team (and I also agree it makes us look like we're supporting the opposition) ::)

Just reaffirms my opinion that the current Storm Admin have no damn idea about the culture and history of the club, they treat everyone like idiots. It also doesn't help when newer supporters act like anything the club does is the second coming... :? Please stop making excuses for the admins incompetence. Most of the people here know what it was like way back when - it's nothing to do with "more members to look after" (because clearly they can't even get that right) and so much to do with a lack of respect for the bums on seats who promote the club for them!!

Ok rant over - for now :lol:

On another note, did anyone notice the metal strips on the walls this year?? They're for the new signage to be sold. So if you have banners & signs covering those you'll be in trouble :'(
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Bourbon Rat wrote:Didn't realise the "Bai Stand" had gone upmarket :lol: The new spot looks great though & is highly visible =D>
It was a difficult decision we made during the off season. Those of us who attend almost every home game
were sick of having to get to the stadium at "gates open" to ensure we got our seats (it was proving difficult
on numerous occasions to get there at that time). Unfortunately because we're now in a reserved seating area its
not as easy for extras to join us (though not impossible) and we apologise to those people for that (and any
extras are still welcome to join us, there are plenty of seats around us). We also apologise to those that usually
sit with us that were unaware of the change. We were certainly a bit slack in letting everyone know of the move.
On the plus side I think we're all pretty happy with the move (except the bar is a lot further away now :( )
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Tigger wrote:I was heading over to say Hi Ratty but got led astray ;)
NO PROBLEM - Plenty of time during the season 8)
Along with the usual 'picnic basket' I'm 'road testing' a new bourbon & a liqueur called "Black Cherry" :lol:

Tigger wrote:On another note, did anyone notice the metal strips on the walls this year?? They're for the new signage to be sold. So if you have banners & signs covering those you'll be in trouble :'(
Unless they start selling 'air space' my celebrations are safe & fortunately none of the new arrivals around the rat pack have pacemakers :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

mattstormy wrote:Arthur Higgins was the name I was trying to think of (and I think it was 2004-05 he was ground announcer, not 2002-03 as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Not only was he annoying, he was cringeworthy - didn't have a clue about the players names. Whatever happened to him?
I am positive Arthur was the ground announcer in 2002, I remember one game after the final siren he told the crowd that the next home game was going to be against either the Melbourne Knights or the Melbourne Tigers.

I was told that he did the gig for free such was his love of the game.
Hailstorm wrote:We also apologise to those that usually sit with us that were unaware of the change. We were certainly a bit slack in letting everyone know of the move.
On the plus side I think we're all pretty happy with the move (except the bar is a lot further away now )
I forgive you, it was a bit lonely watching the first part of the Under 20's game in the former Bai Stand.

And the bar is very very close, unfortunately only those in the Kearns Lounge are able to access it. ;)
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I typed in Arthur Higgins in YouTube to see if there was any videos of him and actually found out he used to commentate VFL games in the mid-80s (look up St. Kilda vs Hawthorn Round 4 1986). His voice was similar to when he called Storm games but after listening to him he seemed to know a lot more about Aussie Rules than Rugby League.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Arthur Higgins also read the sport on ABC News in Melbourne back in the day.